Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Clifford's Tower - York - Amazing Plans by English Heritage

Genealogy, Local, General
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Clifford's Tower - York - Amazing Plans by English Heritage

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 28th, 2021, 12:18 am

When you walk or drive around York this old building can be seen but not heard.

English Heritage are about to change that

If you are patient this video will reveal their plans to improve the visitors experience including a high level walkway and platform where the views over York will be worthy.

Clifford's Tower dates back to William the Conqueror

AiY

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: Clifford's Tower - York - Amazing Plans by English Heritage

Postby Nimrod103 » January 28th, 2021, 5:09 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:When you walk or drive around York this old building can be seen but not heard.

English Heritage are about to change that

If you are patient this video will reveal their plans to improve the visitors experience including a high level walkway and platform where the views over York will be worthy.

Clifford's Tower dates back to William the Conqueror

AiY

As I recall, EH submitted plans a couple of years ago to dig out part of the motte and build a kiosk/visitor centre. This was highly controversial, and was turned down. I presume this is plan B.
It solves the problem of so many tourists climbing to the top and finding an empty shell (keep), and being disappointed.
So in that respect it’s good. But the unpleasant part of my visit there was the municipal car park which surrounds it on two sides. The parking spaces were about the size for motorbikes, and was the most difficult car park to get in and out of.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 30th, 2021, 11:33 am

Thanks AiY, I really enjoyed that. Yes, it's well overdue for a bit of an upgrade. It must be nearly forty years since we took the kids up to it and found that there wasn't much going on. But what a history it's had. (Not all of it honourable.) Really looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I was rather amused to see the architect talking about how he was going to open out the area in front of the steps with a small piaggio. I can't wait to see what he can expect to accomplish with an Italian scooter, but hey, that's architects for you. ;)

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 30th, 2021, 4:46 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Thanks AiY, I really enjoyed that. Yes, it's well overdue for a bit of an upgrade. It must be nearly forty years since we took the kids up to it and found that there wasn't much going on. But what a history it's had. (Not all of it honourable.) Really looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I was rather amused to see the architect talking about how he was going to open out the area in front of the steps with a small piaggio. I can't wait to see what he can expect to accomplish with an Italian scooter, but hey, that's architects for you. ;)

BJ

I assume the idea of the Piaggio is to collect the money before people attempt the climb to the top of the motte, when some might give up half way, or loiter outside the gatehouse just to admire the view. Especially as the idea is to build seats on the way up.

From a castle enthusiasts point of view, one of the interests here is that it is an example of why it is a problem building a stone castle on top of a man made motte - the walls are now significantly splaying outwards, a bit like the tower of Pisa.

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » January 30th, 2021, 6:50 pm

When I was a student in York about a million years ago, much amusement was to be had running up the hill to touch the stonework then down again after a skinful of beer. There are Minsitry of Works/English Heritage concrete sign things on the slope which adds to the danger and hazard. Sledging down it in winter was also good fun, with similar disaster if you hit the signs.

Return to “History”