Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Frustrating Anacronym's and World War 1

Genealogy, Local, General
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Frustrating Anacronym's and World War 1

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 28th, 2021, 11:47 pm

A couple of my ancestors managed to obtain wounds in WW I

But ... their wounds are noted with anacronym's. Can someone point me in a direction to interpret them please

Thank you

AiY

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Frustrating Anacronym's and World War 1

Postby staffordian » December 29th, 2021, 8:43 am

Worth posting them here, AiY?

Someone here might know.

I "do" genealogy, but haven't come across this issue before but others might have.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 29th, 2021, 9:11 am

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » December 29th, 2021, 9:45 am

My Grandfather was wounded in 1917 at Passchendaele and luckily his service record survives. There were a number of acronyms applied to his medical notes, which ones are you particularly struggling with?

MM

PS - in the very likely event that I can't help you I would recommend you try a post on the Great War Forum ( https://www.greatwarforum.org/ )

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 31st, 2021, 12:30 am

Thank you for all your replies.

Can I fess up please - I can't find the record now :oops:

However, I have found out that my maternal Grandad's brother died at Ypres in 1916. The record doesn't say if he was killed in action or died of wounds. It just says "died".

AiY

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » December 31st, 2021, 12:43 pm

It's possible the circustances were never known, but of course many WW1 records where destroyed in the blitz. I was very lucky that my Grandad's service and pension record survived. It was an interesting investigation for the famiy as my mum knew almost nothing about her Father as he died when she was only three.

If you know which regiment and battalion your Grandfather was in and when he died it's sometimes possible to get some info from the official war diary of the regiment, these are often available on line from the National Archive. They make fascinating reading anyway. I have a first cousin once removed who died in 1916 during the battle of Le Transloy on the Somme and I managed to get a lot of info from the war diary of the 12th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade, which gave a vivid account of the battle on that day. I started off just with some medals I inherited from my Dad, which had a name on I didn't recognise, and it ended up with me visiting Rifleman W A Bown's grave in one of the many CWG sites in northern France. I doubt anyone had visited it since his Mother at the end of the war. I had managed to piece together exactly what happened on the day he died and shared it with the family who were all pleased that his sacrifice has not been forgotten.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 31st, 2021, 2:35 pm

I also looked up my grandfather's record, but it was such a long time ago that I've forgotten exactly where! (Both my grandfathers got shot, which was not the same as saying that they were shot. :| ) Both of them recovered and both returned to the trenches, where they both somehow survived the war. For which I am personally more than grateful. )

I'd have thought that one of the ex-servicemen's organisations would have the sort of information that AiY is after. It would, after all, have been germane to any war pensions that the injured received? Or maybe try the Royal Army Medical Corps, which commissioned the official Medical History of the War from Major-General Sir William Macpherson in 1922? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Army_Medical_Corps)

In case it helps (and of course it might not ;) ), here's a fairly comprehensive listing of current medical acronyms (https://www.slideshare.net/kharr/medica ... s-glossary). It includes AMA ("against medical advice"), but mercifully not CTD ("circling the drain").

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm

Another up vote for the greatwarforum.org.

There are people who post there who are incredibly well informed about all aspects of WWI. They helped me immensely with finding details of my maternal grandfather.

Return to “History”