Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

1921 census

Genealogy, Local, General
malkymoo
Lemon Slice

1921 census

Postby malkymoo » January 8th, 2022, 11:41 am

Of interest to family history researchers, the 1921 census is now available on the findmypast.co.uk site. Scans or transcripts are available, a little pricy at £3.50 a scan or £2.50 for a transcript. I have bought a couple of scans and the quality is good.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: 1921 census

Postby staffordian » January 8th, 2022, 2:58 pm

I too have also bought some, four in total. The scan quality is good, as you say, but I was surprised to see the address is not on the householders form. It appears on a front page which you need to download separately, but is available at any time once the household page has been purchased. It is found under a heading of Other Materials, or some such name. Also available for free is the cover, a narrative of the census area and two map pages showing the area in question, though not at a particularly large scale. Interestingly, the narrative page informs the enumerator how far it is from one extreme of his area to the other.

On a sample of four, my only concern (which I've also read of elsewhere) is the transcription quality. When I searched for my grandfather's entry it didn't come up as the surname was wrongly transcribed. An "a" was transcribed as an "o", a mistake which I am well aware of from my own experience, but on looking at the scan, there is little excuse for it as the writing is neat and clear.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 8th, 2022, 3:02 pm

These comments apply to England but not Scotland. I am told that the Scottish 1921 census details will be released in the second half of this year.

Dod

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 8th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:These comments apply to England but not Scotland. I am told that the Scottish 1921 census details will be released in the second half of this year.

Dod

Presumably only available via the official ScotlandsPeople website?

It wouldn't surprise me to find it a little cheaper than the FindMyPast England and Wales offering, which seems a little overpriced. It will hopefully be cheaper or included within subscriptions in due course, once the novelty and ability to milk it subsides.

The only problem I have with the Scottish model is the lack of a subscription option; everything being Pay as You go. But I'm willing to forgive them that given the much better information available on vital records (birth, marriage and death registrations)

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 8th, 2022, 3:27 pm

staffordian wrote:On a sample of four, my only concern (which I've also read of elsewhere) is the transcription quality.

The transcribers can be accused of being ignorant of British geography. Since when was it likely that someone on a London census in North West London would have been born in Kilburn, Derbyshire rather than Kilburn, London ?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 8th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Alaric wrote:
staffordian wrote:On a sample of four, my only concern (which I've also read of elsewhere) is the transcription quality.

The transcribers can be accused of being ignorant of British geography. Since when was it likely that someone on a London census in North West London would have been born in Kilburn, Derbyshire rather than Kilburn, London ?

That's interesting. It makes me think that rather than simply transcribing, they are adding their own assumptions.

Or are they actually mistranscribing London as Derbyshire?

Also interesting as I lived for several years in the next village to Kilburn, Derbyshire. Hard to confuse it with London :D

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 8th, 2022, 4:11 pm

staffordian wrote:
Dod101 wrote:These comments apply to England but not Scotland. I am told that the Scottish 1921 census details will be released in the second half of this year.

Dod

Presumably only available via the official ScotlandsPeople website?

It wouldn't surprise me to find it a little cheaper than the FindMyPast England and Wales offering, which seems a little overpriced. It will hopefully be cheaper or included within subscriptions in due course, once the novelty and ability to milk it subsides.

The only problem I have with the Scottish model is the lack of a subscription option; everything being Pay as You go. But I'm willing to forgive them that given the much better information available on vital records (birth, marriage and death registrations)

Yes I asked them on that site. I think they are part of the National Records of Scotland. It can get quite expensive but you buy so many points for £10 and it works out at about £1.50 an image I think.

I am anxious to check part of my family and also my own street.

Dod

Return to “History”