Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Newspaper archive freebee

Genealogy, Local, General
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Newspaper archive freebee

Postby GoSeigen » February 16th, 2024, 5:14 am

Newspapers.‌com has free access from now until midnight on Monday. That's four days to dig out some salacious articles about your ancestors. :-)

Certainly my wife's family were in the crime pages on a very regular basis -- I am still regularly finding articles about incidents I hadn't seen before so the complete list will be truly impressive. :shock:

GS

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Newspaper archive freebee

Postby GoSeigen » February 16th, 2024, 10:24 am

Oh no, sorry if I have misled anyone. I just tried to use the site and found it was not giving free access. When I re-read the email I'd received I see that access is only via the link in the email, which I presume you receive if you are already registered with the site.

When I used the link it worked fine, but I'm not sure if that will help anyone who isn't registered. However the link resolves to this url so maybe it will work:

https://go.newspapers.com/freeaccess?xid=6051&utm_source=Internal&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=FebFA_Feb-2024

GS

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 16th, 2024, 10:42 am

Does this include Dublin, late 19th, early 20th century?

clissold345
2 Lemon pips

Postby clissold345 » February 16th, 2024, 11:49 am

GoSeigen wrote:...

When I used the link it worked fine, but I'm not sure if that will help anyone who isn't registered. However the link resolves to this url so maybe it will work:

https://go.newspapers.com/freeaccess?xid=6051&utm_source=Internal&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=FebFA_Feb-2024

GS

Yes the link seems to work. It says I have free access until 19th Feb @ 11:59PM, and I did one search.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 20th, 2024, 7:34 am

Well that was rewarding!

My wife has a rare name, such that any individual in the world with that name is probably a fourth cousin or closer. That makes searching for information a breeze. However they were a large family and fragmented by emigration, so there's a whole branch we know little about that I have been researching. Not only was this clan replete with career criminals, they also lived in a time and place (early c20 USA) where every little event got documented in some local rag or other.

So I just spent the weekend trawling through hundreds of newspaper articles about the family and putting together a decent history for a few of the people and most usefully, one couple died young and I managed to find an obituary naming two of their daughters who previously have been quite elusive (parents unmarried and MMN as common as Smith or Brown!).

Happy days...

GS

Return to “History”