Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to nimnarb,Clitheroekid,AndyPandy,DrFfybes,smokey01, for Donating to support the site

What do you think happens when we die?

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Re: What do you think happens when we die?

Postby MuddyBoots » May 4th, 2024, 8:32 pm

One possible avenue is to investigate out of body experiences (OBEs) or astral travelling, where people claim to leave their body whilst alive and to not only visit other places on earth, but other astral realms where spirits of the dead are also present. The problem is that these (like near-death experiences) are subjective and don't provide objective evidence to convince sceptics and scientists (although there may be some research into remote viewing, and there's reports that intelligence agencies have experimented with it.)

I've had a couple of OBEs myself, clear enough to make me open to the possibility of life after death and other dimensions but of course I can't prove that it wasn't some kind of dream.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 17th, 2024, 8:45 pm

These are, of course, near-death experiences. What happens after death may be completely different.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 18th, 2024, 11:43 pm

Grey's never die. They at worst just roll back to their last backup (upload of their consciousness).

Biological life evolves according to its environment. Environments are varying and unstable and AI (advanced intelligent life) would have to evolve into a technological life in order to realistically survive/travel. 100 light years journeys for a device that can slow its internal clock to one tick per year ... is less than a 2 minute journey away.

To expand outward involves initial subliminal/slow speeds, but once reached might have others conveyed at light (communications) speed. Fire a small device at high subliminal speed, that upon arrival is designed to construct a 'replicator and communicator' and thereafter things/beings might also be conveyed at light speed to that location.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element throughout the universe. Metal hydrogen has never been seen, but if scientists make it they'd be able to conduct electricity without resistance, or have a superfluid that defies gravity. Room temperature superconductivity. Believed to exist inside giant planets like Jupiter the closest that scientist come has been to squeeze hydrogen between two pieces of diamond and seen it transform into a lustrous, shiny thing - what you expect for a metal. Predictions suggest metal hydrogen may even be metastable - remaining solid even after the crushing pressure is removed.

The commonly believed grey alien bodies are ... basic/simple humanoid containers formed according to our local biology/environment. Others might take the form of a dolphin or suchlike. Initially a empty vessel that then has a conscious 'uploaded' to it from a distance at light speed communication speeds. Its memories/diary are then recorded and the conscious 'downloaded' and communicated back. For such AI there is no death, as are distances trivial. Biological life such as humans ... are seen as trivial/irrelevant, of passing interest, little different to a nest of ants. Ants may have their own ant-heaven and believe their soul moves into some other plane. AI might feel no need to believe in such religious matters. But belief and communities are a good thing for biological beings - helping others. Just a shame that so many have died in arguments about which belief/religion is the 'better'. Very much like fleas arguing about which flea owns the dog.

BellaHubby
Lemon Pip

Postby BellaHubby » July 19th, 2024, 8:37 am

1nvest wrote:Grey's never die. They at worst just roll back to their last backup (upload of their consciousness).

Biological life evolves according to its environment. Environments are varying and unstable and AI (advanced intelligent life) would have to evolve into a technological life in order to realistically survive/travel. 100 light years journeys for a device that can slow its internal clock to one tick per year ... is less than a 2 minute journey away.

To expand outward involves initial subliminal/slow speeds, but once reached might have others conveyed at light (communications) speed. Fire a small device at high subliminal speed, that upon arrival is designed to construct a 'replicator and communicator' and thereafter things/beings might also be conveyed at light speed to that location.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element throughout the universe. Metal hydrogen has never been seen, but if scientists make it they'd be able to conduct electricity without resistance, or have a superfluid that defies gravity. Room temperature superconductivity. Believed to exist inside giant planets like Jupiter the closest that scientist come has been to squeeze hydrogen between two pieces of diamond and seen it transform into a lustrous, shiny thing - what you expect for a metal. Predictions suggest metal hydrogen may even be metastable - remaining solid even after the crushing pressure is removed.

The commonly believed grey alien bodies are ... basic/simple humanoid containers formed according to our local biology/environment. Others might take the form of a dolphin or suchlike. Initially a empty vessel that then has a conscious 'uploaded' to it from a distance at light speed communication speeds. Its memories/diary are then recorded and the conscious 'downloaded' and communicated back. For such AI there is no death, as are distances trivial. Biological life such as humans ... are seen as trivial/irrelevant, of passing interest, little different to a nest of ants. Ants may have their own ant-heaven and believe their soul moves into some other plane. AI might feel no need to believe in such religious matters. But belief and communities are a good thing for biological beings - helping others. Just a shame that so many have died in arguments about which belief/religion is the 'better'. Very much like fleas arguing about which flea owns the dog.

Which AI tool did you copy that from?

bh

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » July 24th, 2024, 10:05 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:One possible avenue is to investigate out of body experiences (OBEs) or astral travelling, where people claim to leave their body whilst alive and to not only visit other places on earth, but other astral realms where spirits of the dead are also present. The problem is that these (like near-death experiences) are subjective and don't provide objective evidence to convince sceptics and scientists (although there may be some research into remote viewing, and there's reports that intelligence agencies have experimented with it.)

I've had a couple of OBEs myself, clear enough to make me open to the possibility of life after death and other dimensions but of course I can't prove that it wasn't some kind of dream.

There have been tests of out of body experiences in hospitals where patients reported floating near the ceiling and seeing themselves. The researches had placed pictures and other objects on top of high cabinets which would be visible from such a vantage point. As far as I am aware although the patients reported the experience none were able to report seeing any of those pictures or other objects.

ukmtk
2 Lemon pips

Postby ukmtk » July 25th, 2024, 9:59 am

If I remember rightly the objects that they placed on the cabinets were unusual ones - designed to be striking and memorable.
I.e. they were designed to make somebody notice them and think "what's that doing in a hospital?".
I think that these were placed in A&E scenarios - i.e. resuscitation rooms.
Nobody resuscitated mentioned them.

abbeymeadster

Postby abbeymeadster » July 25th, 2024, 9:01 pm

I remember reading about that test in resuscitation rooms too. Clearly the implication is that although people are experiencing out-of-body sensations near death, their "souls" or whatever aren't actually leaving their bodies otherwise they'd be able to see the items high up.

I have had a number of out-of-body experiences at the start of a migraine. I sense myself leaving my body and watching myself from a high position up above. It's very odd because it feels that I can no longer control my body, it's more like watching a film. There's a disconnect between my thinking self floating up above and my body down below. Sometimes it comes with a very strong sense of deja vu, in that I will know exactly what will be said or done in the next few minutes.

I've always assumed it's to do with bad brain wiring / electrical misfunction in a migraine and I guess the same thing happens near death when the person's brain is shutting down.

Return to “The Meaning of Life”