Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Necessity of Virtue

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

The Necessity of Virtue

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 4th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I came across Jordan Peterson, a Canadian psychologist who seems to be 'having a moment' right now, thanks to one of my sons who said that he was popular with some of his fellow university students. I thought it would be interesting to see what was attracting some of them to his lectures, and having listened to quite a few of them myself, I have to say that if they are listening to his work then from my point of view it's a very good thing.

This lecture is about 50 minutes in length:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUJHNPMUyU

RC

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: The Necessity of Virtue

Postby redsturgeon » February 6th, 2019, 9:03 am

He is an interesting character who has garnered an enormous following mainly from his you tube videos. He has had some highly publicised run ins with various interviewers and his appearances against aggressive interviewing are an object lesson in remaining calm in the face of aggressive questioning. Although he does undertones of seething anger quite well he usually keeps his arguments on point.

He unfortunately has become a darling of the alt right which is something he does not seem to mind although I don't think he is especially right wing himself but he is certainly a different animal from the usual left leaning liberal university professor of psychology.

Personally I do not like his folksy, homespun philosophy based on lessons from mythology and the bible selectively backed up with research in his chosen field. I have his book but his style and his constant biblical references have been so annoying that i am less than halfway through it after a year.

John

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Re: The Necessity of Virtue

Postby GJHarney » February 18th, 2019, 7:59 am

He always comes across as a self-satisfied rather ignorant person to me. His grasp of history and politics is weak, while his 'philosophy' is a combination of self-evident commonplace parables and superficial analysis of human development. His concept of the evils of 'cultural Marxism' are hilarious (and not just because what he tries to describe is not anything to do with Marx).

He is rather popular with a subset of privileged white boys (and men who are still boys) for the simple fact that he allows them to feel aggrieved by their own inadequacies.

Return to “The Meaning of Life”