Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Hand of God

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: The Hand of God

Postby bungeejumper » January 13th, 2021, 8:39 am

XFool wrote:The American Abyss

[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/magazine/trump-coup.html]The New York Times Magazine[/url

Excellent argument, that expresses a lot of pretty obvious points that need saying more clearly.
Post-truth is pre-fascism, and Trump has been our post-truth president. When we give up on truth, we concede power to those with the wealth and charisma to create spectacle in its place. Without agreement about some basic facts, citizens cannot form the civil society that would allow them to defend themselves. If we lose the institutions that produce facts that are pertinent to us, then we tend to wallow in attractive abstractions and fictions. Truth defends itself particularly poorly when there is not very much of it around

That would have been no news to Goebbels, who wrote a whole treatise about what you could do if you could only defeat the public's faith in the truth by means of an avalanche of lies. It messes up the brain. And then the messed-up brain messes up everything else, and you've got 'em all roped and tied.

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 13th, 2021, 3:06 pm

For an amusing take on the recent history of the US Republican Party and how we got to where we are:

BBC Sounds: The Republicans

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 13th, 2021, 4:11 pm

bungeejumper wrote:That would have been no news to Goebbels, who wrote a whole treatise about what you could do if you could only defeat the public's faith in the truth by means of an avalanche of lies. It messes up the brain. And then the messed-up brain messes up everything else, and you've got 'em all roped and tied.

BJ

Interesting comment about Goebbels, having listened to one of Donny junior's post-election rants about 'Total War':

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 34841.html

...to fight each and every one to the death...

I can't be the only person to have recognised the phrase made famous by Goebbels at the speech he made at the Sportpalast in 1943.

The man knows no shame, like his father.

RC

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » January 20th, 2021, 8:53 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:Taken2often now seems to have his answer as to whether God would intervene as Congress have certified that Biden will now be president from the 20th.

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mJF08RbdZc&feature=emb_rel_end

in particular from 1hr 14 minutes onwards.

Something tells me that this answer may not be acceptable.

And now fully confirmed that God has not intervened as Biden has been inaugurated as President. Trump broke with tradition by not attending his successor's inauguration and instead flew to Joint Base Andrews a military base in Maryland for what was a sparsely attended sendoff ceremony - many leading Republicans instead attending Biden's inauguration. He then left for Mar-a-Lago in Florida where he intends to live.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/20/trump-leaves-white-house-biden-to-be-sworn-in

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2021, 9:52 am

ursaminortaur wrote:Trump broke with tradition by not attending his successor's inauguration and instead flew to Joint Base Andrews a military base in Maryland for what was a sparsely attended sendoff ceremony - many leading Republicans instead attending Biden's inauguration.

But not without his 21 bum salute, I notice. I seriously doubted whether he'd be given that honour, but I suppose the military figured it was the easiest way to get him off the premises?
He then left for Mar-a-Lago in Florida where he intends to live.

Well, he can't live there of course, because he's only allowed to reside there for three weeks at a time. I gather that the Trump clan have clubbed together to buy a $40 million building plot on the coast, where they can all live together. Sounds good to me. Anybody know where we can get a big beautiful wall built? :lol:

BJ

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 21st, 2021, 11:31 am

bungeejumper wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:Trump broke with tradition by not attending his successor's inauguration and instead flew to Joint Base Andrews a military base in Maryland for what was a sparsely attended sendoff ceremony - many leading Republicans instead attending Biden's inauguration.

But not without his 21 bum salute, I notice.

That's certainly novel! Perhaps appropriate though... :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 21st, 2021, 12:24 pm

XFool wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:But not without his 21 bum salute, I notice.

That's certainly novel! Perhaps appropriate though... :)

Yeah, it was a real disappointment. Twenty one shells, and they all missed. :(

BJ

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Postby argoal » January 23rd, 2021, 2:19 pm

The Storm gave us a bright sunny day, the Kraken was a tadpole and there was no Plan B.

What is a duped conspiracy theorist to do?

Do you double down, do you admit defeat, or do you slink off quietly and hope no one remembers that you swallowed the lies of a blagger on the internet.

Oh, Q, why have thou forsaken us?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 24th, 2021, 10:09 pm

I wonder if taken2often watched this evening's BBC 2 TV programme at 9pm - The Trump Show: Downfall ;)

If he did, I doubt he enjoyed it as much as I did. Loved that Citizen Kane analysis.

The BBC used the subjective "far fetched" description once again; same presentation, same crazy people! (But, let's not go there, huh?)

Insanity. Pure insanity...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 25th, 2021, 5:50 am

Moderator Message:
I think this topic has probably run it's course now, given the recent events on the other side of the Atlantic, so I'll now lock this thread - Itsallaguess

Return to “The Meaning of Life”