Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

You heard it here first?

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: You heard it here first?

Postby servodude » June 13th, 2023, 1:17 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
XFool wrote:Jesus! Can this be true? What is happening to us? Is it something in the water? ( :!: )

Quarter in UK believe Covid was a hoax, poll on conspiracy theories finds

The Guardian

Survey also finds one in seven say violence is fair response to alleged conspiracies such as ‘15-minute cities’

"The UK is home to millions more conspiracy theorists than most people realise, with almost a quarter of the population believing Covid-19 was probably or definitely a hoax, polling has revealed."

"The findings, on the eve of the first evidence session of the UK’s public inquiry into the pandemic, which killed more than 227,000 people in the UK, come from an April survey by Savanta for King’s College London (KCL) and the BBC."

"The general public underestimates the number of conspiracy theorists by approximately 4 million adults, according to the researchers who uncovered what they described as “shocking” attitudes."

I read it too, and had much the same reaction as you. 'What is happening to us', indeed.

RC

You've all been genetically altered by a "vaccine"?

Or 25% of folk responding to whatever the question was are made up of the lower extremities of the "I can think" curve and its union with the "I'm taking the pi**" curve?

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » June 14th, 2023, 8:02 pm

Xfool we have the devide. After years of watching I now believe that there is a great Divide. Those on the right with a small c have a better sense of right and wrong. The more Liberal and Left wing you are, your Moral Standards Drop. The Central State is more important than the individual. So abusing the massess, that ok. It for our own good. I think that why you and I are so different. I am an Individual, you are part of the Group Think ie the majority. No problem.

Bob

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 14th, 2023, 8:24 pm

taken2often wrote:Xfool we have the devide. After years of watching I now believe that there is a great Divide. Those on the right with a small c have a better sense of right and wrong. The more Liberal and Left wing you are, your Moral Standards Drop. The Central State is more important than the individual. So abusing the massess, that ok. It for our own good. I think that why you and I are so different. I am an Individual, you are part of the Group Think ie the majority. No problem.

I think I'm with you on The Great Divide. It's just that, from where I'm sitting it looks to be a divide between those who believe in reality (or at least are constrained by reality) and those who seem to just believe in any fantasy about the world they want (unconstrained by any reality).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 14th, 2023, 9:06 pm

I forgot to mention:

taken2often wrote:I think that why you and I are so different. I am an Individual, you are part of the Group Think ie the majority. No problem.

I note, Bob, that ironically, your views and opinions seem to be identical to all similar people who define themselves as "an individual" and who like to "think for themselves".

Curious. :)

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » June 14th, 2023, 9:31 pm

taken2often wrote:Xfool we have the devide. After years of watching I now believe that there is a great Divide. Those on the right with a small c have a better sense of right and wrong. The more Liberal and Left wing you are, your Moral Standards Drop. The Central State is more important than the individual. So abusing the massess, that ok. It for our own good. I think that why you and I are so different. I am an Individual, you are part of the Group Think ie the majority. No problem.

Bob

Have you seen the news recently about the Moral standards of those in charge in Westminster, your post shows little evidence of it. Or is that why you say small c conservative because you are trying to pretend its OK that your values have been taken and twisted to shreds. Is it not Clear that the right is even more amoral than you imagine the leftists and liberals to be. Also this concept that the leaders of are the new anti-establishment when they are clearly part of it and come from it

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 16th, 2023, 9:39 am

XFool wrote:Jesus! Can this be true? What is happening to us? Is it something in the water? ( :!: )

Quarter in UK believe Covid was a hoax, poll on conspiracy theories finds

The Guardian

Survey also finds one in seven say violence is fair response to alleged conspiracies such as ‘15-minute cities’

An interesting followup (and antidote?) to the report that prompted the above post:

Extreme websites peddle conspiracies, but what about the mainstream outlets that do it too?

The Guardian

Addressing the problem will mean taking on some of the most powerful voices in the country

I remember I did have a few doubts at the time (this was an online survey so...) but didn't make any attempt to follow through.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » June 16th, 2023, 10:54 am

Hi Xfool. The first three weeks made sense. The Lockdown after that made no sense but what Politician is going against Science. The process after that did in Boris and Trump. Ruined the economy. Ruined the Work Ethic. It was ok for the essential workers to go out and risk their lives. All it needed was some common sense. Keep working if you have could have separation. I saw a Construction site in America with dozens of earth moving machines and trucks all parked up. One man per machine but cannot work, it was madness.

The other part seemed to be that the Establishment liked it as it gave them more control. Get people used to hand outs, open to abuse. Who to blame Politicians of course. So now the price has to be paid. Inflation, Big Wage increases = more inflation.

This one off the wall. Global agreement to increase the price of fuel, as long as the providers do not lose money , indeed make more. A forced reduction in consumption due to cost. A geen Success. Who are worst off the Poor and Working Poor as always.

As to the divide you prove the point The majority have to be right and the Individual could never be right. Group Think (Sometimes the Mob).
I am happy to accept that as it has always been thus.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 16th, 2023, 2:38 pm

taken2often wrote:Hi Xfool. The first three weeks made sense. The Lockdown after that made no sense but what Politician is going against Science. The process after that did in Boris and Trump. Ruined the economy. Ruined the Work Ethic. It was ok for the essential workers to go out and risk their lives. All it needed was some common sense. Keep working if you have could have separation. I saw a Construction site in America with dozens of earth moving machines and trucks all parked up. One man per machine but cannot work, it was madness.

The other part seemed to be that the Establishment liked it as it gave them more control. Get people used to hand outs, open to abuse. Who to blame Politicians of course. So now the price has to be paid. Inflation, Big Wage increases = more inflation.

This one off the wall. Global agreement to increase the price of fuel, as long as the providers do not lose money , indeed make more. A forced reduction in consumption due to cost. A geen Success. Who are worst off the Poor and Working Poor as always.

As to the divide you prove the point The majority have to be right and the Individual could never be right. Group Think (Sometimes the Mob).
I am happy to accept that as it has always been thus.

I think, like other 'individualists' you are overcomplicating and overthinking the matter. IMO, generally most things in life are pretty well as they appear to be.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 18th, 2023, 11:17 pm

Another article on the theme of conspiracy theories:

Conspiracy theories are festering in Britain – and our politicians are making it worse

The Guardian

Of course people blame a ‘distant elite’ when politicians are often distant and elitist. But MPs must tackle misinformation

Return to “The Meaning of Life”