Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Middle-aged spread and hypothyroidism

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Middle-aged spread and hypothyroidism

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 1st, 2019, 10:45 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I too have lived on a very limited budget ... I lived for a couple of years on little more than maize, beans, tomatoes and spinach. Healthy enough but I'd have given a lot for a decent loaf of bread and a pound of cheddar!
RC

Hmm, sounds comparable. Nutritionally speaking, I'd imagine maize+beans must be pretty similar to pasta+beans. And yes, cheese was somewhere up there with booze in the grab-some-when-at-someone-else's-table league, 'cos it was far too expensive to buy!

It was 2003 when I was picking the blackberries as late as the second half of November, by which time they were of course shrivelled remains. These days I stop picking them at least two months earlier, as by that time they're clearly no longer as good as a range of fruit I can buy.

Still no noticeable effect on the waistline, as measured by trouser size. Mine had reached its current 38" by the turn of the century.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 6th, 2019, 10:04 am

Tuna is quite high in mercury but other fish are lower and can be eaten more than once a week.

https://www.disabled-world.com/calculat ... ercury.php

John

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 8th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Snorvey wrote:I'm 51 and did 24 hour fasts once a week until July last year. From there I trained myself into not eating after dinnertime (my big failing...choc... wine etc) then to eating just 3 meals a day. No sugar and little alcohol

I too have a dodgy knee and enjoy cycling. The weather is often to easy an excuse not to go though. I had a turbo trainer but it wasn't the same. So I indoor row 4 or 5 times a week and do an occasional weights session. (for reps, not sheer weight).

I was 15 stone a year ago and now tip the scales at 11 stone 8.

When you're fitter, you just want to get out there... hence all the walking recently.

I want to get down to that weight again but I'm a foodie...........anyway, Snorvey.. interested in your rowing machine. It would appear that it exersizes the lot, having looked online. Mine would have to go outside though,(ample space and covered) don't have the room indoors. Saw on House of Cards a rowing machine with a water bowl at the bottom, looked real cool.

I also lost from about 15 stone down to 12.5 in 3 months last year but it was more mind over matter and half killed myself running on the spot for hours on end.... until I found a few incredible restaurants and only that mattered. :D Seriously, got to do something and stomach starting to spill over and effort putting my pants on. Not to mention trying to give up the puffs which makes me more hungry.................arrggghhhh but think a rowing machine would give me a purpose again to lose weight quickly..............or perhaps its all wishful thinking?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » February 10th, 2019, 12:13 am

Snorvey wrote:Whichever one you choose, rowing is the business. 84% of your muscles are employed in a rowing stroke and there are significant cardio benefits.

And there's always the added excitement of hooking a decent sized trout :) .
But the boats don't go out until the brown trout season starts in the middle of March - so its bicycle time on the local trails in the off season.
But I'm a bit puzzled to the references about keeping the boat in the garage, and being close to a TV screen.
Our boats are anchored in the loch, and they are not fitted with TV screens. And as for blowing a hooly, my lad once ventured out in such a breeze, and the rope to his drogue (an underwater parachute that acts as a sea anchor) snapped, and he and the hooly disappeared fast down the loch. He got plenty of exercise rowing back!
However I've still got to admit that in spite of my rowing and cycling, the spare tyre around my waist is showing little signs of diminishing. Starvation beckons.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 10th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Snorvey wrote: Weight loss always begins in the kitchen.

Or, in my experience: Weight loss always begins and ends in the kitchen.

Just been making sourdough bagels. Think I'm gonna need a bigger rowing machine ;)

VRD

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”