Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Endoscopy

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Endoscopy

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Dear Diary 19/07/19

Relax, you'll only retch a little :shock:

They didn't tell me it would take ten minutes to get the damn thing past the entrance to my throat. Then another five minutes of searching. I was retching for 90% of the time. Sore and exhausted now. And the Dr's bedside manner needed regulating by the senior nurse (bless her she was brilliant)

Anyways they tell me I have a hiatus hernia. Can they really cause so much pain? It wakes me up during the night and I always feel hungry. I've tried fruit and soup days but that hasn't helped.

The NHS website isn't very helpful neither.

I will check how CPAP interacts with this sort of issue. I suspect it won't help.

They will book a follow up and hopefully explain stuff a little more. I can't find anything much on the internet that describes the amount of pain I've been getting from it.

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Endoscopy

Postby Dod101 » July 19th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear about this. I thought your medical problems had been sorted! I cannot help with this sort of stuff because I know nothing.

Hope all goes well

Dod

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » July 19th, 2019, 11:26 pm

No medical knowledge AiY but lying down flat (I remember from years ago) used to set off the pain. It felt alarming at the time but I'm happy to say it has never reoccurred after whatever pills they prescribed (I don't remember what). Maybe for now if you raised up two or three pillows?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 12:00 am

Dod101 wrote:Sorry to hear about this. I thought your medical problems had been sorted! I cannot help with this sort of stuff because I know nothing.

Hope all goes well

Dod

Thank you. I too thought my medical problems were "under management" :roll: But about a year ago I started with "tummy pains". I've had the three fingered prostrate exam ( :shock: :shock: ), a CT scan, ultrasound blood tests, urine tests and the dreaded poo jar test :lol: I changed GP's "for a second opinion" and the second one gave me what she described as a poo jar - I suppose you had to be there :roll: And today a lovely endoscopy. I'm not sure whether all this means they're being thorough or are just floundering around.

Anyway I manned up and squeezed the senior nurse's hand 8-) . The Doctor was getting frustrated with either me or the situation which was the endoscope wasn't going down my throat. The Senior Nurse did say to me I was in control and if I didn't want to continue that was always my choice. Although looking at me she was clearly letting the Doctor know I wasn't the cause of the problem. She held the situation together. She really was the backbone of the NHS in that room today. Good for her.

I've tried several times to write about my condition. Because the reality is it's not as simple as it sounds. What has made my situation far worse is that the NHS didn't get the diagnosis correct. And much of the medication they prescribed actually made my symptoms worse. I went for over 40 years either not diagnosed or incorrectly diagnosed. And the final straw was that it wasn't the NHS who eventually came up with the right diagnosis. I self referred to a sleep clinic and paid privately.

Given I can trace my symptoms back to about the age of 13 it's entirely possible that the hernia is actually a result of the apnea. I won't bore you with the details but it's all a question of vacuums and pressures created by the condition.

I've rabbited a bit. I'm good at rabbiting :roll:

Onwards and upwards :)

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 20th, 2019, 12:33 am

Good for you. Rabbiting on does no harm, and maybe some good for you. I only know the NHS from my own viewpoint when it replaced both of my hips with great success.

Dod

JoyofBrex8889
2 Lemon pips

Postby JoyofBrex8889 » July 20th, 2019, 1:46 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles AiY, sounds tough. Hang in there!

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » July 20th, 2019, 6:48 am

Gulp! Having an MRI tomorrow for gall stones which when passing through the bile duct cause significant pain for between three and 12 hours.
Most likely, an endoscope will be required as well and AiY has just managed to put the frightners on me for sure. :shock: I had a north bound endoscope some years back which caused some discomfort but the south bound sounds a lot worse.
I really hope that your diagnosis and treatment go well

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 20th, 2019, 7:37 am

i had the (upper) endoscopy a few years back .

the staff were very good .

it took several minutes to get the thing down.

the retching i was unprepared for , but its not a big problem , i would describe it more as massive burps than retching , presumably the air thats been pumped in coming out .

there was no pain or nausea.

i think the main issue is ones natural reaction to having a foreign body invasion .

its possible to have sedation for this procedure , i may try it if there is a next time.

in my case nothing as found , which is good , but means there is still no diagnosis for my symptoms (weight loss) .

i find the medical people are very good at some things , like hip replacements , but still in the dark ages on things like the alimentary canal and symptoms like bloating , wind , conversion of food to energy , and the like.

and i think the NHS in particular consign all this to the "too difficult" basket .

:?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 20th, 2019, 8:01 am

I remember that horrid gag reflex, but still glad I didn't take the sedation option, so I could walk home

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 20th, 2019, 11:49 am

I used to sell endoscopes many years ago, so I've sat in on hundreds of endoscopies (both ends). I can tell you from experience that the difference between a skilled operator and an unskilled one is the difference between Lewis Hamilton and a learner driver, with predictable results for the comfort of the patient. Sorry to hear of your bad experience, it is never pleasant but I seen some real bodgers at work as well as some true artists of the endoscope.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 12:52 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I used to sell endoscopes many years ago, so I've sat in on hundreds of endoscopies (both ends). I can tell you from experience that the difference between a skilled operator and an unskilled one is the difference between Lewis Hamilton and a learner driver, with predictable results for the comfort of the patient. Sorry to hear of your bad experience, it is never pleasant but I seen some real bodgers at work as well as some true artists of the endoscope.

John

Hi John,

I was told I could breath quite easily with the endoscope inserted. But I never stopped retching. My own lack of familiarity with the situation didn't help. But I did notice the Doctor was using some force to get the tube past my throat. I think I have a large tongue and a narrow throat which didn't help.

But on the up side I had a slug of wine last night and paracetamol and now have a diagnosis to work with 8-).

I've been to the supermarket and bagged up on biscuits of all kinds and I'll drop them off for the team who carried out the procedure for me. There's nothing like a chocolate biscuit to make the day just that little better :)

Retching in Yorkshire :lol:

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 1:00 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Gulp! Having an MRI tomorrow for gall stones which when passing through the bile duct cause significant pain for between three and 12 hours.
Most likely, an endoscope will be required as well and AiY has just managed to put the frightners on me for sure. :shock: I had a north bound endoscope some years back which caused some discomfort but the south bound sounds a lot worse.
I really hope that your diagnosis and treatment go well

Good luck - I think you'll be fine. I've heard gall stones can be painful. The MRI isn't difficult at all. I had to drink some special water before going into the procedure room. Apart from a little bloated feeling it was almost enjoyable :)

AiY

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 20th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I had an endoscopic operation for gall stones in the bile duct in 2017. Fortunately I did go for the sedative option and passed out as the thing went in my mouth and didn't wake up til after it was all over. Brilliant, no pain or discomfort and went home the same afternoon by public transport. Do go for the sedative!

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » July 20th, 2019, 4:42 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I had an endoscopic operation for gall stones in the bile duct in 2017. Fortunately I did go for the sedative option and passed out as the thing went in my mouth and didn't wake up til after it was all over. Brilliant, no pain or discomfort and went home the same afternoon by public transport. Do go for the sedative!

I am expecting to have the same procedure.
Sedative - sold!

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 20th, 2019, 5:18 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I had an endoscopic operation for gall stones in the bile duct in 2017. Fortunately I did go for the sedative option and passed out as the thing went in my mouth and didn't wake up til after it was all over. Brilliant, no pain or discomfort and went home the same afternoon by public transport. Do go for the sedative!

If I am asked to have another procedure at any time in the future I would, under normal circumstances have the sedative. Regrettably that option isn't available to me because I have obstructive sleep apnea :cry: I do envy those who have this option available.

AiY

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 21st, 2019, 7:36 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

If I am asked to have another procedure at any time in the future I would, under normal circumstances have the sedative. Regrettably that option isn't available to me because I have obstructive sleep apnea :cry: I do envy those who have this option available.

AiY

Actually I was just about to ask about why on earth you didn't have a tranquiliser when I saw this post.

My wife had an endoscopy a few years ago and can hardly remember a thing about it, only that she was speaking gibberish when she came round and the nurse was laughing. I think she had intravenous valium. Personally, if it were me, I'd take a bloody great valium pill and half a bottle of scotch beforehand, just to make sure! :-)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 22nd, 2019, 9:45 am

stevensfo wrote:My wife had an endoscopy a few years ago and can hardly remember a thing about it, only that she was speaking gibberish when she came round and the nurse was laughing. I think she had intravenous valium. Personally, if it were me, I'd take a bloody great valium pill and half a bottle of scotch beforehand, just to make sure! :-)

Like it, but don't try that in real life, kiddies. :lol: I have a northbound endoscopy coming up later this week, and they tend to use synthetic opiates like fentanyl that don't mix so well with alcohol. (I had a minor colon cancer removed last year, and they're just following up this time, so no worries this time around.)

Last time around, I found myself wondering why the somewhat attractive nurse who was chatting me up so attentively was wittering on so happily while all her colleagues were busy getting down to fundamentals. (So to speak. :| ) Surely she must have been disturbing them in their work? It was only later that I realised she was the anaesthetist, and she was talking to me so as to monitor my altered state of consciousness. Then again, maybe I just dreamed the whole thing?

BJ

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 22nd, 2019, 10:07 am

I think they'd rather you didn't opt for sedation, as I guess its another thing to go wrong.. Best to choose if only if you know you have a medical reason, or the prospect seems particularly traumatic. It wasn't for me...

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 22nd, 2019, 11:07 am

I had a northbound endoscopy without sedation a few months back, and whilst it wasn't the most pleasurable of experiences, I'd rate it as uncomfortable rather than painful.

But if I ever need a southbound one, I'm certain I'd take whatever was offered. A dentist only needs to look at the back of my mouth for me to feel like gagging; the prospect of swallowing a camera on a flex gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

And I won't relate the story of why my mother needed to be rushed to A&E in an emergency ambulance part way through a southbound endoscopy which didn't quite go to plan...

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » July 23rd, 2019, 11:10 am

Update. Came into A&E last night with horrible pain and the medical team think that a gall stone removal by endoscope will be the answer. Gall bladder removal at a later date due to being in blood thinners for the stents that were fitted last month.
Anyway, I have found out that the gall stone that causes all the pain is lodged in the Ampula of Varter (wonderful name) which is located just a blood squirt from the sphincter of Oddi (equally wonderful).
Sedation awaits!

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”