Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dental check up

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

Your dentist has invited you for a check up. What would you do?

Go along with no worries
37%
Go but being a little concerned about the possibility of infection
24%
Postpone the appointment
37%
Other
2%

Total votes: 46

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Dental check up

Postby redsturgeon » January 11th, 2021, 8:56 am

Mrs RS was invited to the dentist for a check up. She has no ongoing dental issues. She has just left the house for the appointment. I was thinking that I probably would have politely declined.

Joihn

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dental check up

Postby staffordian » January 11th, 2021, 9:02 am

Given the current advice about unnecessary contact etc I'd definitely give this a miss.

If I'd raging toothache, I'd risk it, but not for a check-up

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 11th, 2021, 10:37 am

I had a check up, postponed from March, on 25th November and my next is booked for 17th February.

The dental nurse came out in full PPE rig and I said "Take me to your leader". She looked very alien. Windows open, PPE everywhere, sanitisation, stay in the car until told to come in, payment by direct transfer, not a problem.

I have no qualms about being seen to.

TJH

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » January 11th, 2021, 10:43 am

tjh290633 wrote:I had a check up, postponed from March, on 25th November and my next is booked for 17th February.

The dental nurse came out in full PPE rig and I said "Take me to your leader". She looked very alien. Windows open, PPE everywhere, sanitisation, stay in the car until told to come in, payment by direct transfer, not a problem.

TJH

In the current climate, I dream of being "seen to"!

On the dental thing:
No. I've not seen the dentist for about a year now. Close contact is best avoided unless you need to.

Now my regular injections with the GP practice nurse are another question. I have them every 10-12 weeks and no worries about it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 11th, 2021, 10:47 am

Looking at a quick risk analysis my own personal thoughts would be.

What is the benefit to me of having the check up now?

What is the downside of postponing for six months?

What is the downside of me catching the coronavirus?

Seems that it's an easy call for me to postpone.

John

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 11th, 2021, 10:49 am

Hmm, now you mention it. I wonder if I can even register with a dentist these days? Think I last went to one in 2002.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 11th, 2021, 10:50 am

absolutezero wrote:In the current climate, I dream of being "seen to"!

On the dental thing:

No. I've not seen the dentist for about a year now. Close contact is best avoided unless you need to.

Now my regular injections with the GP practice nurse are another question. I have them every 10-12 weeks and no worries about it.

There was much more PPE in the dental surgery than in our GP Practice, when I go for the occasional blood letting. That was twice in the last year, with another due in February, I expect. I have only seen the Practice Nurses and Doctors on the road outside the Health Centre on their way to work, as all other contact has been by phone, Email or Text message.

TJH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 11th, 2021, 11:04 am

I've just emailed my dentist - I have an appointment next week for a bit of minor work. If they are still running I'll probably attend
I also need to plan in a non-urgent root canal/crown - which I'll delay until the virus nonsense has diminished I think
I'd probably not risk a check up unless I had noticeable problems

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » January 11th, 2021, 11:38 am

I postponed my regular check-up but our daughter visited the orthodontist today to have her brace tightened. I guess we partly reduced our risk. :o

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 11th, 2021, 11:41 am

neversay wrote:I postponed my regular check-up but our daughter visited the orthodontist today to have her brace tightened. I guess we partly reduced our risk. :o

Of being bitten?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 11th, 2021, 12:45 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:... I also need to plan in a non-urgent root canal/crown - which I'll delay until ...

Et tu Brute.

I had one set of root canal stuff undertaken in November & December 2020, having postponed from April 2020. That particular tooth was already playing up, having been on the watchlist for a few months.

I still have another two to book. Yes, they appear to take all the necessary precautions and have one of the more modern (slower & less noisy) drills but I'm in no rush to book them. I was a gibbering wreck when last there but nothing new on that front. Something about nerves, rather than any pain of which there was none.

At least the cash flow is pleasantly impacted, unlike the teeth.

Similarly, despite my quarterly underlying health check ups being undertaken by phone, I am still required to visit the Draculas in advance for blood tests at the local hospital. Can't say I'm looking forward to attending the next one in March but without the test results it is unlikely they'll prescribe the meds.

At least it is a pleasant walk there & back & usually involves a visit to a rather good independent off-licence. ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 11th, 2021, 1:04 pm

I'm not great with dentists, and despite dental insurance through work (which I pay towards) the wallet impact is ..unpleasant
I seem to be able to recover c 50% of costs
The offie sounds like a good plan. 'Self medicating' ?!

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 11th, 2021, 1:29 pm

I have been having dental check ups and hygienist appointments all the way through. My dentist is very safety conscious and I feel safer there than many other places, such as supermarkets. I have another check up tomorrow and have no qualms about attending.

MM

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » January 11th, 2021, 1:37 pm

I'm in a quandary. My November check up was postponed until 26th January, which I planned on postponing further. However, over Christmas a lower front tooth cracked horizontally leaving a jagged edge. My tongue is sore from worrying it and I'm pretty sure my dentist will say that the tooth needs to be crowned - which would lead to further appointments. Currently, apart from my cleaner and the neighbour who shops for me I have no contact with anyone else so I'm very reluctant to go to the dentist now but then again also worried about how long this lockdown will last. Decisions, decisions!

Tricia

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 11th, 2021, 1:46 pm

6Tricia wrote:I'm in a quandary. My November check up was postponed until 26th January, which I planned on postponing further. However, over Christmas a lower front tooth cracked horizontally leaving a jagged edge. My tongue is sore from worrying it and I'm pretty sure my dentist will say that the tooth needs to be crowned - which would lead to further appointments. Currently, apart from my cleaner and the neighbour who shops for me I have no contact with anyone else so I'm very reluctant to go to the dentist now but then again also worried about how long this lockdown will last. Decisions, decisions!

Tricia

One of my crowns broke days into the first lockdown, last March, leaving me with gap, but fortunately, as the nerve was removed years ago, no pain.

I finally managed to get an appointment with my dentist late last September, when things had died down somewhat, but unfortunately it was beyond repair and I'll need a denture. Even then, the dentist told me it could not be done until the pandemic was more or less over, so I've still got quite a wait.

Maybe you won't have a decision to make if your dentist has a similar policy to ours.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » January 11th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Still going to my lovely hygienist every 3 months and my dentist every 6, very strict in their Covid secure procedures. Last went on 23rd of December but was slightly delayed as a young man had come in with a dental emergency. They saved his tooth but the cleanup in the surgery took longer than the procedure and needed three members of staff.

They couldn't book next appointment in March but did the June appointment. I guess they had got the 'nod' from the Dept. of Health.

Only downside is its all manual at the moment with the hygienist so I think she is having to work very hard.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 11th, 2021, 2:53 pm

I am going as normal. I get quarterly cleanings as well as an annual exam. I missed my April appointment due to the virus but have since seen been in July and October, and due again next month.

There are various protocols in place and, for the cleanings, the main difference is that they use an old school manual scraper rather than the fancy ultra sonic scaler, which throws up a lot of spray.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » January 11th, 2021, 2:59 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I had a check up, postponed from March, on 25th November and my next is booked for 17th February.

TJH

I'd love to have a dental appointment - no real problems, but I do have some enamel erosion I'd like the dentist to keep and eye on and some ongoing gum problems I'd also like the dentist due to keep an eye on just in case, I could probably do with a scale and polish too. I was due an appointment on 26th March last year - it was cancelled - I've not been called back. I was on 6 month check-ups and am now over a year overdue (as there was a long wait for my cancelled appointment after been told I was due).

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”