Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus Health - Health and Wellbeing

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus Health - Health and Wellbeing

Postby servodude » July 28th, 2020, 3:50 am

look wrote:it seems that towns accept to use that device (vanessa capsules) only when the health system is collapsed.

Hi Look

The "vanessa capsule" you've linked to will go some way to solving space problems when there is overcrowding in the hospital
- specifically where you cannot isolate COVID patients from the uninfected

Doing this is a good idea because the process of NIV has been shown to disperse pathogens exhaled by a patient (they need to exhale, the virus is in their respiratory tract and the system is not closed to the outside world - so add a bit of positive pressure and the exhaled virus is dispersed quite effectively)
- having a bit of a small negative pressure enclosure works as an extractor for these unwanted bits

So if you have no other option this will help; it would be nicer though to be treated in a sealed room by staff who are suitably protected, rather than spend your treatment under a plastic bubble

The actual ventilation in the video is being done by a ResMed Stellar 150 (https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare ... r-150.html)
- these are very good devices for this purpose

-sd

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » July 30th, 2020, 5:39 pm

We see today there were 846 “cases” of the virus reported to Worldometers.

DAK the makeup of these people in all the usual parameters please?

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » August 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm

This site calculates your age from a virus point of view.

Luckily I came out a little lower than real age. Mrs F was a little higher.

https://profile.covid-age.com/

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » August 10th, 2020, 5:49 pm

In London it looks like some real effort has gone into cycle lanes.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 10th, 2020, 6:30 pm

johnhemming wrote:In London it looks like some real effort has gone into cycle lanes.

Yes I noticed that too the other day on a trip in. Some of the new cycle lanes actually have their own pair of bike-priority traffic lights at junctions, in much the same way as some of the bus lanes have. Obeyed to my surprise by about 90% of the cyclists out on the day I was there..

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » August 25th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Mouthwash possibilities to battle the virus?

It,s about time scientists woke up to this. I think someone said something like this awhile ago, but I can,t remember who it was!

“Study to determine whether mouthwash could help prevent coronavirus spread

Scientists are looking into whether mouthwash has the potential to reduce the levels of COVID-19 in saliva.

UK mouthwash brand Dentyl is taking part in the study led by Cardiff University. “

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 3rd, 2020, 3:25 pm

U.S. drugmaker Pfizer said it should know by the end of October whether a COVID-19 vaccine it is developing is successful, and will submit it for approval immediately if that is the case.

Pfizer has enrolled 23,000 patients in vaccine tests as of Wednesday, its Chief Executive Albert Bourla said in an online briefing sponsored by drug industry group International Federation of Pharmaceuticals Manufacturers & Association.

Pfizer has already manufactured hundreds of thousands of doses of the vaccine candidate, including at a plant in Belgium, Bourla added.

The U.S. drugmaker is in the race to come up with a vaccine with its partner, Germany’s BioNTech.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-drugs/pfizer-targets-end-of-next-month-for-covid-19-vaccine-update-idUKKBN25U22M

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 4th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Russia’s “Sputnik-V” COVID-19 vaccine produced an antibody response in all participants in early-stage trials, according to results published on Friday by The Lancet medical journal that were hailed by Moscow as an answer to its critics.

The results of the two trials, conducted in June-July this year and involving 76 participants, showed 100% of participants developing antibodies to the new coronavirus and no serious side effects, The Lancet said.

Russia licensed the two-shot jab for domestic use in August, the first country to do so and before any data had been published or a large-scale trial begun.

“The two 42-day trials – including 38 healthy adults each – did not find any serious adverse effects among participants, and confirmed that the vaccine candidates elicit an antibody response,” The Lancet said.

“Large, long-term trials including a placebo comparison, and further monitoring are needed to establish the long-term safety and effectiveness of the vaccine for preventing COVID-19 infection,” it said.

The vaccine is named Sputnik-V in homage to the world’s first satellite, launched by the Soviet Union. Some Western experts have warned against its use until all internationally approved testing and regulatory steps have been taken.

But with the results now published for the first time in an international peer-reviewed journal, and with a 40,000-strong later-stage trial launched last week, a senior Russian official said Moscow had faced down its critics abroad.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-vaccine/results-of-russias-covid-19-vaccine-produced-antibody-response-the-lancet-idUSKBN25V1I2

Link to the Lancet article - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31866-3/fulltext

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 16th, 2020, 1:45 am

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bloo ... 31546.html

it seems logical, but logics has oppositors...

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 16th, 2020, 2:09 am

servodude wrote:
look wrote:it seems that towns accept to use that device (vanessa capsules) only when the health system is collapsed.

Hi Look

The "vanessa capsule" you've linked to will go some way to solving space problems when there is overcrowding in the hospital

Doing this is a good idea because the process of NIV has been shown to disperse pathogens exhaled by a patient (they need to exhale, the virus is in their respiratory tract and the system is not closed to the outside world - so add a bit of positive pressure and the exhaled virus is dispersed quite effectively)
- having a bit of a small negative pressure enclosure works as an extractor for these unwanted bits

So if you have no other option this will help; it would be nicer though to be treated in a sealed room by staff who are suitably protected, rather than spend your treatment under a plastic bubble

The actual ventilation in the video is being done by a ResMed Stellar 150 (https://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare ... r-150.html)

-sd

I think the people (commom people and health professionals) have undervalued those vanessa capsules. Your information that they use a resmed stellar 150 is important, i suppose it's a bipap. Based on your explanation, the doctors have a big reason to not use this resmed and other equivalents, it's dangerous to the doctors. The vanessa capsules prevents that danger, that's very important.

you mention sealed room and staff who are... i suppose this is a exception.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 16th, 2020, 3:03 am

look wrote:
servodude wrote:

Hi Look

-sd

I think the people (commom people and health professionals) have undervalued those vanessa capsules. Your information that they use a resmed stellar 150 is important, i suppose it's a bipap. Based on your explanation, the doctors have a big reason to not use this resmed and other equivalents, it's dangerous to the doctors. The vanessa capsules prevents that danger, that's very important.

you mention sealed room and staff who are... i suppose this is a exception.

Indeed
BIPAP or NIV will make the air around a patient infectious; that doesn't stop the doctors from using it, they just need to be mindful of it.
By the very nature of the job plenty of stuff doctors have to be exposed to is dangerous to them.

There are a few systems like the "vanessa capsules" about:
- the more effective ones use negative pressure to extract the pathogen (https://about.unimelb.edu.au/newsroom/n ... -19-spread)
- or the "helmet" ventilator which is a bit of an extreme variation (https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefr ... y-distress)

I don't think they've been undervalued per se, it's more that they are not necessary for treatment
They only really help in the case where there is no other way to isolate COVID patients from uninfected people and until it gets that bad it's a lot more comfortable for patients to be in a well ventilated or isolated space

-sd

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 16th, 2020, 9:37 pm

the unimelb edu au video is very interesting. I think that the hoot ventilator system it is a kind of vanessa capsule. I recommend that all posters read the link.

the guys of vanessa capsules include more things in their recommended system, like the bipap, the fast treatment, the medicines, etc.

i think some readers are asking: why does that guy write so oftenabout the vanessa capsules? they didn't save brazil from the covid. My answer is that the number os hospitals that addopt it is below 1% of the hospitals.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 16th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Servodude, you wrote:

"BIPAP or NIV will make the air around a patient infectious; that doesn't stop the doctors from using it,

I agree with the first sentence, I desagree with the second.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 16th, 2020, 11:40 pm

look wrote:Servodude, you wrote:

"BIPAP or NIV will make the air around a patient infectious; that doesn't stop the doctors from using it,

I agree with the first sentence, I desagree with the second.

I can see why you might be suspicious but NIV manufacturers have struggled to keep up with the demand for machines during the pandemic; they are being used in record numbers.

-sd

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » September 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Covid sufferers seem much less likely to be full time spectacle wearers:

Various articles in newspapers about a Chinese study of almost 300 patients seem to indicate that 5 x more patients are not full time spec wearers.

The eyes can be a source of virus entry and maybe specs are something of a barrier.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 20th, 2020, 4:31 am

Doctor$ like to u$e ITU$.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 20th, 2020, 2:26 pm

feder1 wrote:Covid sufferers seem much less likely to be full time spectacle wearers:

Various articles in newspapers about a Chinese study of almost 300 patients seem to indicate that 5 x more patients are not full time spec wearers.

The eyes can be a source of virus entry and maybe specs are something of a barrier.

That's fascinating. For a long time it's been known the virus gets in via the mucous membranes of mouth, nose and lungs and I've read many times the eyes are a possibility too, but there has been no research. This is an observational study, presumably.

That degree of increase in those who don't wear spectacles is remarkable.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » September 20th, 2020, 4:33 pm

look wrote:Doctor$ like to u$e ITU$.

I think in the uk that is an incoherent viewpoint

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » September 20th, 2020, 8:38 pm

johnhemming wrote:

I don't have the symbol of the pound in my keyboard. I suppose this is the reason of the incoherency.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 21st, 2020, 12:36 am

look wrote:
johnhemming wrote:

I don't have the symbol of the pound in my keyboard. I suppose this is the reason of the incoherency.

Neither do I, but ALT-0163 gives me £ (which is useful as I've still got some UK stuff to manage)
- having said that - I've no idea what the quote means

- sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”