Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus Health - Health and Wellbeing

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus Health - Health and Wellbeing

Postby Mike4 » June 21st, 2020, 9:16 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
look wrote:the press is silent about the BCG vacine.

Whose Press are ‘silent’?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coul ... us-vaccine

Well The Times appears to be silent for a start. Your link gives me:

"Sorry, we can't find the page you are looking for (error 404)"

Most curious. have they withdrawn the page or does your link contain a flaw?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 21st, 2020, 9:26 pm

Mike4 wrote:Well The Times appears to be silent for a start. Your link gives me:

It was a joke Mike in that the claimed silence in the press about the Bacillus Calmette–Guérin (BCG) vaccine is simply untrue, at least not in the UK.

I thought you at least would have known I was jestin' but the url I provided contained could-the-tubercolusis-jab-pave-the-way-to-a-coronavirus-vaccine to enable others to search for such articles! There are articles in The Times and elsewhere, despite what the questioner says about nothing in the press nor the timescale of this silence. Even The Sun has an article or two.

Not that I've read any of them.

Here's one from The Times (early June 2020) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/could-the-tubercolusis-jab-pave-the-way-to-a-coronavirus-vaccine-3tws5jlw0.

Here's what WHO said in April 2020 https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/bacille-calmette-gu%C3%A9rin-(bcg)-vaccination-and-covid-19.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 21st, 2020, 9:31 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Well The Times appears to be silent for a start. Your link gives me:

It was a joke Mike in that the claimed silence in the press about the Bacillus Calmette–Guérin (BCG) vaccine is simply untrue, at least not in the UK.

I thought you at least would have known I was jestin' but the url I provided contained could-the-tubercolusis-jab-pave-the-way-to-a-coronavirus-vaccine to enable others to search for such articles! There are articles in The Times and elsewhere, despite what the questioner says about nothing in the press nor the timescale of this silence. Even The Sun has an article or two.

Not that I've read any of them.

Here's one from The Times (early June 2020) https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/could-the-tubercolusis-jab-pave-the-way-to-a-coronavirus-vaccine-3tws5jlw0.

Hmmm a joke you say.....

Oh yes, gotcha. I remember those!

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 21st, 2020, 10:12 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
look wrote:
dealtn wrote:
How do you mean, and what is the relevance to Covid-19 here please?

Some guys think that people with bcg vacine are more resistent to the coronavirus.
And they have reasons to think so.

Has your position now changed on Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine?

No.
Hydroxichloroquine is good, it should be used with azitromicin and zinc. Chloroquine is good, bur has more side effects than hidroxychloroquine.
There are other remedies that are good too.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » June 22nd, 2020, 7:22 am

look wrote:Some guys think that people with bcg vacine are more resistent to the coronavirus.

There are those that argue that BCG makes someone's immune system more effective. TB, however, is a bacterium.

I am of the view that in warmer countries the virus is less virulent (less infectious and less harmful when people are infected). The countries which use BCG more commonly also tend to be warmer. However, correlation is not causation.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 22nd, 2020, 10:09 am

Anyone have any theories as to why meat processing plants seem to be the cause of so many outbreaks?

John

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

look wrote:
dealtn wrote:
look wrote:the press is silent about the BCG vacine.

How do you mean, and what is the relevance to Covid-19 here please?

Some guys think that people with bcg vacine are more resistent to the coronavirus.

Isn't the BGC vaccine offered to pretty much every child in the UK. I would have thought most take this up. How does that tie in with "more resistant to coronavirus"? Is that why it affects the old more than the young, and why would the UK be one of the more heavily affected if so many have had this vaccine that offers protection?

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » June 22nd, 2020, 11:47 am

dealtn wrote:Isn't the BGC vaccine offered to pretty much every child in the UK.

Not now.

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » June 22nd, 2020, 12:20 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Anyone have any theories as to why meat processing plants seem to be the cause of so many outbreaks?

John

The general explanation seems to be that they are usually fairly crowded places with low temperatures and noisy.
The crowds aids transmission the noise means raised voices create more particles with virus if infected which project further and the cold preserves the virus readily.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 27th, 2020, 12:38 am

do you know what medicines the doctors are giving to their patients? (in UK or any other country) The question is for all.

I'm specially curious about hidroxichloroquine and favipiravir.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 27th, 2020, 8:15 am

Backache wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Anyone have any theories as to why meat processing plants seem to be the cause of so many outbreaks?

John

The general explanation seems to be that they are usually fairly crowded places with low temperatures and noisy.
The crowds aids transmission the noise means raised voices create more particles with virus if infected which project further and the cold preserves the virus readily.

All true, but you miss the additional factors that many meat process workers are immigrants living in flat shares at high density, and/or do a lot of car sharing to get to work.

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » June 27th, 2020, 11:54 am

look wrote:do you know what medicines the doctors are giving to their patients? (in UK or any other country) The question is for all.

Hydoxychloroquine was trialled in the UK and found to be ineffective.
There are several antivirals being studied in the UK, but don't think favipiravir is one.
Dexamethasone is used now in severe cases and remdesevir is available , other drugs are included in trials

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 27th, 2020, 10:08 pm

oh, hidroxichloroquine considered ineffective, favipiravir not even in test. If it continues so, the virus will put an end to the occidental civilization...

I read in wikipedia that in India an university builded an generator of negative ions that kills more than 90% or the virus in the air. Then I look to get other information about that thing, I think this is an interesting reading

https://guardianlv.com/2020/03/can-nega ... ronavirus/

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 28th, 2020, 4:36 pm

PinkDalek built a link where i could read only a part. Then i searched about the issue and find this link:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03 ... oronavirus

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » June 28th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Backache wrote:
look wrote:do you know what medicines the doctors are giving to their patients? (in UK or any other country) The question is for all.

Hydoxychloroquine was trialled in the UK and found to be ineffective.
There are several antivirals being studied in the UK, but don't think favipiravir is one.
Dexamethasone is used now in severe cases and remdesevir is available , other drugs are included in trials

This study suggests Tocilizumab has some impact on survival and need for ventilators. Not the 'silver bullet' but a step forward. (also known as Actemra)

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals ... 65-9913(20)30173-9.pdf

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 28th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Snorvey wrote:
look wrote:PinkDalek built a link where i could read only a part. Then i searched about the issue and find this link:

I'll give it a month before they start clinical trials using leeches.

You can disagree, but i think you didn't read the article.
Here is an excerpt:

Vaccines generally raise immune responses specific to a targeted pathogen, such as antibodies that bind and neutralize one type of virus but not others. But BCG may also increase the ability of the immune system to fight off pathogens other than the TB bacterium, according to clinical and observational studies published over several decades by Danish researchers Peter Aaby and Christine Stabell Benn, who live and work in Guinea-Bissau. They concluded the vaccine prevents about 30% of infections with any known pathogen, including viruses, in the first year after it’s given. The studies published in this field have been criticized for their methodology, however; a 2014 review ordered by the World Health Organization concluded that BCG appeared to lower overall mortality in children, but rated confidence in the findings as “very low.” A 2016 review was a bit more positive about BCG’s potential benefits but said randomized trials were needed.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 28th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:
look wrote:PinkDalek built a link where i could read only a part. Then i searched about the issue and find this link:

Forgive my cynicism but I strongly doubt leeches have the intelligence or resources to conduct meaningful clinical trials.

(Nice wine, this...)

Backache
2 Lemon pips

Postby Backache » June 28th, 2020, 11:14 pm

look wrote:
Snorvey wrote:

Here is an excerpt:

Vaccines generally raise immune responses specific to a targeted pathogen, such as antibodies that bind and neutralize one type of virus but not others. But BCG may also increase the ability of the immune system to fight off pathogens other than the TB bacterium, according to clinical and observational studies published over several decades by Danish researchers Peter Aaby and Christine Stabell Benn, who live and work in Guinea-Bissau. They concluded the vaccine prevents about 30% of infections with any known pathogen, including viruses, in the first year after it’s given. The studies published in this field have been criticized for their methodology, however; a 2014 review ordered by the World Health Organization concluded that BCG appeared to lower overall mortality in children, but rated confidence in the findings as “very low.” A 2016 review was a bit more positive about BCG’s potential benefits but said randomized trials were needed.

Or putting it into English the BCG vaccine might provide a bit of enhanced protection against other infectious diseases or it might not.
A review oranised by experts thinks it's improbable but to be sure you need more experiments.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 29th, 2020, 1:09 am

Backache wrote:
look wrote:
Snorvey wrote:

Here is an excerpt:

Or putting it into English the BCG vaccine might provide a bit of enhanced protection against other infectious diseases or it might not.
A review oranised by experts thinks it's improbable but to be sure you need more experiments.

I wrote 2 lines, the rest is an excerpt.
YOu wrote: In plain English...

It seems that you thought that I wrote all the text, he he

I give importance to the conclusion of the 2 danish.

I think that for coronavirus the all the doctors should try to use new treatments, as there is no official treatment.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » June 29th, 2020, 1:28 am

It seems that very much people has confidence in the WHO and medical authorities. In this times of coronavirus, it would be good to read avout ideas of Venon Coleman.

I didn't read, but i think this writer is like other that i read.

I will tell you something of my personal life.
My father had cancer. He was angry very often, One night, i heard a strong noise and thought he has put down a big furniture in a room nearby. I didn't go to see what it was, I thought it could be dangerous because he was very angry. After a time of silence, i went into the room, he ask: why didn't you come to help me? he fell.

He was turning weaker, difficulty to walk, but i didn't expect that he was already in so bad shape.

Aprocimately 3 years after he died, i read t

hat a university was producing an experimental anti cancer drug since 20 years, and was giving it to a crowd of cancer victims. I watch some interesting thing at the TV. In 2 different channels, 2 different persons said that the remedy helped to walk, two guys that where in bed without movements could walk even in stairs after using the remedy.

Then i turn rebel. This remedy could help my father, and i couldn't give it to him, because of the bad people that rule the market.
The rules about medicines should be modified, and it's urgent.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”