Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dentists, Eye Tests and C virus

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Dod101
The full Lemon

Dentists, Eye Tests and C virus

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I am a bit perplexed. I have just been asked to go for my annual eye test and I have as it happens, a long standing dental appointment in a couple of weeks. I am in the so called vulnerable age group being well over 70 and frankly it seems almost crass of the optician to invite me to come along to their place in the centre of the local town (about 17 miles away) and get up close to one of their opticians, without the slightest acknowledgement in the letter about whether their staff have been tested or anything else. Obviously they know my age and medical history (which is unremarkable and I would like it to remain that way)

What is the attitude of others? I am inclined not to go and politely ask them what they are doing about it anyway. Maybe they have transformed their shop or consulting rooms or whatever we would call the premises into hospital grade cleanliness.

Dod

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dentists, Eye Tests and C virus

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 20th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am a bit perplexed. I have just been asked to go for my annual eye test and I have as it happens, a long standing dental appointment in a couple of weeks. I am in the so called vulnerable age group being well over 70 and frankly it seems almost crass of the optician to invite me to come along to their place in the centre of the local town (about 17 miles away) and get up close to one of their opticians, without the slightest acknowledgement in the letter about whether their staff have been tested or anything else. Obviously they know my age and medical history (which is unremarkable and I would like it to remain that way)

What is the attitude of others? I am inclined not to go and politely ask them what they are doing about it anyway. Maybe they have transformed their shop or consulting rooms or whatever we would call the premises into hospital grade cleanliness.

Dod

Good question. I too have 2 dental appointments booked over the next couple of months. At the moment it is my intention to attend them. The barber on the other hand will have to wait. Apart from anything else one of the hairdressers has been known in this household as 'Typhoid Mary' for a few years due to her incessant coughing and sniffing. She does a good haircut though.

RC

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Dod wrote:I am a bit perplexed. I have just been asked to go for my annual eye test and I have as it happens, a long standing dental appointment in a couple of weeks. I am in the so called vulnerable age group being well over 70 and frankly it seems almost crass of the optician to invite me to come along to their place in the centre of the local town (about 17 miles away) and get up close to one of their opticians, without the slightest acknowledgement in the letter about whether their staff have been tested or anything else. Obviously they know my age and medical history (which is unremarkable and I would like it to remain that way)

Dod

If they are only routine check ups and assuming you have no problems or issues, I would defer/postpone your appointments for 6 months or more and review the situation then. I would assume the optician/dentist will be trying to keep his income up by seeing patients. My local Dr's surgery is trying to vet appointments over the telephone to minimise unnecessary appointments.

On your other point, I try and avoid places where I don't see evidence of them taking precautions against the C virus. In my local supermarkets, I don't see any evidence of them encouraging customers to maintain some distance between each other, or sanitising their trolleys, though I have seen mention of it in the national press.
Last edited by richfool on March 20th, 2020, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 20th, 2020, 1:07 pm

My wife had a dental appointment planned for next week, but got a call the other day to say it had been cancelled. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51944043

Unless your optician appointment is really necessary, I would not go. I really do need a haircut but I'm loathe to go to the barbers at the moment

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2020, 1:32 pm

kiloran wrote:My wife had a dental appointment planned for next week, but got a call the other day to say it had been cancelled. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51944043

Unless your optician appointment is really necessary, I would not go. I really do need a haircut but I'm loathe to go to the barbers at the moment

--kiloran

Thanks. From the link it would seem likely that I will get a call nearer the date to cancel my dental appointment.

As far as the optician is concerned I will not make an appointment but will call them and I may have an interesting conversation. I will report back.

I went to a small M & S yesterday morning for some food and at least the lady on the till was using hand sanitizer between each customer. I did not see any other evidence though. I did wash my hands thoroughly when I got home and also my car steering wheel. I am certain that there were still loopholes though.

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » March 20th, 2020, 2:16 pm

my local specsavers are discouraging visits - the are posting my recently ordered specs foc.

;)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 20th, 2020, 2:19 pm

My dentist notified me that they were cancelling all appointments for the over 70s for the next 3 months

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » March 20th, 2020, 4:52 pm

This was on radio 4 earlier today, sorry don't remember the exact programme.

The dentist was complaining that they didnt really want to see patients, but they werent getting any bail out money yet and so were staying open so they could keep paying all the staff. They also mentioned that a large proportion of patients are cancelling appointments.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 20th, 2020, 4:57 pm

I have spoken to the opticians. I suppose it is right that they give me no advice on whether to come in or not but I have decided against it. They simply repeat that 'We are open for business and it is entirely up to you whether you would like an appointment or not'. They are of course between a rock and a hard place like many businesses.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 20th, 2020, 6:52 pm

kiloran wrote:I really do need a haircut but I'm loathe to go to the barbers at the moment

I'm quite glad I got my hair cut last month, really. (Pensioner special, six quid, although the local etiquette is to tip another two if you can afford it. Some can't.) But I was doubly glad that the very nice young lady who usually cuts my hair wasn't there that time. Her husband runs the local small-town Chinese restaurant, and her family are all from Wuhan province. :shock:

My dentist, who I also saw the same day, was toting a mask and a full-face perspex visor as if she was just heading out for an afternoon with a chainsaw. Considering she was going to to drill three teeth without anaesthetic (replacing lost fillings), I was hoping the visor would give her a clear and above all undistorted view. It did. :)

But the optician? Not just now, thanks, unless I was a professional driver or if I knew I had a significant problem that needed correction. Even then, I'd want the first slot of the day.

BJ

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”