Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - recommended facemasks

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Coronavirus - recommended facemasks

Postby Lootman » June 6th, 2020, 7:03 pm

88V8 wrote:I have heard or read from some medical bod that after 4hrs use, cloth becomes saturated and useless.

Surely that depends on whether you are sneezing and coughing or not? And if you are then you probably should not be out and about anyway.

Mine is a N99 reusable Vogmask. No plastic; all natural materials. Easy to wash and dry. More effective than the N95 masks, as the number implies.

https://www.vogmask.com/

Specifically designed to keep airborne particles out, but obviously will be as good as any other mask at keeping your droplets from spreading.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 6th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Lootman wrote:
88V8 wrote:I have heard or read from some medical bod that after 4hrs use, cloth becomes saturate and useless.
Surely that depends on whether you are sneezing and coughing or not?
Well I saw some video, sorry I can't substantiate this, that suggested that the mere act of breathing into face masks makes them moist and less of an effective filter to viruses. The suggestion was that because of this masks in clinical use are replaced really quite frequently so that they maintain their effectiveness.

I personally think that notwithstanding such shortcomings any kind of covering, saturated or not, will decelerate any coughs or sneezes and retard infection. That is my considered opinion as a complete amateur. ;)

Cheers,
Chris

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 6th, 2020, 11:45 pm

csearle wrote:
Lootman wrote:
88V8 wrote:I have heard or read from some medical bod that after 4hrs use, cloth becomes saturate and useless.
Surely that depends on whether you are sneezing and coughing or not?
Well I saw some video, sorry I can't substantiate this, that suggested that the mere act of breathing into face masks makes them moist and less of an effective filter to viruses. The suggestion was that because of this masks in clinical use are replaced really quite frequently so that they maintain their effectiveness.

I personally think that notwithstanding such shortcomings any kind of covering, saturated or not, will decelerate any coughs or sneezes and retard infection. That is my considered opinion as a complete amateur. ;)

Cheers,
Chris

But, but..... masks in clinical use are PPE, to protect the wearer. Facemasks on public transport are CPE - "community protection equipement" - to protect everyone else from YOU.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 6th, 2020, 11:47 pm

Mike4 wrote:But, but..... masks in clinical use are PPE, to protect the wearer. Facemasks on public transport are CPE - "community protection equipement" - to protect everyone else from YOU.
But me no buts. I totally agree. Chris

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 6th, 2020, 11:48 pm

Mike4 wrote:
csearle wrote:
Lootman wrote:Surely that depends on whether you are sneezing and coughing or not?

But, but..... masks in clinical use are PPE, to protect the wearer. Facemasks on public transport are CPE - "community protection equipement" - to protect everyone else from YOU.

I think that confuses two different issues.

The government wants us all to wear masks to stop infecting others.

But the motivation to wear a mask is to protect yourself from others.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 7th, 2020, 12:01 am

Lootman wrote:I think that confuses two different issues.

I think that is a communication issue. It should be emphasised much more by the government that the wearing of a mask is as a courtesy to others, like I understand it is in e.g. Japan, rather than as something to protect yourself. I suspect that the motivation in the UK is a mixture of the two.

Chris

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 7th, 2020, 12:21 am

AndyPandy wrote:2. The face coverings are to protect others, not you. If everyone wears them we all help each other out.

I dont think this is entirely true, nothing short of an N95 mask is going to give 100% protection but the stat I saw on Dr Johns channel is that coming into close contact with an infected person once, you have a 17% chance of being infected if not wearing a mask, wearing a mask drops that to a 3 % risk

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » June 7th, 2020, 12:36 am

Lanark wrote:... nothing short of an N95 mask is going to give 100% protection but the stat I saw on Dr Johns channel is that coming into close contact with an infected person once, you have a 17% chance of being infected if not wearing a mask, wearing a mask drops that to a 3 % risk

The government's stated reason for making face coverings mandatory on public transport is not to protect you from others. It's to stop you spreading it to others.

Gov.UK wrote:The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) has set out that using face coverings in this setting can provide some small additional protection to fellow passengers and can help people to avoid unknowingly spreading the virus if they are suffering from coronavirus, but not showing symptoms.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/face ... -transport

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 7th, 2020, 12:37 am

Lanark wrote:
AndyPandy wrote:2. The face coverings are to protect others, not you. If everyone wears them we all help each other out.

I dont think this is entirely true, nothing short of an N95 mask is going to give 100% protection ...

You missed out two of AndyPandy's (who was talking about face coverings as against masks) numbered sentences and were therefore quoting out of context:

1. The government are recommending 'face coverings' in a non-medical environment
2. The face coverings are to protect others, not you. If everyone wears them we all help each other out.
3. If you want to be completely protected yourself, you need the full Monty.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 7th, 2020, 2:02 am

Lootman wrote:
Specifically designed to keep airborne particles out, but obviously will be as good as any other mask at keeping your droplets from spreading.

Obviously only if you defeat the exit valve; from that Vogmask site (good masks by the way!)
theguyswhomakethemasks wrote:
In Covid-19 pandemic, many regions are recommending face coverings so that people who are asymptomatic do not exhale their germs into the commmunity.

People who own valved Vogmasks are closing the valve with tape to prevent the germs of the mask wearer from exiting through the valve. The excellent filtering capability of the mask and the protection for the mask wearer from microscopic particles is not affected by closing the valve. It does indicate your concern for protecting others while you are taking precaution for your own health.

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

AndyPandy wrote:3. If you want to be completely protected yourself, you need the full Monty

I had to read that twice because my first thought probably wouldn't have protected much; might have encouraged social distancing though
- strange how the meanings of some terms can change over time

-sd

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » June 7th, 2020, 7:41 am

Lanark wrote:

I dont think this is entirely true, nothing short of an N95 mask is going to give 100% protection but the stat I saw on Dr Johns channel is that coming into close contact with an infected person once, you have a 17% chance of being infected if not wearing a mask, wearing a mask drops that to a 3 % risk

============================

makes sense to me that there will be a substantial risk reduction .

not rocket science again.

:!:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 7th, 2020, 8:17 am

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
csearle wrote:Well I saw some video, sorry I can't substantiate this, that suggested that the mere act of breathing into face masks makes them moist and less of an effective filter to viruses. The suggestion was that because of this masks in clinical use are replaced really quite frequently so that they maintain their effectiveness.

I think that confuses two different issues.

Not with me it isn't. I wear a mask for two reasons:

1) Out of courtesy to everyone else, in case I'm unwittingly infected.
2) Because it makes other people grant me more social distancing, presumably because they assume I'm wearing it because I know I'm infected...

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”