Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Flu Jab Notification

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Flu Jab Notification

Postby Mike88 » September 28th, 2020, 10:51 pm

According to the paper review on Sky news there is to be a vaccination shortage with rationing for the over 65s. Don't wait for letters from your GP. Get an appointment now.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 28th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Mike88 wrote:According to the paper review on Sky news there is to be a vaccination shortage with rationing for the over 65s. Don't wait for letters from your GP. Get an appointment now.

Citation needed!

Not to mention context. Most papers are happy to contradict themselves, and to stir it. Seeing the original might help with a judgement.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » September 29th, 2020, 10:09 am

My employer announced yesterday that they are giving out free vouchers for any staff to get the flu vaccine at Boots. I have signed up for a voucher (wouldn't normally, but the top boss says it's important to get the vaccine to help the fight against COVID-19) and thought I'd check the Boots website for the procedure for booking (it may take up to 3 days to be received by my email). They have suspended bookings for the time being. https://www.boots.com/appointment-online-holding Not sure whether they have lack of stock, or can only book 3 weeks ahead or something, but they can't offer what my employers have no doubt already paid them for when I get a voucher.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 29th, 2020, 10:47 am

Judging by my local pharmacies, it's the other way round, and that priority cases (over-65s, pre-existing health issues) are getting their shots ahead of others. Indeed, my local Asda was only doing those people last week. The over-65s, of course, get a slightly more powerful shot, so local availability of the two versions might be different. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the NHS has got itself in a tangle over supplies this year, but maybe I'll just leave it at that. :|

My own doctor's surgery doesn't begin its flu shot programme until 1st October, but we had no problem in booking our shots at two weeks' notice.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 29th, 2020, 11:22 am

Moderator Message:
This topic now moved to health and wellbeing since the OP's question has been answered and it is now more general discussion.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » September 29th, 2020, 4:01 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike88 wrote:According to the paper review on Sky news there is to be a vaccination shortage with rationing for the over 65s. Don't wait for letters from your GP. Get an appointment now.

Citation needed!

Not to mention context. Most papers are happy to contradict themselves, and to stir it. Seeing the original might help with a judgement.

There is plenty of information online and there was even a phone in this afternoon about the shortage. There are far too many references online to quote but suggest you use google if you are interested. This from Boots, suspending appointments, might help. https://www.boots.com/flu-2020-2

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 29th, 2020, 4:59 pm

bungeejumper wrote:J
My own doctor's surgery doesn't begin its flu shot programme until 1st October, but we had no problem in booking our shots at two weeks' notice.

My local surgery seems late sending out invites. Usually they run the actual jabs on a walk through basis on three Saturday mornings. You are given a date and time, but in practice you could just turn up with the invite letter as authorisation. It can get a bit crowded. This year the website implies they will be using the local Rugby Clubhouse or possibly even a marquee on the grounds. The Club is a little out of town, so they will have to organise parking or drop off points as well.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 29th, 2020, 9:43 pm

Wife phoned our doctors surgery this morning and was able to book us both in for flu injections on Saturday morning. All very straightforward......suggest you try the same.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » September 30th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Loup321 wrote:My employer announced yesterday that they are giving out free vouchers for any staff to get the flu vaccine at Boots. I have signed up for a voucher (wouldn't normally, but the top boss says it's important to get the vaccine to help the fight against COVID-19) and thought I'd check the Boots website for the procedure for booking (it may take up to 3 days to be received by my email). They have suspended bookings for the time being. https://www.boots.com/appointment-online-holding Not sure whether they have lack of stock, or can only book 3 weeks ahead or something, but they can't offer what my employers have no doubt already paid them for when I get a voucher.

Update. (Yes, bad form to reply to my own post...)

I received my voucher, with a link to book with Boots. They have a very limited number of appointment slots, of about one a week in my two nearest branches. Perhaps the link in the voucher has allowed me to skip the queue, but the way in through a Google search for "Boots flu vaccine" still reports that bookings are suspended. Anyway, I'm in on Monday for the jab.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » October 1st, 2020, 9:05 am

I was enquiring about this as we just moved and changed GPs.

They said that there was plenty of vaccine as there is usually a surplus anyway, but as with many things in The New Normal, the difficulty was arranging a socially distancing compliant system for dispensing them as having 20 people queueing at a drop in centre is no longer an option.

As has been mentioned, options include community halls etc and waiting in vehicles in a car park until called.

Paul

Peanutte
Lemon Pip

Postby Peanutte » October 3rd, 2020, 7:21 am

I enquired at my local pharmacy - she said they only have a few doses left and encouraged me to have a jab immediately - which I did.

She said they have been told to prioritise those over 65 (that's me) but are having problems getting any more supplies - she didn't know when they would get any more.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 3rd, 2020, 8:40 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I was enquiring about this as we just moved and changed GPs.

They said that there was plenty of vaccine as there is usually a surplus anyway, but as with many things in The New Normal, the difficulty was arranging a socially distancing compliant system for dispensing them as having 20 people queueing at a drop in centre is no longer an option.

As has been mentioned, options include community halls etc and waiting in vehicles in a car park until called.

Paul

Had mine today at GPs. It was inside the health centre, but very strictly organised.

There was a flow system, starting at a plastic screened mini reception island set up in the middle of the entrance lobby. In one side, out the other. You were checked in by name, directed into waiting room, held at corridor to clinics until nurse was ready, then sent down corridor to room. Went into room - as usual - was immediately shooed out to stand at door where injection was administered. Told to leave by continuing around corridor at rear and eventually out past mini reception at entrance. All very quick.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 6th, 2020, 6:57 pm

XFool wrote:held at corridor to clinics until nurse was ready, then sent down corridor to room. Went into room - as usual - was immediately shooed out to stand at door where injection was administered. Told to leave by continuing around corridor at rear and eventually out past mini reception at entrance. All very quick.

Thanks. Both at my doctor's surgery and at my local supermarket pharmacy, I've always been told to sit down for ten minutes after the jab to make sure that I didn't flake out in my car while driving home. (As the Sainsburys nurse told me, if I fainted while waiting outside in my car nobody would ever see me, so she'd rather I carried on shopping for ten minutes so that I collapsed in full public view. :lol: )

I wonder whether there's still room for that precaution these days? Anyway, jabs booked, so fingers crossed that they've still got some vaccine left on the day.

BJ

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”