Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Trials & Tribulations of Being a Dieting Angel

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: The Trials & Tribulations of Being a Dieting Angel

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2021, 4:04 pm

88V8 wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:.... two anti-biotics at the same time and a PPI to boot..

Payment Protection Insurance. Was this a private hospital :)

Anibiotics can play havoc with the gut biome.
It would be worth have a chat with the GP about a faecal transplant.

V8

Proton Pump Inhibitor :ugeek: . They reduce stomach acid. I'm not sure if I should thank you for your second comment :lol: . I am using some probiotics with everything I eat now. I'm also looking at artificial sweeteners as I suspect my use of Sweetex in my tea for the last four years may have caused some problems too.

Thank you for your comments :)

AiY

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 16th, 2021, 4:10 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
88V8 wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:.... two anti-biotics at the same time and a PPI to boot..

Payment Protection Insurance. Was this a private hospital :)

Anibiotics can play havoc with the gut biome.
It would be worth have a chat with the GP about a faecal transplant.

V8

Proton Pump Inhibitor :ugeek: . They reduce stomach acid. I'm not sure if I should thank you for your second comment :lol: . I am using some probiotics with everything I eat now. I'm also looking at artificial sweeteners as I suspect my use of Sweetex in my tea for the last four years may have caused some problems too.

Thank you for your comments :)

AiY

Faecal transplants have been shown to be extremely successful for some people. It's worth considering IMHO.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325128

RC

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2021, 4:37 pm

From time to time I'd like, if I may please, to drop links into the thread. They may help?

Do Diet Drinks Contribute to IBS?

A structured article suggesting artificial sweeteners aren't the dieters utopia they are marketed as.

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 16th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Sweeteners, yes, dodgy I think.
We buy lemonade as a mixer. And tonic, and ginger ale. But never with sweeteners.

Sugar.... I used to put four lumps in tea.
And coffee.
Then came 'the sugar crisis'.

Nowadays I add no sugar to either.
One can wean oneself off most sugar/sweetener in drinks.

But not cane sugar on porridge. One can take healthy eating too far.

V8

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » March 17th, 2021, 2:41 pm

For gut health I thoroughly recommend trying Kefir grains, the water ones, not the milk ones. They make a very pleasant sparkling beverage and help the microdoollallies along apparently.

Stage 1 - You take 20g of water kefir grains and pop them in half a litre of filtered water (to remove chlorine etc), then add 15g of sugar (we add a slice of lemon at this stage for antibacterial properties). The sugar is to feed the kefir, not you. Then leave it for a couple of days, with a lid, in an ordinary temp room. We use a large glass jar for this bit with a loose glass lid.

Stage 2 - Then sieve/decant the resulting liquid into an ordinary plastic water bottle leaving the grains behind. We then flavour ours with half a sliced lemon, skin included, and 5g sugar (optional). You can flavour it with whatever you like at this second stage, but we prefer various citrus fruits. Then leave this second stage until the bottle goes very hard (approx 1-2 weeks in our cool kitchen). Label and drink as soon as you like. Apparently straight away if you want but we like a strong fizz.

Repeat the first process every two or so days until you have a little time staged row of drum tight little bottles ready to drink. Burp them if they get too tight if you're not ready to drink it. We've been keeping ours plain and then mixing them with cordials, using it as soda water or just having it on its own. It's a wonderful thing because the half used bottles don't ever go flat. You mustn't use metal sieves or spoons either.

Originally we only did it to make tonic water for gin because the commercial tonics go flat after one portion out of the larger bottles and the tiny tins are expensive!!! Not sure if gin helps the microdoollallies along but it tastes nice. There is a very nice recipe for home made tonic cordial online somewhere. I'll find it if you want it.

The grains multiply when happy, so you can just keep on giving them away or apparently you and the pets can eat them. (I haven't bothered yet). I can always send you some when the next division is due.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 17th, 2021, 7:52 pm

The dodgyness of sweeteners, chapter II...

-A new study led by scientists from the University of Zurich has found moderate consumption of fructose and sucrose can dramatically amplify fat production in the liver. The research also suggests these sugar-induced changes to fat metabolism can continue for long periods of time.'

Four year double-blind trial, albeit quote small.

The simple message... don't.
https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/s ... etabolism/

V8

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » March 18th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Interesting article on aspartame trials and one by the diabetes website on sweeteners in general

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 193100.htm

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2018/ap ... 47990.html

anniesdad
Lemon Pip

Postby anniesdad » March 19th, 2021, 10:19 pm

You can do the FODMAP yourself without a dietitian. The acronym relates to the sugars that are most likely causing people problems. F is Fructose etc. Certain vegetable are listed as red (easy to google) and sounds like you already have an idea of what these are. I’m guessing Garlic, onions, beans? One by one eliminate them from your diet and see if symptoms disappear. To make sure reintroduce them and see if they reappear. And yes diet drinks are listed as red because of the sugars that they are made from.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 5th, 2022, 5:26 pm

18 months on..... another factor is when one eats.

I notice a small study which supports the belief that eating late is a bad idea. In fact, iirc it's one way that sumo wrestlers gain weight - a big meal late at night.
In the study, late eating led to increased appetite, increased desire for salty or starchy foods. And dairy and veg, which one would normally regard as a good thing.

Summary here https://newatlas.com/medical/late-night-eating-lower-calorie-appetite/ which doesn't actually say what constitutes 'late'.

The original study here https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(22)00397-7 says ....late and early eating protocols were established with an interval of 250 min between meals. In the early-eating protocol, participants ate meals at 1h0 m, 5h10 m and 9h20 m following wake time. In the late-eating protocol, subjects consumed meals at 5h10 m, 9h20 m and 13h30 m after wake.

So if one wakes at 0700h, 'early' would be dinner by 1620h, and 'late' would be dinner by 2030h.

If one is working, dinner in the afternoon is probably not practicable, so the ideal time would be 'as early as possible'.

Food for thought, best way to lose weight.... big breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner and not late.

AIY, how's it going?

Incidentally, there is also a link between weight and 'restless leg'. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29674254/

V8

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 5th, 2022, 6:19 pm

88V8 wrote:
So if one wakes at 0700h, 'early' would be dinner by 1620h, and 'late' would be dinner by 2030h.

If one is working, dinner in the afternoon is probably not practicable, so the ideal time would be 'as early as possible'.

Food for thought, best way to lose weight.... big breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner and not late.

AIY, how's it going?

Incidentally, there is also a link between weight and 'restless leg'. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29674254/

V8

Appalling for all the right reasons :lol:

If my sleep doctor has correctly diagnosed RLS then I am confident it's hereditary. I am a mere 5'8" without high heels on and weighed less than 8 stone when I was 18. My weight gain never really appeared until after I was 50 [I think]. My diet has improved remarkably well and whilst I didn't lose any weight I didn't put anymore on. In August I did a lot of physical work and lost over a stone. I was well happy. However, the RLS diagnosis and the new medication have slowed me up and the weight has reappeared quicker than mortgage rates have gone up :(

Which means in the future I have to exercise more and eat less. When I've not slept well I snack like an ant eater and it's always on carbohydrates :shock:

I have home made soup for lunch. No breakfast and a main meal at about 6.30pm and at the moment I think exercise is off the table for another month.

AiY(D)

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”