Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Trials & Tribulations of Being a Dieting Angel

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: The Trials & Tribulations of Being a Dieting Angel

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 23rd, 2021, 2:01 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Yes AiY I'd forgotten about the no veggie bit to start with.

Another thought...no mention of fish. Things like tuna are an easy substitute for meat and oily fish like sardines an even healthier choice.

Good luck with the journey.

John

Thanks John. I've been nibbling on a bit of tuna today as luck would have it 8-) .

AiY

WandleHens

Postby WandleHens » February 23rd, 2021, 5:34 pm

Two poached eggs
Two rashers of bacon - fried in Fry Light
Two sausages - fried in Fry Light
A small homemade beef burger - fried in Fry Light with a small amount of lactose free cheese on top
A small number of homemade potato wedges - baked in the oven

All gluten, lactose and avenin free.

I just wondered if the "fried bits" are ok?

Feel very full after that lot.

Yes I'd feel quite full after that. Are you doing OMAD (One Meal A Day)?

I think for what you are currently trying to achieve that meal is fine. My only concern is the use of Fry Light. It is made of industrial seed oil and industrial alcohol. A better choice would be to fry in butter, lard, or coconut oil. Coconut, like olive oil is a fruit oil. Most seed and vegetable oils such as Sunflower, Soyabean & corn oil are high in omega 6.

We had Meatloaf last night;
MEATLOAF (serves 4, or 2 over two nights)
500g Organic Grass fed beef mince
440g Organic Pork mince
1 Shallot
Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley
1 Egg
Salt/pepper

mix and pack into a baking paper lined loaf tin
bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 200 degrees. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.

While this is cooking I make a tomato sauce from a tin of toms and a shallot (shallot is sautéed in either butter or coconut oil first), you can add some smoked paprika, chili flakes or anything else you like. At the moment, as you are avoiding most plants, you could leave out the herbs and shallot from the meatloaf. Substitute the tomato sauce for a fried egg.

Last night's dinner was 9g carb/25g Fat/50g Protein

Tonight we are having a thick pork chop 250g, sautéed mushrooms & green beans 4g Carb/70g Fat/45g Protein.

BTW
My GP is very supportive of this way of eating, as are a growing cohort enlightened GPs around the UK. GP Dr David Unwin won an innovation award from the NHS for his work with his obese, diabetic & heart patients. He has produced some very helpful infographics with the help of Professor Roy Taylor of Newcastle University. https://diabetestimes.co.uk/sugar-infog ... -download/

When you start introducing veg back into the diet http://www.dietdoctor.com has great clear info on what to eat & what to avoid/moderate.

Also check out; https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/u ... -Unwin.pdf

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 23rd, 2021, 5:48 pm

WandleHens wrote:Are you doing OMAD (One Meal A Day)?

I've been doing that for a couple of decades, partly due to laziness :) but I didn't know it was popular enough to have its own acronym. The only problem that I've found is that I need to be careful to consume adequate protein, partly because I'm a vegetarian.

RC

WandleHens

Postby WandleHens » February 23rd, 2021, 6:51 pm

but I didn't know it was popular enough to have its own acronym.

Oh yes, OMAD (One meal A Day) is quite popular in the fasting community. Not originated by, but popularised by Dr Jason Fung who is a Nephrologist (kidney doctor) who uses fasting to reverse kidney disease/ diabetes/obesity in his patients. His book The Obesity Code is an eye opener. He personally practices OMAD because it allows him to keep to a busy schedule, not think about food during the day. You spend less time thinking about what to eat, preparing food and the time spent eating. He's married with children & likes to have his meal with them each evening.

If I've had a busy day, I sometimes OMAD (but with a snack of olives or charcuterie while I prepare/cook dinner). This only happens now & then. My default is coffee early morning, lunch 2.30/3pm, dinner 7.30pm.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 2nd, 2021, 4:01 pm

Interesting article (or depressing depending on your outlook) in the Guardian about meat consumption:

Higher consumption of unprocessed red and processed meat combined was associated with higher risks of ischaemic heart disease, pneumonia, diverticular disease, colon polyps and diabetes, and higher consumption of poultry meat was associated with higher risks of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, gastritis and duodenitis, diverticular disease, gallbladder disease and diabetes.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/mar/02/eating-meat-raises-risk-of-heart-disease-diabetes-and-pneumonia

RC

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 7th, 2021, 10:54 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:Interesting article (or depressing depending on your outlook) in the Guardian about meat consumption.

Yesterday the farm down the lane did a Pop-up shop to sell some of their grass-fed beef. We bought some rib-eye and some less interesting cuts.
The bullock or bullocks from which it came were looking over our hedge lasy year, my wife fed them with oddments of vegetation, so it will be like eating an old friend.

I think diets which deliberately omit a whole spectrum of nourishment - veggie, vegan - may be survivable but are fundamentally dubious. We are not deigned that way. Everything in moderation.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 7th, 2021, 12:37 pm

88V8 wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:Interesting article (or depressing depending on your outlook) in the Guardian about meat consumption.

Yesterday the farm down the lane did a Pop-up shop to sell some of their grass-fed beef. We bought some rib-eye and some less interesting cuts.
The bullock or bullocks from which it came were looking over our hedge lasy year, my wife fed them with oddments of vegetation, so it will be like eating an old friend.

I think diets which deliberately omit a whole spectrum of nourishment - veggie, vegan - may be survivable but are fundamentally dubious. We are not deigned that way. Everything in moderation.

V8

Agreed, humans are omnivores, although I read somewhere recently that vegetarians outlive meat eaters. Moderation, I think, is key to both health of the individual and the Earth. Very little beef, both globally and in the UK, is predominantly grass fed, it's a relatively high cost product only available to the relatively few who can afford it. It takes a lot of grass - and consequently land - to feed a cow from birth to slaughter. Beef production globally is apparently a major cause of greenhouse gases and in some countries rampant deforestation. It seems likely that meat eating will have to decline substantially in the future for environmental reasons and because people are becoming more aware of the dreadful animal welfare conditions upon which the meat industry is built. My mother used to tell me that when she was a child growing up in the countryside most people 'knew' the animal that they eventually ate as you and your wife do but that has become the exception nowadays in the same way that few know the cow that produces milk for our tea or cereal. I hope you enjoy your locally produced rib-eye, I suspect future generations won't be able to do so.

RC

anniesdad
Lemon Pip

Postby anniesdad » March 14th, 2021, 8:45 am

Replying to the original post I just want to say good luck. I see that you’ve focussed entirely on diet. Have you thought about some sort of muscle building training? Body weight stuff is so simple and effective - needs no equipment and can be done at home. Creating muscle burns energy. Maintaining that muscle once it’s there will suck up excess calories. You will in effect change your metabolic rate. Side effects are ... You’ll sleep better - very important for weight loss, relieve stress, improve posture and your joint health. I think diet in conjunction with exercise will get you there quicker and maybe get you a few more admiring glances along the way lol.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 14th, 2021, 10:17 am

A very interesting thread. Thanks to all who have contributed. I seem to eat fairly healthily according to what has been written, as I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. I do not eat a lot of meat but when I do I buy it from our local butcher and I know at least one of the local farmers who supplies him with grass fed beef. I undoubtedly eat too much cheese and need to do something about that. What I never do is buy ready meals and very little processed food and what I do eat I could easily cut out.

I was reading the Lazarus Strategy by one Dr Norman Lazarus about How to Age Well and Wisely. It is not particularly about diet although of course that comes into it. He says that exercise is good for us all but you will not lose weight that way but it is good for you in many other ways. Eating less and eating better is the only way.

This man is 84, is still working at the Centre for Human and Applied Physiological Studies at King's College and takes no medication so he must be doing something right. I appreciate that it is slightly off topic but I would recommend it to any 'elderly' people reading this.

Dod

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » March 14th, 2021, 12:02 pm

anniesdad wrote:Replying to the original post I just want to say good luck. I see that you’ve focussed entirely on diet. Have you thought about some sort of muscle building training? Body weight stuff is so simple and effective - needs no equipment and can be done at home. Creating muscle burns energy. Maintaining that muscle once it’s there will suck up excess calories. You will in effect change your metabolic rate. Side effects are ... You’ll sleep better - very important for weight loss, relieve stress, improve posture and your joint health. I think diet in conjunction with exercise will get you there quicker and maybe get you a few more admiring glances along the way lol.

Considerable support for that point of view in the BBC Programme 'The Truth About Getting Fit at Home'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... it-at-home

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 14th, 2021, 12:33 pm

I thought I'd like to update where I'm at. Currently exercise isn't on the list because I have some aches and pains. I've set two years aside to get back to my fighting weight. The first part of the plan is to identify what I can eat and what I can't. I'm still getting some tummy pains and this week on two days they were significantly unbearable. I can't do gluten, lactose or avenin (oats) and currently I'm eating a lot of meats and cheese. I'm aware that's not perfect but it's where I'm at in the journey. I want to add back vegetables and fruits as soon as possible but again that's going to be a slow process. I had a baked potato this week with some chilli-con-carne. Tasted great. Normally the chilli is home made but this time it came for a tin. And something in that tin caused some symptoms. We "think" it was beans. So beans are off the menu currently. The symptoms are bloating, distension and just feeling lousy.

I've been reasonably physically fit for most of my life. However, the last decade has seen the weight creep up.

I've been back at work for three weeks now after four months off. That's tired me a little. It's also one of those times of the year when I do sleep well. Winter and summer can be difficult due to my SAD albeit I am now more prepared to face that and don't feel it will be a problem from herein. Something has clearly happened to my digestive system and that remains a work in progress. The [congenital] obstructive sleep apnea is managed well although with my Covid hairstyle my mask slips a lot and that's a minor erosion that probably adds to the general fatigue.

Last Friday the Father in Law tested positive for Covid. He's been vaccinated and is showing no symptoms. He's been in hospital for the last month after he fell and snapped ligaments in both knees. My good lady is self isolating with no symptoms. My Mum had day surgery on Sunday on her eye and is being treated for breast cancer and awaits an operation to remove part of one of her lungs again due to cancer.

So we are busy running around after them all. I'm not feeling any stress from all of this. It's just happening and we want to be there. We haven't been to Mum's today for obvious reasons.

I'm eating less and not craving sweet stuff as much as I did. I'm taking probiotics with my food to see if that helps.

AiY

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » March 14th, 2021, 2:08 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Currently exercise isn't on the list because I have some aches and pains.

AiY have you considered a "Bullworker"? Very old technology now I know but I have had one in the house since I was 16, you can pick up a second hand one off ebay for £20-£30 and they are really well made.

I still use them ( I have had several- currently an old X5 model) and especially during late winter early spring when the weather ( and lack of light) really make outside garden work and maintenance a low priority for me.

If you Google: "Total Body Isometric Exercise Workout bullworker" the first 'hit' on the Bullworker site shows a routine which takes about twenty minutes to half an hour - most of which you can do sitting down! There are also of course some useful independent videos on Youtube.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 14th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Sobraon wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Currently exercise isn't on the list because I have some aches and pains.

AiY have you considered a "Bullworker"? Very old technology now I know but I have had one in the house since I was 16, you can pick up a second hand one off ebay for £20-£30 and they are really well made.

I still use them ( I have had several- currently an old X5 model) and especially during late winter early spring when the weather ( and lack of light) really make outside garden work and maintenance a low priority for me.

If you Google: "Total Body Isometric Exercise Workout bullworker" the first 'hit' on the Bullworker site shows a routine which takes about twenty minutes to half an hour - most of which you can do sitting down! There are also of course some useful independent videos on Youtube.

My good lady bought me one for Xmas. I've not been able to get it out of the box :lol: Sorry my bad :roll: I did a lot of swimming when young and could do 100 press ups and sit ups quite easily. I was actually doing a lot of "civils" work in the back garden two or three years ago when the stomach pains first really started. Initially I thought I perhaps had some sort of hernia. But they've ruled that out. They did find H. Pylori and as that causes stomach cancer in 2% of people they treated me with two anti-biotics at the same time and a PPI to boot. That seemed to be the point of no return. Since then we've identified some food intolerances and have adapted my diet. But I don't think we've identified them all. Plus we don't know how much damage has been done internally. I'm guessing it will heal given time. My weight problem is my tummy mainly. I had planned on aerobics when I start exercising. Walking will help I know and I'm trying to get into a routine which will allow me to take the dogs up to the Westwood and walk them there. It's 400 acres of Common Land with a race course and golf course sat upon.

Thank you for your kindness - it is something to think about and as you say it's an easy win.

AiY

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 14th, 2021, 3:58 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: Since then we've identified some food intolerances and have adapted my diet. But I don't think we've identified them all.

AiY

Have you considered probiotics? They seem to have become a fashionable thing but it seems that a lot have little effect because they are destroyed in the stomach. My wife's GP suggested some to her, they come in capsule form and supposedly survive the stomach acids so that they can do their thing in the lower gut. She has found them beneficial. Happy to pass on the details by PM if you like. It seems that we are learning much more about the bugs in our digestive systems which can only be a good thing.

RC

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 14th, 2021, 4:07 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote: Since then we've identified some food intolerances and have adapted my diet. But I don't think we've identified them all.

AiY

Have you considered probiotics? They seem to have become a fashionable thing but it seems that a lot have little effect because they are destroyed in the stomach. My wife's GP suggested some to her, they come in capsule form and supposedly survive the stomach acids so that they can do their thing in the lower gut. She has found them beneficial. Happy to pass on the details by PM if you like. It seems that we are learning much more about the bugs in our digestive systems which can only be a good thing.

RC

I'm taking Bio-Kult at the moment. But I keep forgetting to take them :roll: When I do remember I take them with my food. If there's a better option please do send me a pm of the name please. Thank you

AiY

anniesdad
Lemon Pip

Postby anniesdad » March 16th, 2021, 9:23 am

‘We think it was beans, symptoms boating ....’

Google FODMAP diet or ask your gp about it.

Human body’s are still evolving with regards to certain types of food. Everyone has a different tolerance but beans, wheat, lactose are common triggers fir most people. If you don’t have sufficient enzymes in your body those sugars just can’t be digested which leads to bloating, discomfort etc. With milk for example your body needs to have synthesised one Lactase molecule to digest one Lactose molecule. Consume more than this and you’re in trouble. Humans are the only mammals to produce lactase in adult hood and it’s still evolving and it’s only working effectively (sometimes) in the Anglo Saxons gene pool. And even then Lactase production reduces every year as you age past childhood.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2021, 9:35 am

anniesdad wrote:‘We think it was beans, symptoms boating ....’

Google FODMAP diet or ask your gp about it.

Human body’s are still evolving with regards to certain types of food. Everyone has a different tolerance but beans, wheat, lactose are common triggers fir most people. If you don’t have sufficient enzymes in your body those sugars just can’t be digested which leads to bloating, discomfort etc. With milk for example your body needs to have synthesised one Lactase molecule to digest one Lactose molecule. Consume more than this and you’re in trouble. Humans are the only mammals to produce lactase in adult hood and it’s still evolving and it’s only working effectively (sometimes) in the Anglo Saxons gene pool. And even then Lactase production reduces every year as you age past childhood.

Thank you. That's spooky as I am ringing around now to find a dietician to deal with a fodmap diet. I can't digest many things currently, including some vegetables.

AiY

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » March 16th, 2021, 10:42 am

It would be nice to lose a stone or so for summer.

I've never been a follower of any 'set' rigid diet. So this thread is fascinating. Without health reasons for reducing weight, my own preference is more a no set rules approach. Just calorie counting to gain bad habit awareness & adjustment using sensibility, following stomach and body rumbles/signs, moderation and eating fresh foods where possible.

MyFitness pal was something I found very useful when I last lost weight. Using it for around three or four weeks at first with no dietary moderation to see where the norm lay. It really helped identify what the weight adding foods were and made it very easy to eliminate or substitute them. It also identified where snacking habits were and targeted the problem areas. Finding out a large glass of wine was the dietary calorie equivalent to a doughnut was a fair shock and pizzas are a dreadful calorie thing.

It also gives all sort of other info like sugar/vits etc. I may dig it out again after seeing this thread. Even just seeing the calories of a shortbread finger biscuit makes you less likely to eat two or three, but eat the one with much more enjoyment.

The very best beef burgers and meatballs can be had by buying the finest beef from a local butcher, then one can know exactly what is in them. Making up a batch and freezing them is easy.

It's relatively easy to substitute lower calorie actions for all high calorific habits, like grilling instead of frying, use a nonstick teflon mat for the breakfast fried egg instead of the fat in a pan or sub a boiled egg instead, boiling potatoes instead of having chips, steaming the veg and not putting that large knob of butter on, casseroles replacing greasy roasts or place the meat on a dripping tray so the fat runs off. Using an air fryer instead of a greasy pan etc etc. Drink a gin and tonic instead of the sweet vermouth cocktail or beer. Avoid the calorific peanuts/crisps and make a prettier dish of chopped carrots/celery/mini tomatoes instead.

One thing I am passionately ANTI anyway, especially for any dieting, is low calorie sweeteners of any kind and especially aspartame. They do not alter a sweet sugar habit in the slightest, but get the person more and more used to the taste of sweeter foods under a false mantle of dietary safety. Eat real sugar/honey/syrup if you must, just less of it and enjoy it all the more.

(Reason for the hatred = My parents ate oodles of sweeteners all their life and mum ended up with parkinsons/dementia and dad has dementia, so I'm convinced they're linked because sweeteners interfere with the bodys neurotransmitters).

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2021, 10:54 am

Pipsmum wrote:It would be nice to lose a stone or so for summer.

I've been using sweeteners as a substitute for many years now. I use Sweetex. Last night came the realisation it's time to start drinking less tea (decaffeinated) and more water. Yuk :lol:

I've been adding honey to my morning rice porridge flakes. And last night read that honey shouldn't be in my diet. Sheesh :lol:

We've tried making home made beef burgers but have yet to perfect the outcome. We've been buying those made by the local supermarket butchers.

I think there's a complete disconnect between my taste buds and food that's good for me :shock: :lol:

AiY

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 16th, 2021, 3:40 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:.... two anti-biotics at the same time and a PPI to boot..

Payment Protection Insurance. Was this a private hospital :)

Anibiotics can play havoc with the gut biome.
It would be worth have a chat with the GP about a faecal transplant.

V8

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”