Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Psychedelics

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Psychedelics

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 20th, 2021, 3:11 pm

The most exciting aspect of this trial is a sense that we are on the verge of a paradigm shift in mental healthcare linked to an improved understanding of the origins of depression, and how we can most effectively treat it. In my view, this shift will take us away from an outdated and myopic “drug-alone” perspective that has dominated psychiatry for several decades, and towards a multi-level “biopsychosocial” model. This model sees the symptoms of depression as an adaptive response to adversity, with decipherable – albeit complex – psychosocial causes. Psychedelics can treat depression by activating powerful brain states that have evolved in humans to catalyse deep psychological change.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/20/psychedelics-depression-treatment-psychiatry-psilocybin

RC

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Psychedelics

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2021, 9:43 pm

For my final year thesis in my psychology BSc in 1977, I wrote about the potential medical usage of LSD in treating depression...I was clearly ahead of my time!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 21st, 2021, 10:06 pm

redsturgeon wrote:For my final year thesis in my psychology BSc in 1977, I wrote about the potential medical usage of LSD in treating depression...I was clearly ahead of my time!

Weren't the envisaged healthcare benefits of LSD a reason for its original invention and manufacture? It only became illegal in the US in 1968 and in the UK in 1971. Before then it was deemed a medicinal possibility, just like cannabis is now.

The one and only time I took it was 1971 while working a student summer holiday job at Harrods, when one of the other porters slipped me a tab. It helped.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 21st, 2021, 10:40 pm

Lootman wrote:Weren't the envisaged healthcare benefits of LSD a reason for its original invention and manufacture? It only became illegal in the US in 1968 and in the UK in 1971. Before then it was deemed a medicinal possibility, just like cannabis is now.

The one and only time I took it was 1971 while working a student summer holiday job at Harrods, when one of the other porters slipped me a tab. It helped.

Hofmann became an employee of the pharmaceutical/chemical department of Sandoz Laboratories (now a subsidiary of Novartis), located in Basel as a coworker with professor Arthur Stoll, founder and director of the pharmaceutical department. He began studying the medicinal plant Drimia maritima (squill) and the fungus ergot, as part of a program to purify and synthesize active constituents for use as pharmaceuticals. His main contribution was to elucidate the chemical structure of the common nucleus of the Scilla glycosides (an active principal of Mediterranean squill). While researching lysergic acid derivatives, Hofmann first synthesized LSD on 16 November 1938. The main intention of the synthesis was to obtain a respiratory and circulatory stimulant (analeptic) with no effects on the uterus in analogy to nikethamide (which is also a diethylamide) by introducing this functional group to lysergic acid. It was set aside for five years, until 16 April 1943, when Hofmann decided to reexamine it. While re-synthesizing LSD, he accidentally absorbed a small amount of the drug through his fingertips and discovered its powerful effects.

It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation.... I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be.

— Albert Hofmann, Speech on 100th birthday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Hofmann

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 21st, 2021, 11:29 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Lootman wrote:Weren't the envisaged healthcare benefits of LSD a reason for its original invention and manufacture? It only became illegal in the US in 1968 and in the UK in 1971. Before then it was deemed a medicinal possibility, just like cannabis is now.

Hofmann became an employee of the pharmaceutical/chemical department of Sandoz Laboratories (now a subsidiary of Novartis), located in Basel as a coworker with professor Arthur Stoll, founder and director of the pharmaceutical department. He began studying the medicinal plant Drimia maritima (squill) and the fungus ergot, as part of a program to purify and synthesize active constituents for use as pharmaceuticals. His main contribution was to elucidate the chemical structure of the common nucleus of the Scilla glycosides (an active principal of Mediterranean squill). While researching lysergic acid derivatives, Hofmann first synthesized LSD on 16 November 1938. The main intention of the synthesis was to obtain a respiratory and circulatory stimulant (analeptic) with no effects on the uterus in analogy to nikethamide (which is also a diethylamide) by introducing this functional group to lysergic acid. It was set aside for five years, until 16 April 1943, when Hofmann decided to reexamine it. While re-synthesizing LSD, he accidentally absorbed a small amount of the drug through his fingertips and discovered its powerful effects.

It gave me an inner joy, an open mindedness, a gratefulness, open eyes and an internal sensitivity for the miracles of creation.... I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD. It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be.

— Albert Hofmann, Speech on 100th birthday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Hofmann

RC

I'd assumed this thread was a result of Bicycle Day; which was Monday.
The interest in this stuff seems to peak at the same point every year ;)

- sd

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 22nd, 2021, 12:39 am

redsturgeon wrote:For my final year thesis in my psychology BSc in 1977, I wrote about the potential medical usage of LSD in treating depression...I was clearly ahead of my time!

Hardly ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 22nd, 2021, 8:37 am

mc2fool wrote:

Hardly ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

He was my inspiration.

John

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » April 22nd, 2021, 8:54 am

>This model sees the symptoms of depression as an adaptive response to adversity

& also a selective advantage, I've always thought this was the best way of looking at it. It seems possible to me that depression & its cousin paranoia, have the effect of you removing yourself from society, when perhaps you're becoming quite intolerable to other people. Therefore you're less likely to come to a sticky end.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”