Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

20 year chip

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

20 year chip

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 26th, 2021, 12:47 pm

A few weeks ago I mentioned to my OH that it was nearly 20 years since I had drunk any alcohol. In the course of conversation I mentioned that in the US it is common in AA groups for alcoholics to be given a 'chip' (originally a poker chip) to mark periods of sobriety. Although I don't remember the exact day when I last drunk alcohol I do know it was in the 3rd week in April 2001. A few days ago I mentioned that I had passed the 20 year mark and my OH duly produced a rather nicely made 20 year sobriety chip. I became more emotional than I would have expected :)

I have been lucky. My best friend who I met when he was at university shared my addiction. He died of alcohol related causes in 2008, I have a picture of him with his young daughter on my office shelf. Before I stopped drinking alcohol I talked about it to my GP who was a decent type. A couple of years later he left the practice and the reason - it eventually transpired - was because he kept turning up for work partly drunk.

RC

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”