Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

GP record sharing opt out

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
1nvest
Lemon Quarter

GP record sharing opt out

Postby 1nvest » June 23rd, 2021, 1:49 pm

What with the opt out of automatic organ donation and now opting out GP data sharing (history indicates that data can be lost/stolen)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57555013

Surely the onus should be to seek your permission (opt in) rather than you having to opt out. My first attempt at online opt out failed. So now I have to spend even more time printing forms off, filling them in and getting them to the GP :x

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: GP record sharing opt out

Postby pje16 » June 23rd, 2021, 1:53 pm

having had an emergency situation a few years ago I'm happy for my info to be shared
This wasn't my situation BUT
Imagine you're unconsicous, on your own - who tells the ambulance staff about you?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm

pje16 wrote:having had an emergency situation a few years ago I'm happy for my info to be shared
Imagine you're unconsicous, on your own - who tells the ambulance staff about you?

I agree. But how exactly will this work?

From that report:
The database will collect information on patients' physical, mental and sexual health, including details of diagnoses, symptoms, test results, medication and immunisations. It will also include data on sex, ethnicity and sexual orientation.
NHS Digital points out that this information can already be extracted from GP practices at the moment, with 300 requests made last year.
It says the new central database will mean patient information will be accessed and stored in a more consistent way.
But critics point out that approved third parties - such as researchers at universities, charities or private companies - will be able to access the data under certain circumstances.

Then we are assured:
The shared data does not include names and addresses - only a postcode which is replaced by a randomly generated unique code.

So how do the ambulance crew access your details? Are there actually two databases? One for use within the NHS only and another for sharing? Nothing has been explained!

Finally:
There have also been concerns that patients have not been given enough information about the new scheme or what it means for their data.

Very true!

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 23rd, 2021, 2:31 pm

pje16 wrote:having had an emergency situation a few years ago I'm happy for my info to be shared

pj, this isn’t about that sort of data sharing. Data will always be shared within the NHS (well, within the limits of it’s IT - which means slowly if ever - even now most “hot” info is shared over the ‘phone). This “data-sharing” proposal could better be described as data-selling, i.e. to bodies (health insurance, pharmaceutical etc) outwith the NHS, for a price. Oh, the data’s worth a fortune, and once this “big data” gets played with by the AI’s of google, Amazon and the like, I wouldn’t hazard to imagine what might come of it. OK, properly anonymised and given to respectful research bodies, yes. But that’s just HMG’s smoke-screen.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”