Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus Question

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Coronavirus Question

Postby WickedLester » October 15th, 2021, 4:24 pm

This is about a specific circumstance not a general question so I hope it will be allowed to remain here and not be moved to the general Coronavirus threads.

For the last year or so I have been working as a delivery driver for a local Fish & Chip shop. The company has measures in place to stop the spread of Covid but last night one of my colleagues was working when he had self declared that he had classic Covid symptoms (loss off sense of taste and persistent cough). The manager is aware of this. He says he did a LFT test and it came back negative although I understand that the free ones the Government give out are not that accurate.

Now I have been double jabbed but that only gives limited protection. I don't want to catch Covid and one of the reasons for this is that I currently live with my parents who are in their 80's and it could prove fatal for them (although they recently had their booster jab).

What should I do, I am due to work with him tonight and feel uncomfortable about this as I think he should have been sent home yesterday? What could I do if I catch Covid from him and have to take time off work (I don't get sick pay), or even worse I give it to one of my elderly parents and something serious happens?

Would I have a case against the company under the HSA act or personal injury if I suffer a loss due to their careless attitude?

Any advice gratefully received.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus Question

Postby pje16 » October 15th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Not sure that you would have a case
You know the situation and are walking into it
They did a LFT so I don't see how that is being careless
Others with more of an HR background on here may know better

PS well done for your consideration of your parents

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » October 15th, 2021, 4:34 pm

I accept that I could refuse to to work but it seems wrong that healthy staff should have to stay at home so that infected ones can work!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 15th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Agreed
not everyone, by a long way, is considerate

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 15th, 2021, 8:21 pm

WickedLester wrote:Would I have a case against the company under the HSA act or personal injury if I suffer a loss due to their careless attitude?

I would refuse to work for one day and see if that produces any change of heart by the management.

The sick staff member is presumably also putting the customers at risk... do they have a Facebook page... get someone to post on it about this sicko who is still working.

A good quality mask will go a long way to mitigate your risk - you will have seen the mask recommendations on the Coronavirus board.

But I think you should repost this question on the Legal board.

V8

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » November 9th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Just a quick update on this.

There now appears to be a COVID outbreak at the store. The manager has it and is quite ill and I think the assistant manager also has it (she lives with the guy who came to work with COVID symptoms). I've thus far shown no symptoms and anyway it is my last shift on Friday as I am going back to the 9 to 5.

But perhaps if they'd been more cautious in the first place this could have been avoided.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”