Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cholesterol - how to improve it?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cholesterol - how to improve it?

Postby stevensfo » March 6th, 2022, 7:18 pm

Never forget that cholesterol is an integral part of the cell membrane so we all need plenty.

I won't repeat what's been said, but I have blood tests every year and my 'total' cholesterol has always been slightly above average. However the LDL (bad cholesterol) and HDL 'good cholesterol' ratios improved significantly after following a low carb diet. It's rather weird that the time I lost the most weight was when I consumed eggs, cheese, meat, fish, butter etc.

There's also the fact that it's never been healthy to mix foodstuffs. We didn't evolve like that. For millions of years our digestive system coped with meat for a while, then berries, then roots, then other plants, then....corn etc. The meat, potatoes, veg diet means your enzymatic juices are all mixed and a lot of food goes undigested. So your body uses all the sugars and carbs (c.f. petrol) which are basically long-chain sugars, then the protein and fats.

You have enough energy from the carbs? What happens to the fats? Into the bloodstream, stored in adipose tissue. Partly digested meat? Smelly farts! 8-)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 6th, 2022, 7:47 pm

bluedonkey wrote:To combat moderately high cholesterol, I've started regularly eating porridge oats, pistachios and tinned sardines. Not all in the same bowl! No idea if this has worked for me as I've not had a test since. By the way, the result produced by the NHS algorithm was that the cholesterol reading increase my chance of a heart attack in the next 10 years from the normal healthy standard for my age of 11.2% to ... 11.8%. Hmmm.

Yes I was told about the value of oats and pistachios (and also pomegranates) in reducing cholesterol as well. I combine all three into my morning cereal.

As for oily fish I am not sure why tinned fish would be singled out, except for convenience. I eat a lot of fresh fish including herrings, mackerel and sardines, so figure between those and sushi I have that covered, as well as Omega-3.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 6th, 2022, 9:30 pm

Lootman wrote:Yes I was told about the value of oats and pistachios (and also pomegranates) in reducing cholesterol as well. I combine all three into my morning cereal.

Replace the cereal with blueberries and raspberries and you'll do even better. Combine with cream or yogurt for a super low carb breakfast.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 7th, 2022, 9:23 am

stevensfo wrote:It's rather weird that the time I lost the most weight was when I consumed eggs, cheese, meat, fish, butter etc.

A long time ago, my doctor put me on a high protein regime called the Dukan diet. As I recall it, the idea was that eating lots of protein would make me feel full sooner, so I'd eat less. (It's the same logic as ending a meal with a cheeseboard. It 'finishes you off.')

I lost weight, but it wasn't without its disadvantages. Bad breath is a common result. And you can have too much protein- it can be doubleplus ungood for your kidneys, apparently. I went back to calorie counting.

BJ

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » March 7th, 2022, 12:15 pm

Today, Mrs F tried to get a test at Lloyds Pharmacy but despite making an internet booking they couldn,t do it owing to no kits.

She then bought a self test from Boots and the result showed her cholesterol was too high too, at 6.5.

In due course she will try a vitamin D self test.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 7th, 2022, 3:05 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
stevensfo wrote:It's rather weird that the time I lost the most weight was when I consumed eggs, cheese, meat, fish, butter etc.

A long time ago, my doctor put me on a high protein regime called the Dukan diet. As I recall it, the idea was that eating lots of protein would make me feel full sooner, so I'd eat less. (It's the same logic as ending a meal with a cheeseboard. It 'finishes you off.')

I lost weight, but it wasn't without its disadvantages. Bad breath is a common result. And you can have too much protein- it can be doubleplus ungood for your kidneys, apparently. I went back to calorie counting.

BJ

Yes, I think the high protein diet was quite fashionable at one time. Wasn't it the Atkins diet? But then they realised that the secret wasn't the protein, rather low carb. Carbs are just long-chain sugars and are broken down into glucose. e.g. sugar is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. After splitting, the fructose is converted by the liver into glucose. Hunger pangs are caused by insulin making blood sugar levels going up and down. If you lower carbs, the blood sugar levels stabilise and you don't feel as hungry.
High protein is not good for the adult body. You have to excrete the excess nitrogen compounds and it puts strain on kidneys and liver. That's why the consensus for low carb is to mix fats, oils and different types of protein.
My problem was one of cravings! Although I didn't feel hungry, I couldn't stop myself from occasionally making toast and marmalade late in the evening. Sounds daft, but my favourite snack of all time is slightly burnt toast with plenty of butter and thick marmalade.
The slightest bit of sugar then switches your metabolism back to using the sugar instead of fats for energy.

Steve

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » March 7th, 2022, 4:23 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

The bad breath is most likely the consequence of ketosis. I fast regularly and my breath isn't good when fasting but it's a small price to pay for the health benefits. Sugar free mints help.

RC

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”