Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

DrF's 11 steps to weight loss

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

DrF's 11 steps to weight loss

Postby DrFfybes » March 8th, 2022, 5:26 pm

Following on from Arb's revelation of obsessive record keeping in the 5:2 thread, I thought I would post our meandering efforts to lose a bit of weight. Note that these thoughts are not necessarily based on science, or at least on real science, at least some of the time.

Background...
For the last few years, I've hovered around 11 - 11.5st depending on the season. This is about the weight I was 35 years ago at uni. Unfortunately it is no longer distributed in quite the same way. This may be due to me having to cycle everywhere back then, not really being a great fan of junk food, and not being quite so keen on wine. Or I'm just getting old and lazy.

MrsF has been a fairly constant [redacted] and over the last couple of decades has slowly and reluctantly got rid of her size 10 goth gear from 1980, the size 12s have largely gone, and every now and then the 14s go to the back of the cupboard and another short lived diet ensues.

Weight loss is made harder as until covid hit she was working full time, spending 8-10 hours per day at a desk, and I like to cook, and we both like wine. And Rum and coke, and etc etc. She went part time at the end of 2019, but has been working from home since.

So last year we decided to make a slow but concerted effort. And so I foolishly present...

DrF's 11 steps to weight loss.

Step 01. Eat less.
Einstein tells us E=mc2, E is energy measured in Joules, or calories, and m is mass. As c is the speed of light, and therefore fairly constant (see later), it stands to reason that consuming more energy means more mass.

Step 10. Move more.
Newton tells us that stopping and starting to move changes momentum, which requires Force, which requires Work, which uses Energy (we will ignore air resistance - see below). As above, energy is related to mass, so a change in momentum reduces mass.

Step 11. Learn Binary.
Because, really, when it comes to weight loss, those are the 2 rules.

Step 01 - Eat less.
Sure, you can dress it up in a myriad of ways, 5:2, high fibre, high fat, low carb, high protein, soup wednesdays, carrot before every meal, only eat foods begining with the same letter as the day of the week, the Rainbow diet (Red foods one day, orange the next, I just made that one up, but I bet it exists somewhere), Paloe diet, raw food diett, etc, but what all these things have in common is they are methods for trying to restrict your calorific intake, either by cutting out certain foods, all food, or smaller portions. The difficulty is finding a method that you can cope with, that suits you, your tastes, your health conditions, lifestyle, and most importantly, still gives you a healthy balanced (ish) diet that suits you.

Before you can eat less, it helps to know how much you are eating. We did a basic food diary, and got the baking scales out. It turns out that the cereal bowls hold nearly 2 standard portions with ease, and a single portion looks really small, unless it is shredded wheat, which just reminds me of Donald Trump, and is about as appetising. Crumpets are pretty stodgy but not hugely calorific, but as for pain-au-chocolat, :(
Lunch is typically bacon bap, fried egg bap, or soup and toast. Followed by 1/2 or a whole of the "Finest" range of cookie that the local supermarket sells (usually at £1.50/bag, or 2 for £2, so you buy 2. and eat them.).
A few cuppas during the day with a biccy, and then evening meal, which was either something with pasta, rice, often a "just cook" semi prepared meal, a 'TTD' Moussaka with 2 slices of garlic bread, and followed by some sort of sweet pud. Or cheese and biccies and port. Or peanuts and Brandy. Or a combination. 4 days or more per week this was accompanied by a bottle of wine.

It didn't take long to see that calories were around 500-1500 more per day than suggested by health professionals.

However, we didn't want anything drastic, it mustn't feel like a diet, because we would not cope with that. Not for us are those long days with an apple for breakfast, a bowl of thin soup for lunch, and then the long slow drag through the afternoon and evening until a normal meal at teatime. Because diets like that generally fail. This is because in those long lonely desperate hours, where you look at the clock at 4pm and an hour later it is still 4:15, time doesn't appear to slow down, it actually does. This is due to a reduction in the speed of light (see above for Einstein's equation), and the reason you don't lose weight is because as time slows, 'c' reduces, so m actually goes up for a given value of 'E'. Brian Cox, eat your heart out.

Eating less starts with a list - a shopping list. Not because of what is on it, but because of what isn't. Because when you have the willpower of a half starved labrador, the way to avoid gorgeing on cookies or snacking on port and fruit cake or Cognac and peanuts, is to not buy the things in the first place. However the secret turned out to not be replacing then with healthy alternatives (there are some very old and wrinkly apples in the fruit bowl as testament to this), but to replace them with slightly lower calorie similar alternatives. Except the garlic bread - we found a large salad with leaves, toms, olives, herbs, and some toasted mixed seeds was actually better than garlic bread. Healthier, more filling, and (surprisingly only slightly) lower calories. A LOT more expensive though.

A twirl, or kitkat, or similar gives you that luncthime sugar kick, but for about 200 calories less for a finger each, they're usually 4 bars for a quid, and the last longer so you don't feel obliged to eat them all within 3 days. A single crumpet for brekky is actually enough, and it doesn't need quite so much spread, saving another 150 cal. Similarly a single serving of cereal saves a few.

As for lunch, well those cartons of soup often on a deal are pretty low calory at around 120 per half pack, and one slice of bread or toast rather than 2 saves a bit. We still have the bacon or egg butties, usually on a Sheldons oven bottom muffin, but no spread, and soup is every other day. Sometimes we make our own soup, carrot and onion, Beetroot, and Brocolli and Stilton (as long as you get teh Stilton from the deli counter, as then you can buy a small bit and don't end up eating the rest with crackers and port later.

Then comes teatime. Gone are 4 or 5 bottles of wine per week, replaced with 3 (usually Fri, Sat, and Tues) and the other nights it is low sugar squash or Morissons do some interesting soft drinks in their posh range, generally 2 for £3. Spuds are almost a thing of the past, swede, carrots and beetroot offer a similar eating experience with fewer calories. We still roast them in a little oil,because they taste nice like that, but any spuds are just one or 2 of the small ones. And we replace that with veg, we like brocolli, cabbage, kale, green beans, etc. It isn't much, but it saves 100-150 cal per meal, and 250 for the substitued bottle of wine. And afterwards, well I like yoghurt and tinned peaches, but MrsF likes those little bars of Aldi/Lidl choccy, small intense hits of cocoa and sugar for about 120 cal, which is a shedload less than a GU dessert or a bowl of trifle.

These little changes mean the daily intake has dropped, not massively, but generally to 1500-1700 cal for MrsF and 2200-2500 for me. And the beauty of it is, we aren't actually missing anything. We're not punishing ourself with things we don't really like, or cutting out things we do like, we just found a way of eating slightly less of them and are pronbably eating more of the healthy things we like as well.

Rum and coke is now the Friday 6pm treat, but proper coke, not the hideous diet stuff, and not buying peanuts means the cognac probably has cobwebs on it.

Which brings me to step 2 (I'll assume you've mastered step 11 by now).
Move more.
Again, a baseline is needed. This turned out to be a £30 basic Huawei fitness watch from Argos. Purchased last September, it helpfully informed MrsF that she was managing about 4500 steps per day on average, and around 2k on a work day.
There are simple ways to move more, park further away from the office, use the stairs, but working from home precludes this. The downstairs loo is next door to MrsF's study, but the uptairs loo is 4o steps and 16 stairs further ways. Given her tea intake this can make quite a difference. Occasionally she cheats, but I can check on this by leaving the seat up and seeing how long it takes for her to tel me off.
A stroll around the garden or along the lane helps, but we needed an incentive, so like a lot of people in lockdown, we got a dog. Now last time either of us had a dog, Hades' bat population was saving up for their first motorcycle, and Robert Smith was still taking beach holidays in Mallorca, so we didn't go the usual route. We ummed and ahhed, wondered if we wanted the commitment, and finally at Xmas found a 14 year old staffie cross at the local RSPCA.The downside is that the arthritic old girl doesn't so much walk, as amble, so aerobic exercise isn't a benefit, and hence why I could discount air resistance (see above). However on days when MrsF doesn't work, 10-12k steps are the norm, and on working days it is nearer 5k, and as the evenings lighten up the dog walk will become after she stops so that will help. None of the effort of buying lycra or machinery, but we did look for walking boots and found out you could spend quite a lot of money on posh wellies, the local farm suppliers has them from £20 to £200+ a pair.

And so there we are. Small changes to our lifestyle, almost imperceptable, but enough to tip the balance towards Micawber's second principle. And the result has been far from spectacular. I have read that you weight settles according to your calories, there is a balance between intake and weight, whcich our contant overeating with no further weight gain seems to support. However it has yielded a slow and fairly steady decline in weight of 2.5 - 3lb per month.

Now this decline is not going to go on forever, for a start as mass decreases, so does momentum, hence exercise has less of an effect, and buoyed with initial succes we went back to the cake shop last week, which killed at least a day of dieting, but we have managed to avoid the takeaways.

Quite soon one of us will hit one of those round numbers that we like to see as a 'milestone', and then there will be a celebration of fajita wraps with dips and doritos (about 2000cal in 1 meal) or Chorizo and pasta in fresh cream with garlic bread, but until then the salmon with veg and couscous or grilled chops and veg will be a regular feature.

Paul

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: DrF's 11 steps to weight loss

Postby Gerry557 » March 10th, 2022, 6:16 am

The main thing is to find something that works for you. You have got the basic principle but as with most things actioning simple instructions can be difficult.

I too measured my intake and was shocked at how much smaller some portions are.

You are correct identifying small lifestyle changes that you can maintain rather than strict ideas that you suffer for short periods. Often these can lead to the opposite of what you want to achieve. Restricted diet intake can lead to your body slowing down trying to store fat for the famine.

It helps if you are active generally anyway. Not every one like a gym or doing cardio. Even harder if you have health or mobility issues. A brisk walk, done in a park, along a river or canal or in a local woods can aid being more active and has the added benefit of helping mental wellbeing.

Join a hiking or walking group to do even longer walks on days off and your lunch stop has already been earned. Cycling is also very good and something that grow over time and electric bikes can aid those with steeper bits.

I would also recommend weight/resistance training. Muscle burns more than calories than fat. Again start simply and improve over time. You can use tins or water bottles but a simple dumbell set is £30 and probably comes with an exercise chart. They are also lots of apps that can measure progress explain exercises etc. Muscle wastage is a big issue in the elderly so maintaining what you have is important for men and women.

Doing them together will help push each other on the days when you feel low.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 11th, 2022, 9:07 am

I was very interested and indeed entertained by the OP's comments. In the same situation, I managed to lose a few pounds quite quickly but the rest is proving very difficult to shift. I think I am active (for my age at least) and I walk 8/9,000 steps at least on alternate days and spend a lot of time gardening and so on. Between meals, I drink a lot of tea and/or coffee with no snacking and no sugar in either. When I deliberately eat less I find I lose energy for my walks but maybe that is what is intended so that I burn calories then?

I suspect I have been eating too many potatoes per portion, and I enjoy freshly made bread with smoked salmon or a salad. I think carbohydrates have something to do with losing weight and sadly, just generally eating too much, so have been deliberately reducing portion sizes, to no effect so far.

I wish the OP and his wife well, but I have no secrets to impart.

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 18th, 2022, 9:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Firstly, I will emphasise the intent was minimum impact on our lifestyle. MrsF has rheumatism, I have lower back problems, this limits what we can do. She can't cycle, I don't swim, neither can jog, so the idea of starting some sweaty cardio regime is a non starter :) We were hoping a brisk walk would help, but we actually do several 50 yards brisk walks, followed bu some standing around waiting for the dog.

I used to do a lot of exercise, 5 a side, gym several days a week, squash, MrsF did badminton, tennis, and the sports complex is litlerally over the lane from us, so there are options there, but out exercise is tailored mainly to taiming the acre of overgrowth that the estate agent optimistically described as 'mature gardens'.

Spring is here, which means more time in the garden, and at the phsio :( , and MrsF's busiest time of year workingin Finance, and we are finding it very easy to slip into our old ways after a heavy day (for either of us). Consequently we'ver kind of stalled wight loss wise.

Oddly I've been involved in organising a few villge things over the summer and Jubilee, which has meant 7:30pm meetings. The other night I got back and put a ready meal in the microwave and some veg on at 9pm. The Morissons finest risotto was so dreadful it went straight into the food bin, and surprisingly eating late I was fine with a plate of steamed greens and a couple of digestives, so I suspect a lot of the food 'deprivation' sensation is psychological.

Anyway, walkies time for us now :)

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » March 18th, 2022, 9:43 am

Moderation in all things and good genes. These seem the most important factors in good health to me. I am ok with the latter but not so good at the former.

MM

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 19th, 2022, 9:57 am

The only secret I can add is that cutting out simple carbs will usually result in rapid weight loss. The first time I tried this, I was amazed at how easy it was. You're allowed to eat all meats, fish, butter, cheese, eggs etc, but no bread, potatoes, rice etc and certainly no sugar whatsoever. However, a small amount of green salad and low calorie veg is allowed. For the first week, most weight loss is the glycogen stores being used up, but then the body starts to switch to using fats as an energy source. You can buy little indicator strips to check for how the ketosis is going.

Because there's no carbs (basically long chain sugars) the blood sugar levels don't go up and down all the time, so no insulin suddenly removing sugar and causing those dreaded hunger pangs. Apart from the occasional craving for toast or dark chocolate, I was never very hungry.

My cholesterol stayed about the same, but the HDL/LDL ratios improved a lot.

But not a diet for everyone. Giving up bread was the hardest bit for me. I don't have a sweet tooth, so tend to avoid sugar anyway and am always begging my wife to use less in fruit pies.

My downfall was alcohol!! Work was getting worse, and still is, so I started drinking more. A lot more!! Quite incredible how many calories in alcohol. Still trying to fight it!

Steve

PS I may join the new version of Alcoholics Anonymous. You drink as much as you want, but don't give your name! 8-)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 19th, 2022, 10:54 am

As a certain Mr Arnold Rimmer will one day say;

https://youtu.be/v-RJXIJrlKQ

(As sampled by Carter USM).

https://youtu.be/yMRVmkMlk6M

( might as well post the link for any Carter fans).

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 19th, 2022, 12:03 pm

stevensfo wrote:The only secret I can add is that cutting out simple carbs will usually result in rapid weight loss. The first time I tried this, I was amazed at how easy it was. You're allowed to eat all meats, fish, butter, cheese,

It sounded plausible up to "cheese" :) although it is possible to have too much.

I shared a flat at uni with smeone wo's parents made cheese. He brought a 1/4 wheel of crumbly Lancashire back one weekend and it lasted 2 days, then next week it lasted 4, and within 2 months we were begging him to stop bringing it.

The issue there is you're not eating a balanced diet, lack of veg, fibre, and vitamins, ketosis, high fat intake, higher risk of heart and kidney disease, etc, it isn't healthy long term. No point in being the thinnest corpse in the cemetry :)

Anyway it all went to rat poo this morning, as there was a charity cake stall in the village.

And we do like cak^H to be charitable,

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 19th, 2022, 12:28 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:The only secret I can add is that cutting out simple carbs will usually result in rapid weight loss. The first time I tried this, I was amazed at how easy it was. You're allowed to eat all meats, fish, butter, cheese,

It sounded plausible up to "cheese" :) although it is possible to have too much.

I shared a flat at uni with smeone wo's parents made cheese. He brought a 1/4 wheel of crumbly Lancashire back one weekend and it lasted 2 days, then next week it lasted 4, and within 2 months we were begging him to stop bringing it.

The issue there is you're not eating a balanced diet, lack of veg, fibre, and vitamins, ketosis, high fat intake, higher risk of heart and kidney disease, etc, it isn't healthy long term. No point in being the thinnest corpse in the cemetry :)

Anyway it all went to rat poo this morning, as there was a charity cake stall in the village.

And we do like cak^H to be charitable,

I know what you mean about Lancashire cheese. Fine in small doses!

From what I remember, the idea is that you start introducing more carbs after losing a certain amount of weight, but the important thing is to try and stick to 'useful' carbs that will provide fibre as well and avoid highly processed ones. Not easy in modern society.

Our old Biochemistry lecturer many years ago advised us to think about our evolution and how our bodies were meant to process food. Forget about the last fifty years. Had we evolved over millions of years taking in so much sugar? What about vegetable oil? Mixing our foodstuffs? "Want some potatoes with that mammoth?" ;) Using nitrites and other chemicals? I think we're starting to realise that the damage is cumulative and only noticed after a long time. Type two diabetes? Effect of partly digested protein and subsequent nitrogenous compounds due to mixing food and thus the enzymatic juices? My boss in the lab years ago used to sieve most of the sauce off the baked beans before he gave them to his son, to remove some sugar!

Then again, Heinz baked beans were great when we were young.

Free bubble baths! :lol:

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 22nd, 2022, 7:11 pm

stevensfo wrote:My downfall was alcohol!! Work was getting worse, and still is, so I started drinking more. A lot more!! Quite incredible how many calories in alcohol. Still trying to fight it!

PS I may join the new version of Alcoholics Anonymous. You drink as much as you want, but don't give your name! 8-)

Personally I've been seeking comfort and consolation in a bottle of brake fluid. But look, I can stop any time I want. (Tish badoom.)

I've been retired a couple of years now, so it's boredom rather than work stress that I need to watch, alcohol-wise. For me, simply buying less of the stuff in my weekly shop was a good place to start. But not as good as recognising in the first place that it might not be as simple as I'd fondly imagined. :| Fortunately, though, I have pretty good self-discipline, and holding the line isn't too arduous. A few favourite 0% alcohol bevvies also help.

As for sweet foods, I'm the same as you. If sugary things disappeared from the world tomorrow, I wouldn't notice. I'd rather have savoury any day. But fruit pies? Ooof, you're on your own with those things. And the hell of it is, we have nearly forty fruit trees in the garden. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”