Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MOT health check

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: MOT health check

Postby pje16 » May 3rd, 2022, 10:01 am

I have always been amazed that we don't have an MOT for humans (you know what I mean)
You get your car checked - why don't you have to check yourself
an annual checkup would save the NHS millions

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 3rd, 2022, 11:22 am

pje16 wrote:I have always been amazed that we don't have an MOT for humans (you know what I mean)

Nah, it would cost millions.

Most people (men in particular) just ignore things and hope thy go away. Just think how much more would be spent on cancer treatment, Angina medication ('no luv, just a bit of indigestion again'), etc, and as for the extra pension payments to the ones that survive.....

Oh, erm, yes, Cars and driving. 760k dangerous cars on the road. And that's without a driver in them.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 3rd, 2022, 11:24 am

DrFfybes wrote:
pje16 wrote:I have always been amazed that we don't have an MOT for humans (you know what I mean)

Paul

Prevention is MUCH cheaper than cure

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 3rd, 2022, 4:30 pm

pje16 wrote:I have always been amazed that we don't have an MOT for humans (you know what I mean)...

I'm wondering how many "dangerous fails" I would get.

Julian F. G. W.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 3rd, 2022, 5:00 pm

You're still breathing so your manifold is ok
along with the pistons (heart) :lol:

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 3rd, 2022, 6:23 pm

pje16 wrote:You're still breathing so your manifold is ok
along with the pistons (heart) :lol:

As long as I don't pick the wrong day for the emissions test :lol:

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 4th, 2022, 8:59 am

pje16 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

I don't disagree. But consider it not from the view of the state, but that of individuals. It would save many people not just a lot of money, but also their long term physical and mental health to have early diagnosis and/or guidance on how to prevent future health problems. No doubt that would be worth a lot to nearly everyone, and be worth paying for.

How many of these people pay for such annual check-ups? How many might wish they had done so post receiving a preventable diagnosis? How many of those pay for a MOT on a car without complaining?

Why should it be mandated, or paid for by the state (which is just us individuals by another name at the end of the day), for it to be a good idea, or for it to be implemented by individuals?

(with apologies for drifting off topic)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 4th, 2022, 9:25 am

dealtn wrote:
pje16 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

I don't disagree. But consider it not from the view of the state, but that of individuals. It would save many people not just a lot of money, but also their long term physical and mental health to have early diagnosis and/or guidance on how to prevent future health problems. No doubt that would be worth a lot to nearly everyone, and be worth paying for.

How many of these people pay for such annual check-ups? How many might wish they had done so post receiving a preventable diagnosis? How many of those pay for a MOT on a car without complaining?

Why should it be mandated, or paid for by the state (which is just us individuals by another name at the end of the day), for it to be a good idea, or for it to be implemented by individuals?

(with apologies for drifting off topic)

What would be the point. The individual already knows but hasn’t done anything about it.

For physical health most unhealthy people know that they eat too much (and the wrong things), drink too much, do too little exercise, etc. so would it help for a medical professional to point out that someone is a fat old drunk who gets out of breath climbing stairs - and are they allowed to do that in these days of ‘body positivity’!

As for the MOT failures and the 8% dangerous - it doesn’t surprise me. These days with the reliability of cars the vast majority of people treat their car the same as any other appliance; they use it until it doesn’t work. So people never bother to check anything on the car themselves - it works or it doesn’t. Tyres - it has some. Brakes - I press the pedal and they work. Etc.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 4th, 2022, 10:11 am

AF62 wrote:What would be the point. The individual already knows but hasn’t done anything about it.

Utter rot
HOW do you know that about everyone
Without going into personal detail if I had had a checkup it would have saved a major operation
I had no idea anything was wrong and I am not in the slob category

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 4th, 2022, 10:12 am

DrFfybes wrote:
pje16 wrote:
I have always been amazed that we don't have an MOT for humans (you know what I mean)

Nah, it would cost millions.l

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the existing 'NHS Health Check' though...

The NHS Health Check is a free health check-up for adults in England age 40-74 who do not have any pre-existing medical conditions. It is designed to spot early signs of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and dementia which are more likely to develop as we age. The Health Check is intended to lower these risks.

From age 40 you should have a check every 5 years and may be called automatically by your GP surgery. If not, you can also book the test yourself in your surgery or at participating pharmacies, mobile units or via your local authority.

https://www.chaps.uk.com/more-info/men-s-health-and-the-nhs-health-check

More information here -

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-health-check/

Trying to keep on-topic where possible, I think the above is a good risk-based approach, similar to the one taken with car MOT's in relation to new cars, where the first proper MOT check only needs doing after three years of owning a new car, and hence these NHS health-checks are triggered around the 40-47 age range, and fairly regularly afterwards...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 4th, 2022, 1:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the existing 'NHS Health Check' though...

The NHS Health Check is a free health check-up for adults in England age 40-74 who do not have any pre-existing medical conditions. It is designed to spot early signs of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease and dementia which are more likely to develop as we age. The Health Check is intended to lower these risks.

From age 40 you should have a check every 5 years and may be called automatically by your GP surgery. If not, you can also book the test yourself in your surgery or at participating pharmacies, mobile units or via your local authority.

https://www.chaps.uk.com/more-info/men-s-health-and-the-nhs-health-check

More information here -

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/nhs-health-check/

Trying to keep on-topic where possible, I think the above is a good risk-based approach, similar to the one taken with car MOT's in relation to new cars, where the first proper MOT check only needs doing after three years of owning a new car, and hence these NHS health-checks are triggered around the 40-47 age range, and fairly regularly afterwards...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Yes, I've had those, but they are very much as AF62 says. They do do some blood tests for colestrel levels, diabetes etc, but I suspect they wouldn't show up the issue that pje16 had (but I could be wrong as of course I have no idea what that was).

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 4th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Gersemi wrote:Yes, I've had those, but they are very much as AF62 says. They do do some blood tests for colestrel levels, diabetes etc, but I suspect they wouldn't show up the issue that pje16 had (but I could be wrong as of course I have no idea what that was).

Ok it was a heart attack (very mild)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 4th, 2022, 2:59 pm

pje16 wrote:
Gersemi wrote:Yes, I've had those, but they are very much as AF62 says. They do do some blood tests for colestrel levels, diabetes etc, but I suspect they wouldn't show up the issue that pje16 had (but I could be wrong as of course I have no idea what that was).

Ok it was a heart attack (very mild)

And if there was an annual health test that was available and likely to identify the risks of having such, or similar, over the coming year would you, or indeed anyone, pay £35 for it? Or would you wait for the Government to make it mandatory, and then be happy to pay £35 for it. Or must it be paid for by the Government?

What's the difference between a car MOT and a personal health MOT when both protect society, but mostly protect the individual using the car, or body?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 4th, 2022, 3:21 pm

I pay enough in tax and NI for UK GOV to cover it
but as my major operation cost the NHS a fortune I have more than had my money's worth so would pay for it from now on
If I pay £35 for my Car annually surely I can do the same for me :D

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 4th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Interesting. For example I do pay to have an annual check up for my teeth, very much on the principle that it is cheaper to for them to identify any problems and address them before I start getting toothache. I guess the question is what is likely to be the result of any health check up? If it's just advice to exercise more, eat less/better and drink less alcohol, well I know that I should do that already.

Incidently past blood tests have shown that I was pre-diabetic and I did lose some weight (after attending an NHS course), but despite my best efforts it seems to be creeping back on :(

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 4th, 2022, 11:18 pm

Gersemi wrote:Interesting. For example I do pay to have an annual check up for my teeth, very much on the principle that it is cheaper to for them to identify any problems and address them before I start getting toothache. I guess the question is what is likely to be the result of any health check up? If it's just advice to exercise more, eat less/better and drink less alcohol, well I know that I should do that already.

Incidently past blood tests have shown that I was pre-diabetic and I did lose some weight (after attending an NHS course), but despite my best efforts it seems to be creeping back on :(

Do you at least partake of periodic cancer screening?

All of my family who have had their cancers found in routine screening have beaten them
- those who took the "ah why bother" route didn't

-sd

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 5th, 2022, 7:10 am

Gersemi wrote:I did lose some weight (after attending an NHS course), but despite my best efforts it seems to be creeping back on :(

I think a few of use can say that
it's known as Pandemic Paunch :lol:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 5th, 2022, 8:17 am

I don't need an MOT, I'm over 40 years old :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 5th, 2022, 8:31 am

Presumably you don't have to pay tax either :lol:

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 5th, 2022, 8:36 am

servodude wrote:
Gersemi wrote:Interesting. For example I do pay to have an annual check up for my teeth, very much on the principle that it is cheaper to for them to identify any problems and address them before I start getting toothache. I guess the question is what is likely to be the result of any health check up? If it's just advice to exercise more, eat less/better and drink less alcohol, well I know that I should do that already.

Do you at least partake of periodic cancer screening?

All of my family who have had their cancers found in routine screening have beaten them
- those who took the "ah why bother" route didn't

-sd

I partake in all the free screening offered by the NHS - I was addressing the question of whether I would pay for a check up. Incidently my mother also had regular breast cancer screening, but she still died of it at age 67.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”