Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Travel insurance while something being checked out by GP

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Travel insurance while something being checked out by GP

Postby Clariman » May 3rd, 2022, 6:49 pm

This seems as good a board as any to ask this question, because it is health related.

I have a couple of minor conditions which I declare on Travel Insurance applications. All such insurances have expired during Covid so I started to apply for an annual policy today. However one website said "if you are undergoing any investigation you must call us rather than do an online quotation". I completed an online quotation and then called them, but their answers were as clear as mud so I left it for now.

However, how do travel insurance companies deal with any health concern that is being investigated and how do potential travellers handle it? Do people NOT go on holiday until a diagnosis is forthcoming or do they go but go without some element of cover? I can see that an insurer might think they were insuring an unquantifiable risk.

Our situation is that we booked flights last night and reserved a hotel separately. However, I hadn't considered this week's visit to the GP about as being an "investigation" but, of course, it is - strictly speaking. I had a couple of standard tests, one of which was normal and another slightly abnormal so the GP suggested a non-urgent appointment. I suspect this is a flare up of an existing condition (one I declare) but, in theory, it could be other things and perhaps there maybe further investigations.

How do I and Travel Insurers handle this?

Thanks
C

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Travel insurance while something being checked out by GP

Postby Dod101 » May 3rd, 2022, 8:06 pm

That is really bad luck re the timing because obviously had you been holding an annual policy you would have been able to travel fully covered, I expect. As it is, as you have acknowledged, you have to advise the insurers because the ‘investigation’ is ongoing at the time you are applying for insurance. Obviously a sensible chat with someone in authority at the insurers is the first thing to do to gauge their reaction. Can you check with another insurer? I am ancient and need to buy one off policies every time I take an overseas trip. I have but one pre existing condition and that is old age but I can still get insurance. Maybe another insurer can help you. It needs a slightly different attitude from the insurers from their normal ‘No’ to pre existing conditions which you appear to be getting. Your problem is I guess that your condition is currently unknown which is probably worse than a known allergy or something like a pacemaker. Not sure that will help.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 4th, 2022, 9:07 am

Dod101 wrote:That is really bad luck re the timing because obviously had you been holding an annual policy you would have been able to travel fully covered, I expect.

Not necessarily. The terms and conditions of that annual policy would need to be consulted. It wouldn't be unusual I think for the insured to be required to advise the insurer of any changes since the granting of the policy.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 4th, 2022, 12:04 pm

dealtn wrote:
Dod101 wrote:That is really bad luck re the timing because obviously had you been holding an annual policy you would have been able to travel fully covered, I expect.

Not necessarily. The terms and conditions of that annual policy would need to be consulted. It wouldn't be unusual I think for the insured to be required to advise the insurer of any changes since the granting of the policy.

That is why I said, 'I expect'. It is possible that you are correct but I am sure the OP would check the conditions before travelling.

Dod

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » May 4th, 2022, 9:25 pm

The big problem here is, there are no “standard” terms and conditions in travel insurance. Every policy is different. It’s entirely down to the insurer and their contract. Advice given for one insurer might be completely different for another.

Sorry, I think all you can do is ring them and fight it out with them.

Gryff

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 5th, 2022, 5:29 pm

Thanks all. Saw GP today. Going to redo the tests. The abnormal one was only slightly higher than normal so he is expecting it to come back normal this time. My recent Covid may have caused the reading. Still makes no difference from a travel insurance perspective :roll: , but does from a general health reassurance perspective :)

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”