Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Is the NHS that bad?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Dod101
The full Lemon

Is the NHS that bad?

Postby Dod101 » August 25th, 2022, 7:18 pm

I am now in the ranks of the ancients but today I was impressed to get a letter from the NHS inviting me to come for another booster jab against Covid and to get my flu jab at the same time. The NHS has problems. We all know that, but as for Covid jabs they have been absolutely on the ball for me at least.

Bravo!

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Is the NHS that bad?

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2022, 7:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am now in the ranks of the ancients but today I was impressed to get a letter from the NHS inviting me to come for another booster jab against Covid and to get my flu jab at the same time. The NHS has problems. We all know that, but as for Covid jabs they have been absolutely on the ball for me at least.

Is that two jabs at the same time? Or some kind of combo jab?

I just had my 4th Covid jab and was told to have no other jabs for a few weeks.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 25th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am now in the ranks of the ancients but today I was impressed to get a letter from the NHS inviting me to come for another booster jab against Covid and to get my flu jab at the same time. The NHS has problems. We all know that, but as for Covid jabs they have been absolutely on the ball for me at least.

Well my jab last year at the same time offered me two separate ones, Covid and the flu jab. I had one in each arm, neither gave me any reaction. I guess it will be the same this time.

I genuinely am surprised how well it works, and the location is our local 'Cottage' hospital, about a mile from where I live in a semi rural spot.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Well my jab last year at the same time offered me two separate ones, Covid and the flu jab. I had one in each arm, neither gave me any reaction. I guess it will be the same this time.

I genuinely am surprised how well it works, and the location is our local 'Cottage' hospital, about a mile from where I live in a semi rural spot.

Yeah, it is impressive, I assume a lot of money went into this during Covid and it is a nice little earner for all those GP practices.

Even in rapacious America, vaccinations are generally free if you have insurance or go to a public facility. No co-pays or deductibles. Those who administer healthcare, whether public or private, understand that it is cost effective to prevent disease rather than treat disease.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 25th, 2022, 8:44 pm

Bravo!

Dod

"Is the NHS that bad?" is your thread title.

If you are impressed by getting a letter to invite you for the simple task of giving you two injections, then it shows how low expectations are.
So yes. It is that bad.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 25th, 2022, 9:20 pm

St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington were outstanding in their care of my pregnant Wife recently although severely short staffed.

Queen’s Hospital in Romford actually snapped at us for going there first when my Wife’s waters broke but I forgive them as they were obviously short staffed too.

Like any business, I think you have to be lucky to deal with the good members of staff rather than the bad. But I think that the NHS has a much larger percentage of the former than the latter than most.

HYD

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2022, 9:27 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington were outstanding in their care of my pregnant Wife recently although severely short staffed.

Isn't it a matter of tradition that the royal babies are all birthed at St. Mary's? So you could not have been in better hands.

I recall getting kicked out of the Paddington Hilton when Prince William was born. Apparently the press and the entourage were a higher priority.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 25th, 2022, 9:33 pm

absolutezero wrote:

Bravo!

Dod

If you are impressed by getting a letter to invite you for the simple task of giving you two injections, then it shows how low expectations are.
So yes. It is that bad.

Well I disagree. By itself, it is of course a simple enough task but given all the pressures etc that we hear about every day, I think it is impressive that they are doing precisely what they said they would do. I am not the only one being given a vaccination. Indeed over the course of the day, the week, the month or however long it takes to vaccinate the eligible people in my neighbourhood, they need to have a fully staffed set up of dedicated persons with all the logistics in place. Considering that it is apparently impossible to see a doctor with less than probably a heart on the blink and even then you need to give them several days notice, I think it is great that at least one part of the NHS is working.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » August 25th, 2022, 9:58 pm

Lootman wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington were outstanding in their care of my pregnant Wife recently although severely short staffed.

Isn't it a matter of tradition that the royal babies are all birthed at St. Mary's?

Indeed, though there is a separate wing for real royalty rather than perceived. ;)

I’m guessing it’s one of the only hospitals that doesn’t have a car park, so people can’t moan about the parking charges anyway. :lol:

HYD

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2022, 10:02 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Isn't it a matter of tradition that the royal babies are all birthed at St. Mary's?

Indeed, though there is a separate wing for real royalty rather than perceived. ;)

I’m guessing it’s one of the only hospitals that doesn’t have a car park, so people can’t moan about the parking charges anyway. :lol:

You can however park your canal boat there!

Anyway, congratulations. I recall your post from a few months ago asking if you were not too old to do this. You are not.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 25th, 2022, 10:52 pm

Lootman wrote:Yeah, it is impressive, I assume a lot of money went into this during Covid and it is a nice little earner for all those GP practices.

And pharmacists. £15 per jab benefit. When I had my second jab (in a local Church hall) the guy who worked for the pharmacist said they (team) were doing thousands/day. But that's just one small element of filtering off some of the 13.25% employee NI (supplemented with employer amounts) gravy train.

Since they doubled GP wages it seems very many GP's opted to transition over to part time (half week) working - which obviously has generated a shortage of GP's, or rather GP man-hours. Perhaps after the Covid bonus many pharmacists will simply retire early, as also seems to be the case with dentists.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2022, 6:21 am

1nvest wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yeah, it is impressive, I assume a lot of money went into this during Covid and it is a nice little earner for all those GP practices.

And pharmacists. £15 per jab benefit. When I had my second jab (in a local Church hall) the guy who worked for the pharmacist said they (team) were doing thousands/day. But that's just one small element of filtering off some of the 13.25% employee NI (supplemented with employer amounts) gravy train.

Since they doubled GP wages it seems very many GP's opted to transition over to part time (half week) working - which obviously has generated a shortage of GP's, or rather GP man-hours. Perhaps after the Covid bonus many pharmacists will simply retire early, as also seems to be the case with dentists.

There are always unintended consequences.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 26th, 2022, 8:10 am

Dod101 wrote:
There are always unintended consequences.

Dod

As the guy that caught COVID at his booster shot you can have a rec :)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 26th, 2022, 8:11 am

I think the NHS is excellent for the big things. I am currently having a course of 39 sessions of X-ray radiotherapy. All the staff are excellent and I cannot fault the whole setup in any way. I have previously had eye surgery at Moorfields Eye hospital and 3 heart operations at another hospital and the same comment goes for that too. Maybe I have been lucky? (or unlucky to need that lot!)

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 26th, 2022, 11:59 am

Dod101 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

Bravo!

Dod

So yes. It is that bad.

Well I disagree. By itself, it is of course a simple enough task but given all the pressures etc that we hear about every day, I think it is impressive that they are doing precisely what they said they would do. I am not the only one being given a vaccination. Indeed over the course of the day, the week, the month or however long it takes to vaccinate the eligible people in my neighbourhood, they need to have a fully staffed set up of dedicated persons with all the logistics in place. Considering that it is apparently impossible to see a doctor with less than probably a heart on the blink and even then you need to give them several days notice, I think it is great that at least one part of the NHS is working.

Dod

Any healthcare system anywhere in the developed world should be able to do this - and the treatments others have described above.

I'm always baffled by people bending over backwards to eulogise about bog standard medical treatment that the French or Germans would not be remotely excited about.

Why the NHS fetishisation?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2022, 12:14 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:

Bravo!

Dod

So yes. It is that bad.

Dod

Any healthcare system anywhere in the developed world should be able to do this - and the treatments others have described above.

I'm always baffled by people bending over backwards to eulogise about bog standard medical treatment that the French or Germans would not be remotely excited about.

Why the NHS fetishisation?

I am not remotely excited about it. My comment was simply that given the current situation with the NHS, long waits for ambulances ditto for elective surgery and so on, it is refreshing to see that at least with the vaccine program they are very much on the ball. I am not bending over backwards to eulogise anything and I do wish that people like you would stop implying that that is the case, not just with me but with anything positive that is said about the NHS. I suggest that you go back in your box.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 26th, 2022, 12:18 pm

In a different league to Covid
Back in May 19 I had a VERY mild heart attack
I had a mild pain in my chest and was short of breath

Sunday morning 11am rang 111
by 2.15pm I was in ICU recovering after a stent had been fitted at the Royal Free Hampstead

A little over 3 hours from picking up the phone, THAT was amazing
Last edited by pje16 on August 26th, 2022, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 26th, 2022, 12:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I am not remotely excited about it. My comment was simply that given the current situation with the NHS, long waits for ambulances ditto for elective surgery and so on, it is refreshing to see that at least with the vaccine program they are very much on the ball. I am not bending over backwards to eulogise anything and I do wish that people like you would stop implying that that is the case, not just with me but with anything positive that is said about the NHS. I suggest that you go back in your box.

Dod

Rather tetchy.

I raise a perfectly valid point about NHS "fetishism" and you pretty much tell me that criticism of the NHS is not allowed.
(Paraphrased but it seems you are implying only positive things can be said about the sainted NHS because we are not allowed to pick apart or question any positive comments.)

PS I don't have 'a box' to go back into...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 26th, 2022, 12:29 pm

absolutezero wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Rather tetchy.

I raise a perfectly valid point about NHS "fetishism" and you pretty much tell me that criticism of the NHS is not allowed.
(Paraphrased but it seems you are implying only positive things can be said about the sainted NHS because we are not allowed to pick apart or question any positive comments.)

Yes and I make no apology for being tetchy. This started out by me as a simple comment that the NHS said it would offer vaccines to everyone over 50 this Autumn and it is doing just that. Bravo, compared to its performance elsewhere. Well worth giving credit where credit is due instead of adopting a Victor Meldrew attitude and finding fault everywhere. I acknowledged that there are huge shortcomings with the NHS.

Dod

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » August 26th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Rather tetchy.

Yes and I make no apology for being tetchy. This started out by me as a simple comment that the NHS said it would offer vaccines to everyone over 50 this Autumn and it is doing just that. Bravo, compared to its performance elsewhere. Well worth giving credit where credit is due instead of adopting a Victor Meldrew attitude and finding fault everywhere. I acknowledged that there are huge shortcomings with the NHS.

Dod

Fair enough.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”