Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Shingrix vaccine for shingles

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Shingrix vaccine for shingles

Postby MyNameIsUrl » January 10th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Shingrix has been approved for use in the UK for a while now, and my reading seem to indicate it's more effective than Zostovax, for example:
Why is Shingrix better than Zostavax?
The main reason for the change from Zostavax to Shingrix vaccines is due to its very significantly improved effectiveness. Studies show Shingrix typically has over 95% efficacy in the over 65s. This effectiveness remains consistently high in patients over 70 or 80 and appears long lasting. In contrast, Zostavax efficacy is only about 35 to 40% in the over 65s, reducing in older patients.
source:
https://independentdoctor.co.uk/news/sh ... questions/

I'll be offered Zostovax free on the NHS later this year, but I'm thinking Shingrix (privately at around £500) might be a better option. My local pharmacies don't do it, and whilst Boots offers the vaccine on its website, there are no appointments available anywhere, leading to me to wonder if it's really available in the UK after all. Does anyone have any experience of Shingrix?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Shingrix vaccine for shingles

Postby Lootman » January 10th, 2023, 4:43 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Shingrix has been approved for use in the UK for a while now, and my reading seem to indicate it's more effective than Zostovax, for example:
The main reason for the change from Zostavax to Shingrix vaccines is due to its very significantly improved effectiveness. Studies show Shingrix typically has over 95% efficacy in the over 65s. This effectiveness remains consistently high in patients over 70 or 80 and appears long lasting. In contrast, Zostavax efficacy is only about 35 to 40% in the over 65s, reducing in older patients.
source:

I'll be offered Zostovax free on the NHS later this year, but I'm thinking Shingrix (privately at around £500) might be a better option. My local pharmacies don't do it, and whilst Boots offers the vaccine on its website, there are no appointments available anywhere, leading to me to wonder if it's really available in the UK after all. Does anyone have any experience of Shingrix?

My brother-in-law had the Shingrix vaccine in the US. He had a bad reaction to the first jab and so did not go back for his second. His reaction may have been extreme but I have heard elsewhere that it can evoke more of a reaction than most vaccines.

The cost was covered by his insurance, however, so that is one case of American healthcare being cheaper than the UK!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 10th, 2023, 4:48 pm

Lootman wrote:My brother-in-law had the Shingrix vaccine in the US.

The cost was covered by his insurance, however, so that is one case of American healthcare being cheaper than the UK!

Is this a record? :lol:

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 10th, 2023, 4:51 pm

XFool wrote:

How much was the insurance -it wasn't truly free (maybe to him...but)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 10th, 2023, 4:56 pm

pje16 wrote:
XFool wrote:

It is my understanding that American healthcare insurance typically covers preventative measures at 100% with no co-pay or deductible. I assume the reasoning is that it is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying to treat the disease the vaccines prevents.

I cannot say whether that applies to every vaccine but it apparently does for Covid, flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccines. US pharmacies are set up to administer vaccines, and to work directly with the insurers so that there is no cost to the patient.

He has his own business which presumably pays for his insurance.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 10th, 2023, 5:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
pje16 wrote:
XFool wrote:

It is my understanding that American healthcare insurance typically covers preventative measures at 100% with no co-pay or deductible. I assume the reasoning is that it is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying to treat the disease the vaccines prevents.

I cannot say whether that applies to every vaccine but it apparently does for Covid, flu, pneumonia and shingles vaccines. US pharmacies are set up to administer vaccines, and to work directly with the insurers so that there is no cost to the patient.

He has his own business which presumably pays for his insurance.

Thanks that sounds right to me and makes sense, but someone is picking up what is a pricy tab

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 11th, 2023, 10:46 am

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Shingrix has been approved for use in the UK for a while now, and my reading seem to indicate it's more effective than Zostovax, for example:
source:

We offer Shringrix vaccinations, it is available at the wholesalers and would cost about £500 for the two vaxs.

John

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » January 11th, 2023, 1:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:We offer Shringrix vaccinations, it is available at the wholesalers and would cost about £500 for the two vaxs.

Thanks. I am in Southwest England - are you likely to be within reasonable travelling distance? Would you like to send me a private message with your location, or would you prefer I sent you one?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 11th, 2023, 2:11 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:We offer Shringrix vaccinations, it is available at the wholesalers and would cost about £500 for the two vaxs.

Thanks. I am in Southwest England - are you likely to be within reasonable travelling distance? Would you like to send me a private message with your location, or would you prefer I sent you one?

PM sent.

John

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”