Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

First run in four years!

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: First run in four years!

Postby redsturgeon » May 2nd, 2023, 11:34 am

I have now completed five 30 mins runs and am about the same pace each time. Had a couple of twinges in the calves and had to walk for a bit on one run but apart from that it all going fine so far. Taking at least two days rest between running days and just walking the dogs about 5K as usual.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 23rd, 2023, 12:36 pm

Still running, it's getting easier and I am deliberately trying to go easy. Still at same pace, about 32.5 minute 5k. I took over my wife's Apple watch a couple of days ago, since she prefers a Fitbit and it was lying around doing nothing. Recording my heart rate has been a bit of an eye opener and I am trying to make sense of it and what it means for my running.

My resting HR is 51bpm which I guess is very good. At my age the usual formula of 207 minus (Age x 0.7) gives a max HR of 160 and I really should be exercising at this stage at less than 80% of that, so 128bpm should be the average.

Today my average HR on the 5k run was 150bpm. But I did not feel out of breath at all and could easily hold a conversation so I guess I should try to slow down for the moment and let my body acclimatise. Any thoughts welcome.

I certainly feel better mentally about myself although not seeing any physical change yet.

John

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » May 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm

redsturgeon wrote:My resting HR is 51bpm which I guess is very good. At my age the usual formula of 207 minus (Age x 0.7) gives a max HR of 160 and I really should be exercising at this stage at less than 80% of that, so 128bpm should be the average.

Today my average HR on the 5k run was 150bpm. But I did not feel out of breath at all and could easily hold a conversation so I guess I should try to slow down for the moment and let my body acclimatise. Any thoughts welcome.

That sounds like an updated version of the old formula 220 minus Age - no 0.7 involved, wasn't aware of that?

I'm 55 and would expect leisurely running to be 140-155 bpm, and comfortable. Not sure how the Zone2 recommendations relate to running, but lots of advice out there to do majority of cardio in Zone2 at a certain age - for me, on a bike that's about 125-140. I wouldn't go there regularly, but max hr I would get to before easing off would be c.163-165 on bike, maybe +10 running. My resting HR fluctuates from c.52-56

But running has the additional benefits of impact/joints, weight mgmt (for me), quick fix, and mental stimulation.

I'm unsure why you think you should slow down (warning: I am not qualified to give medical advice) - if it was me and I was slightly hesitant, I think I'd run the same route for a couple of weeks at the same pace, then monitor the HR to see if the avg (and ending) HR is dropping.

cheers
B

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 23rd, 2023, 5:31 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Still running, it's getting easier and I am deliberately trying to go easy. Still at same pace, about 32.5 minute 5k. I took over my wife's Apple watch a couple of days ago, since she prefers a Fitbit and it was lying around doing nothing. Recording my heart rate has been a bit of an eye opener and I am trying to make sense of it and what it means for my running.

My resting HR is 51bpm which I guess is very good. At my age the usual formula of 207 minus (Age x 0.7) gives a max HR of 160 and I really should be exercising at this stage at less than 80% of that, so 128bpm should be the average.

I certainly feel better mentally about myself although not seeing any physical change yet.

John

Since my knees hurt when running, indor rowing has been my exercise de jour and in December I wanted to crack the hour straight row. Normally they're much shorter - some end up being 'efforts' sessions. The issue is purely down to pacing myself for the hour and over Christmas I did my first 1 hour row - (albeit quite slowly!) From there, I've built it up, similar to yourself, to row 100 miles a month (January was 150) and this is where I'm at now with the cardio:

...which I'm really happy with.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 23rd, 2023, 5:41 pm

ThanksTed thats a really interesting graph.

Do you mind if I ask your age.

John

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 23rd, 2023, 6:06 pm

Im 55 John.

Earlier graphs were much shallower at the start and I started at a higher stroke rate but with less power. I've since learned to slow things down and I can be stronger from the start.*

Yes, yes, I'm talking about ****ing.

The rowing however.... :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 24th, 2023, 12:10 pm

I did it!

5k in 29 mins and 53 secs!

I just felt the urge to go for it today after maintaining the slow and steady 5k runs over the last few weeks and it worked.

John

minimag

Postby minimag » July 24th, 2023, 11:28 pm

Well done RS, there is an adage that 80% of your running should be slow and easy, 20% at a 'racing' and hard pace. Doing a full out hard run once a week (say parkrun), and doing the rest easy is meant to be ideal training.

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » July 25th, 2023, 1:33 am

redsturgeon wrote:5k in 29 mins and 53 secs!
Well done!
I ran for the first time in many years a few weeks back. I had experienced persistent problems with my calves seizing up even after short distances so I had given up ever running again. I have recently changed my stretching routine and then I walked and "shuffled" - wouldn't call it a run - around an orienteering course which was a lot of fun. Now I am trying running - extremely slowly - on a treadmill to see how things go. Much slower than your pace. 20 minutes first time, then 21, 22 and 23. Increasing the pace 0.1kmh each time. Plenty of time between runs. About a run a week. Swimming and biking on other days. No calf pain so far! I am doing a lot of stretching afterwards and using a rubber ball on my calves. I feel so good for being able to run again, albeit very slowly. Yesterday I optimistically bought a pair of running shoes.

Pendrainllwyn

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 25th, 2023, 6:56 am

Pendrainllwyn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:5k in 29 mins and 53 secs!
Well done!
I ran for the first time in many years a few weeks back. I had experienced persistent problems with my calves seizing up even after short distances so I had given up ever running again. I have recently changed my stretching routine and then I walked and "shuffled" - wouldn't call it a run - around an orienteering course which was a lot of fun. Now I am trying running - extremely slowly - on a treadmill to see how things go. Much slower than your pace. 20 minutes first time, then 21, 22 and 23. Increasing the pace 0.1kmh each time. Plenty of time between runs. About a run a week. Swimming and biking on other days. No calf pain so far! I am doing a lot of stretching afterwards and using a rubber ball on my calves. I feel so good for being able to run again, albeit very slowly. Yesterday I optimistically bought a pair of running shoes.

Pendrainllwyn

Well done. I think my learning is as follows.

Start with something, no matter how little, just start.

Go more slowly than you think you can or want to.

If nothing starts to hurt then slowly increase.

If things feel sore then stop and rest.

Have confidence that you will improve.

Even if you don't improve then any moving at any speed for any amount of time is better than sitting on the sofa.

Good luck.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 25th, 2023, 7:37 pm

Meanwhile... I reckon I could walk for a full 10-15 minutes now. Easy does it. :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 22nd, 2023, 9:28 am

Update.

Still running. Not keeping any sort of score apart from trying to run 2 or 3 times a week about 5km.

Not tracking time or HR.

Having a sports massage every two weeks keeps things supple which is good.

Today though I realised a practical benefit. My car needed to go into my local garage, it's three miles away, I dropped the car off this morning at about 8.45 and was home around 9.15.

At my age I could have a bus pass and I noticed that the bus stop was outside the garage and passes my house. I don't have a bus pass though and I noted that no bus past me before I reached home.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 22nd, 2023, 9:43 am

redsturgeon wrote:Update.

Still running. Not keeping any sort of score apart from trying to run 2 or 3 times a week about 5km.

Not tracking time or HR.

Having a sports massage every two weeks keeps things supple which is good.

Today though I realised a practical benefit. My car needed to go into my local garage, it's three miles away, I dropped the car off this morning at about 8.45 and was home around 9.15.

At my age I could have a bus pass and I noticed that the bus stop was outside the garage and passes my house. I don't have a bus pass though and I noted that no bus past me before I reached home.

John

Should've gone to Specsavers :roll:

I know ... but there's no meds for a poor sense of humour :lol:

And I am genuinely pleased to note that you also have the same issue as I do - I always get my passed and past the wrong way round - yes I genuinely do - my good lady takes the smeg out of me for it :)

Keep running John. Due to the improvements from my new medication, which I've further to go, I've recently been able to start walking our dogs. Absolutely freakin brilliant. I cannot tell you or any Fool just how good it makes me feel.

Take care

AiY(D)
Buzzing this morning :)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 22nd, 2023, 9:47 am

Thanks for the update: Well done & keep it up.

...and not to hi-jack your thread (too much!) :D

From there, I've built it up, similar to yourself, to row 100 miles a month (161km)

January = 241km
February = 182.9km
March = 186km
April = 165.4km
May = 132.63km
June = 162.2km
July = 180.69km
August = 161.3km
September (so far) = 142.2km

The thing I like about rowing is that the colder weather coming in doesn't affect me. I don't mind walking in the cold...but sometimes it can be difficult to motivate yourself to get out there.

I tried cycling for a while. Now that really is horrendous in the wintertime.....although it can have its surprises...

https://youtu.be/-d_ZUCZiddc?si=nUskZJIsI8Owmm9P

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 22nd, 2023, 9:51 am

Tedx wrote:Thanks for the update: Well done & keep it up.

...and not to hi-jack your thread (too much!) :D

From there, I've built it up, similar to yourself, to row 100 miles a month (161km)

January = 241km
February = 182.9km
March = 186km
April = 165.4km
May = 132.63km
June = 162.2km
July = 180.69km
August = 161.3km
September (so far) = 142.2km

The thing I like about rowing is that the colder weather coming in doesn't affect me. I don't mind walking in the cold...but sometimes it can be difficult to motivate yourself to get out there.

I tried cycling for a while. Now that really is horrendous in the wintertime.....although it can have its surprises...

https://youtu.be/-d_ZUCZiddc?si=nUskZJIsI8Owmm9P

I hope you have your eyes set on being able to take me water skiing :lol:

AiY(D)

Pendrainllwyn
Lemon Slice

Postby Pendrainllwyn » September 23rd, 2023, 1:55 pm

A quick update from my July post. After 20 training runs I completed my first road race in 18 years today. A low key 5K. There were entrants of all ages, in the 12-13 and 80+ age categories. In my training runs I have continued to add a minute and 0.1 kmh each time and am up to 38 minutes. I now have my eyes set on a 10K in December. So wonderful to be able to run again. I have been stretching a lot and hopefully the legs will continue to hold up.

Pendrainllwyn

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 25th, 2023, 9:47 pm

Did a LOT of running during lockdown (Strava 100K/month for all of 2021!) and lost a lot of weight, but all that's lapsed since. I get quite bored of running even 5Ks now and have switched to doing stop/start running/walking intervals on gym treadmills. I quite like this because I can vary inclines and fix interval times/speeds I want to try, and always feels like a much better workout than plodding around the village.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”