Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Who'd be a Millennial?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Who'd be a Millennial?

Postby XFool » January 28th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this. It's a bit serious for a pub board, but I find Polite Discussions somewhat heavy going, and in any event I'm not necessarily inviting a discussion - I just thought it was a brilliant summary of where the USA is today (and much of it applies equally to the UK) and particularly the contrast between the life that we Baby Boomers have had and what the Millennials have.
Be warned, it's a very long read, but I found it quite engrossing (though I felt the suggested remedies were a bit feeble). Incidentally, I found the best way to read it was to scroll down using the mouse wheel.

I am 35 years old—the oldest millennial, the first millennial—and for a decade now, I’ve been waiting for adulthood to kick in. My rent consumes nearly half my income, I haven’t had a steady job since Pluto was a planet and my savings are dwindling faster than the ice caps the baby boomers melted."

I'm sorry, but I lost interest and sympathy at that point.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 29th, 2018, 1:11 am

The US system does seem harsh when described as in the OP's article.

Our British Millenials don't feel too well treated either: I loved this particular "chat" where a Millenial whinging about how tough and different it is, is greeted with less than sympathy by Alan Johnson and Michael Portillo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJc_Eahvqrc

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 13th, 2019, 3:56 pm

XFool wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:I wasn't sure where to post this. It's a bit serious for a pub board, but I find Polite Discussions somewhat heavy going, and in any event I'm not necessarily inviting a discussion - I just thought it was a brilliant summary of where the USA is today (and much of it applies equally to the UK) and particularly the contrast between the life that we Baby Boomers have had and what the Millennials have.
Be warned, it's a very long read, but I found it quite engrossing (though I felt the suggested remedies were a bit feeble). Incidentally, I found the best way to read it was to scroll down using the mouse wheel.

I am 35 years old—the oldest millennial, the first millennial—and for a decade now, I’ve been waiting for adulthood to kick in. My rent consumes nearly half my income, I haven’t had a steady job since Pluto was a planet and my savings are dwindling faster than the ice caps the baby boomers melted."

I'm sorry, but I lost interest and sympathy at that point.

Hah! I was returned to this post recently by one of those recommendation 'thingies'. I couldn't even remember the article, so I took another look at it. Yes, his approach in the first three paragraphs are a right turn-off, particularly for anyone who isn't a Millennial or who is a member of "The Olds". :roll:

Not only that, but the use of large and busy graphics was pretty un-encouraging as well. If you do persevere through all that you can get to some straightforward descriptive text (albeit still broken up by graphic interludes), it is indeed interesting. Obviously it is about the US experience but quite a lot must map to the situation and trends in the UK.

At one point he does mention Inflation as one of the triggers of social change - the transition that has occurred from the accepted normal of high inflation in the previous generation to the present new normal of low inflation in the time of the Millennials. How much is this behind many of the changes he writes of? Surely a certainty in relation to housing.

Rightly or wrongly, while reading it I also found myself wondering about... Brexit! Both in relation to the causes of the UK's referendum outcome, but also in relation to its possible future consequences. But as this is not Polite Discussions perhaps I should end there.

(Not sure how it fits on Health & Wellbeing)

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”