Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hansteen cash offer

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Hansteen cash offer

Postby 77ss » December 18th, 2019, 9:48 am

I was just about to top-up my holding, when this happens!

https://www.investegate.co.uk/hansteen- ... 21163022X/

A 10.3% premium to yesterdays closing price.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Re: Hansteen cash offer

Postby spiderbill » December 18th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Yep, me too - there goes another one.
Beginning to think someone is telling me to move to ITs ;-) I'll be down to an old-fashioned 15 share portfolio at this rate. Have lost RPC, KCOM, Laird, Greene King, and about to lose Charles Taylor, Inmarsat, and at least part of Galliford Try, and now this. Doris would be wondering where all her shares had gone!

Ah well, have done pretty well out of it with divis and returns of capital. Sorry to see it go. Looks like I'll be buying more Regional REIT unless anyone has any other good ideas.

Spiderbill

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 18th, 2019, 2:55 pm

77ss wrote:I was just about to top-up my holding, when this happens!

Thanks for posting that. As Spiderbill says, what to do with the proceeds? And eventually (when?) some cash from Inmarsat too. I have been moving in the IT direction anyway so probably more there.

RC

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » December 18th, 2019, 4:50 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

Thanks for posting that. As Spiderbill says, what to do with the proceeds? And eventually (when?) some cash from Inmarsat too. I have been moving in the IT direction anyway so probably more there.

RC

Well, I've had my eye on Primary Health Properties for a bit, but with 40 holdings have been reluctant to increase the number. 'One in, one out' is currently my attitude. Maybe the decision has been made for me?

As for moving in the IT direction - so have I, but not religiously. I doubt that I shall wait for the deal to be consumated in the hope of a bidding war.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » December 20th, 2019, 9:13 am

A recent purchase and a recent sell ie this morning. What to do now?

It appears that the purchasers had been planning this and executed as soon as the election result became clear. Probably explains the tick up in UK REITs now that we have some sort of business certainty.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 20th, 2019, 9:39 am

77ss wrote:Well, I've had my eye on Primary Health Properties for a bit, but with 40 holdings have been reluctant to increase the number. 'One in, one out' is currently my attitude. Maybe the decision has been made for me?

With 40 holdings you hardly need to increase them I would have though but I hold PHP. It has done fine for me, modest increases in both capital and dividend over some years. Suits me. Just sits there and ticks away in a positive fashion.

Dod

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 21st, 2019, 6:13 pm

I know how you feel. I try to aim for an asset allocation and diversification that will allow me to forget all about it. About four years ago, my Japanese property (JRIC) was taken over, which really annoyed me, since it was throwing out enormous divis like nobody's business, and I still haven't found something to take its place, apart from an old ishare ETF (IASP) that I've held for yonks, but I don't think includes Japan.
I'll probably use the funds to top up a few continental-targeted holdings, such as GWI (Poland & Romania), SERE (mainly France, Germany I think) and TRY (boring but seems safe).

Steve

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » December 22nd, 2019, 10:09 am

stevensfo wrote:

I know how you feel. I try to aim for an asset allocation and diversification that will allow me to forget all about it. About four years ago, my Japanese property (JRIC) was taken over, which really annoyed me, since it was throwing out enormous divis like nobody's business, and I still haven't found something to take its place, apart from an old ishare ETF (IASP) that I've held for yonks, but I don't think includes Japan.
I'll probably use the funds to top up a few continental-targeted holdings, such as GWI (Poland & Romania), SERE (mainly France, Germany I think) and TRY (boring but seems safe).

Steve

On reflection, I am not actually disappointed. I had a full holding in HSTN, but following their tender offer and 35p return of capital this had fallen to a 50% holding, so I had been thinking for a bit that I should either double or quit. I had just take the decision to double, but fortunately had a plan B and the proceeds (together with some other funds) have gone into a 75% holding of PHP. Now crossing my fingers. Hansteen has done fairly well for me, with a 5.5 yr. XIRR of nearly 13%.

You mention TRY. My second largest holding, after FCIT, and I don't intend to top-slice any time soon. I like to have a few 'boring' holdings! Last time I looked it was abut 14% in logistics, so allied to my holding of Segro that puts me at about 3.25% in this sector, which seems to be a good place to be.

Return to “REITs & Property Companies”