Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Need to get back in, it's all changed

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
thirty06

Need to get back in, it's all changed

Postby thirty06 » March 15th, 2020, 10:59 am

I used to have a HYP. Life went wring and i had to go a few years with an income lower then outgoings.

All I have left are my Invesco funds (not doing so well) and a SIPP with AJ bell which is not too great.

I used to track my portfolio on a tool that was great for looking up bonds and shares. I can't even remember the name of it. I thought it might be Trustnet, but they seem not to have heard of me.

Anyway:

I had some basic funds that seemed to do little more than track and shares.

From memory, I had

RDSB, GSKI, DGE, BATS, LLOY (Yeah, I know), and some others.

I used to use an online service that was popular on The Fool until they got taken over and rebranded several times and then upped their charges.I uninvested with the intention of putting some back in, but life got in the way and I squandered it on luxuries like potatoes and shoes (if things get better, I shall buy another shoe and no longer have to hop everywhere.

Anyway, I remained solvent and now have a slight surplus every month. I'm just about up to the minimum three month's income in the bank level.

Like the title says, it's all changed. What's a good site for looking up fund/share prices and performance. Who is decent for investing through for LTBH ? Is there anything else I should know ?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Need to get back in, it's all changed

Postby tjh290633 » March 15th, 2020, 11:12 am

thirty06 wrote:What's a good site for looking up fund/share prices and performance. Who is decent for investing through for LTBH ? Is there anything else I should know ?

What's a good site? ADVFN is live prices, but delayed indices. If you use the app it logs you out when your time is up, but the prices remain visible. Bloomberg is another but is static until you move to another page on their app. I use both those for share prices, and my ISA provider has prices, of course, again, delayed and static.

For funds you are stuck with the time that they do their daily update. Trustnet or ii both seem reasonable to me. Sometimes prices have been updated by 5pm, sometimes they are a lot later. You can also use the fund manager's website, to see if they have their daily prices updated.

If you already have an account and it is a low cost online broker, then use them. If they are expensive to use, move elsewhere. The Halifax Sharedealing account and its rebadged variants like Lloyds and iweb seem to be popular. Hargreaves Lansdown can be expensive. Check the charges of those you fancy.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 15th, 2020, 11:52 am

thirty06 wrote:I

Like the title says, it's all changed. What's a good site for looking up fund/share prices and performance. Who is decent for investing through for LTBH ? Is there anything else I should know ?

I would have a look at dividend data (which I think is a very good source of info) and is easy to navigate.

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... &order=#AV.

thirty06

Postby thirty06 » March 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm

monabri wrote:
thirty06 wrote:I

I would have a look at dividend data (which I think is a very good source of info) and is easy to navigate.

Thanks. I like to look at dividend history.

(Had to edit out the link ?)

thirty06

Postby thirty06 » March 15th, 2020, 12:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
thirty06 wrote:What's a good site for looking up fund/share prices and performance. Who is decent for investing through for LTBH ? Is there anything else I should know ?

What's a good site? ADVFN is live prices, but delayed indices. If you use the app it logs you out when your time is up, but the prices remain visible. Bloomberg is another but is static until you move to another page on their app. I use both those for share prices, and my ISA provider has prices, of course, again, delayed and static.

For funds you are stuck with the time that they do their daily update. Trustnet or ii both seem reasonable to me. Sometimes prices have been updated by 5pm, sometimes they are a lot later. You can also use the fund manager's website, to see if they have their daily prices updated.

If you already have an account and it is a low cost online broker, then use them. If they are expensive to use, move elsewhere. The Halifax Sharedealing account and its rebadged variants like Lloyds and iweb seem to be popular. Hargreaves Lansdown can be expensive. Check the charges of those you fancy.

TJH

Ah ADVFN! It's coming back to me.

Live prices aren't that big a deal to me. Daily is fine. I was with Selftrade (and whatever they were before), but frankly they became a pain to deal with. My 'strategy' is to bung in a grand when I can and try no to think about it.

I'm starting to recall thatI had UU. Are they still worthwhile ?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 15th, 2020, 8:26 pm

monabri wrote:I would have a look at dividend data (which I think is a very good source of info) and is easy to navigate.

https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... &order=#AV.

Are you sure? Nowadays, even simply using www.dividenddata.co.uk I just get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 15th, 2020, 8:47 pm

XFool wrote:
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I'd ask the guys on the Lemon Fool "Computers, TV & Phone" board . They will probably have a solution.

JuanDB
2 Lemon pips

Postby JuanDB » March 15th, 2020, 9:32 pm

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2020, 11:52 am

JuanDB wrote:https://dividenddata.co.uk should do it

Yes. It does exactly the same as my post above.

Assuming others are still able to access this site I will have to inquire further.

Thanks.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 16th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Return to “How Do I Invest”