Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Can someone tell me which fund?

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Trebor123

Can someone tell me which fund?

Postby Trebor123 » March 16th, 2020, 6:03 am

Hi, I've been out of the market for the past 10 years, mainly been in property but with the market tanking as it is, i was thinking bout time to jump back in again.
I don't really have the time or inclination to research my own portfolio of shares so a fund would be a better option for me...my question is which fund? There's thousands out there!
i'm not too concerned about volatility, i'm looking for one that will capitalise on the rebound when i does happen. Do i choose a go global fund? I'm a £stirling investor. Small caps or large companies? Not looking for yield but capital appreciation. Fees and charges are obviously a concern, i want value for money like everyone else.
Any recommendations, insights, pointers, gratefully received
Cheers :)

colin
Lemon Slice

Re: Can someone tell me which fund?

Postby colin » March 16th, 2020, 8:56 am

With a question like that you will get as many fund sugestions as there are funds.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 16th, 2020, 9:02 am

Hi Trebor,
and welcome.

Simple answer. Look at Vanguard funds held by iWeb or Halifax who have no holding charges. Preferably using your (and spouse's) ISA if you can (you'll benefit eventually).

Here at the Fool we are not a fan of managed funds because of their high charges. An FT investigation found 75% failed to beat the market over just 5 years. So we prefer low cost tracker funds.
e.g.
VWRL - Global index tracker
VIUK - FTSE100
Various combinations of USA/Europe/Asia...
They also offer Lifestyle funds which mix equities and bonds. But that doesn't sound what you need.

So you still need to pick a geographic region. But hopefully that will narrow your search considerably.

Gryff
Last edited by gryffron on March 16th, 2020, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trebor123

Postby Trebor123 » March 16th, 2020, 9:03 am

...so how would anyone find out which fund(s) would be best suited?

Trebor123

Postby Trebor123 » March 16th, 2020, 9:11 am

Thanks Gryff
As a £Stirling investor would i not be exposing myself to currency risk if i was investing in a fund that held foreign shares? i was thinking of FTSE shares only but of course i would then be missing out in other opportunities and also increasing risk....what's your take on that?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Trebor

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 16th, 2020, 9:14 am

Usually, people form their own opinion of where in world will perform best. Or of small companies, large companies, high yield etc.

You can look at history. Those which have fallen the most are likely to regrow the most - or go bust!

If you really have no opinions then the UK FTSE tracker (VIUK) is cheapest, and likely most linked to your living costs in UK sterling. Certainly a good place to start investing. Or the global tracker is a good average of everything in the whole world.

Added:
Trebor123 wrote:As a £Stirling investor would i not be exposing myself to currency risk if i was investing in a fund that held foreign shares?

Yes, you would. Although most large companies are so international these days that where they are listed doesn't really relate to their business. The FTSE100 is 75% foreign earnings. So effectively, you are getting foreign market/currency exposure even buying a FTSE tracker.

Gryff

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » March 16th, 2020, 10:16 am

Most bear markets have lasted many months before they start recovering, which then takes years more to get back to the old peak.
You've got plenty of time to borrow Tim Hale's Smarter Investing from your library to get a sensible answer that is well argued and widely respected, right down to almost the last level of detail (fund name).

Trebor123

Postby Trebor123 » March 17th, 2020, 8:37 am

Thanks for all the replies...very interesting times! ;)

DanielBaksley

Postby DanielBaksley » April 21st, 2020, 12:40 pm

I wonder do you consider only funds? Or there are also other ways of passive investment that you would like to consider?

Moderator Message:
DELETED, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 21st, 2020, 3:29 pm

DanielBaksley wrote:I wonder do you consider only funds? Or there are also other ways of passive investment that you would like to consider?

Moderator Message:
DB, I have just deleted some stuff in a post below from you. May I remind you that nothing which could be construed or misconstrued as advertising is permitted here. At all. regards, dspp

Return to “How Do I Invest”