Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Wealth Managers

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
langdale

Wealth Managers

Postby langdale » October 19th, 2020, 11:52 am

I'm coming to conclusion I can't over time look after my own investments and will have to hire someone.

Wealth managers Brewin Dolphin and Brown Shipley have a portfolio minimum size that excludes me. Charles Stanley min amount is okay, they charge 1.33% for discretionary investment management. But I keep reading not to use a wealth manager as fees too high. A local IFA charges 1% and invest in some sort of generic ready-made portfolio from Brewin Dolphin not individually tailored.

Some might think why not choose trackers myself but they don't seem to do as well as active. In the past when I chose active funds they always did much better than the index. Also what's in the tracker - is it overweight tech stocks and other issues like that.

What companies are there who would look after my investments for me?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Wealth Managers

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 19th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Some might think why not choose trackers myself but they don't seem to do as well as active. Much evidence points to the opposite outcome

In the past when I chose active funds they always did much better than the index. Luck, or selective memory. Majority of active funds don't beat the index

Also what's in the tracker - is it overweight tech stocks and other issues like that. The market

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 19th, 2020, 1:53 pm

The answer which suggests itself, is that if you cannot manage your own investments, then choose investments that you do not have to manage. Do not pay to have them managed.

The obvious solution is to choose a small number of investment trusts and let them get on with it. The alternative of using trackers rules out any outperformance by their very nature. Then the question becomes how many ITs, which ITs and what do you do with dividends?

3 might be enough, say FCIT, CTY and a REIT.

That's my view, anyway.

TJH

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » October 19th, 2020, 2:46 pm

How many investments do you have and how many accounts and investment platforms? The simplest way is to consolidate.

My largest holding is Fidelity Index World class P. My portfolio overall gives a weighted average return which is approx same as this, and I've often thought, why bother with a portfolio and just invest in one or two world trackers. It's a hobby for me now, but may do this in future.

LooseCannon101
Lemon Slice

Postby LooseCannon101 » October 19th, 2020, 8:52 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The answer which suggests itself, is that if you cannot manage your own investments, then choose investments that you do not have to manage. Do not pay to have them managed.

The obvious solution is to choose a small number of investment trusts and let them get on with it. The alternative of using trackers rules out any outperformance by their very nature. Then the question becomes how many ITs, which ITs and what do you do with dividends?

That's my view, anyway.

TJH

I agree with TJH290633. A simple investing strategy works wonders. 90% in a world equity tracker e.g. index fund or global investment trust e.g. FCIT, and the rest in cash, should beat most wealth managers hands down. The latter take a surprisingly large proportion of one's life savings over 10+ years. By the way, I practice what I preach using FCIT and it's excellent saving scheme.

Joe45
Lemon Pip

Postby Joe45 » October 20th, 2020, 7:53 pm

LooseCannon101 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:The answer which suggests itself, is that if you cannot manage your own investments, then choose investments that you do not have to manage. Do not pay to have them managed.

That's my view, anyway.

TJH

I agree with TJH290633. A simple investing strategy works wonders. 90% in a world equity tracker e.g. index fund or global investment trust e.g. FCIT, and the rest in cash, should beat most wealth managers hands down. The latter take a surprisingly large proportion of one's life savings over 10+ years. By the way, I practice what I preach using FCIT and it's excellent saving scheme.

Agree with both of these. Vanguard LifeStrategy with the risk profile to suit your tolerance. Nothing more to do.

Joe45
Lemon Pip

Postby Joe45 » October 20th, 2020, 7:54 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Some might think why not choose trackers myself but they don't seem to do as well as active. Much evidence points to the opposite outcome

In the past when I chose active funds they always did much better than the index. Luck, or selective memory. Majority of active funds don't beat the index

Also what's in the tracker - is it overweight tech stocks and other issues like that. The market

Oops! Should have quoted this one! Agree 100%

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » October 21st, 2020, 7:19 am

I guess it lives if here we're considering handing over choosing a fund manager to someone else.
A recent report from the Swiss Finance Institute, the national centre for finance research:
"We study how plan sponsors choose investment management firms from their opportunity set when delegating $1.6 trillion in assets between 2002 and 2017. Two factors play an influential role in choice: pre-hiring returns, and pre-existing personal connections between personnel at the plan (or consultant advising the plan), and the investment management firm. Post-hiring returns for chosen firms are significantly lower than those for unchosen firms..... "
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3651476 Full text is available.
Picking winners in the world of investing isn't easy, which makes accepting market returns attractive.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 21st, 2020, 8:30 am

The main purpose of wealth managers is increasing their own wealth. Better to accept market returns than have the certainty of your wealth being salami sliced in fees every year and run the risk of your active manager turning out to be a Neil Woodford.

langdale

Postby langdale » October 21st, 2020, 8:20 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, now encouraged to carry on myself.
Due to various health problems it's difficult to keep an eye on investments even though it doesn't take long.
Will keep it simple instead of thinking too much,
many thanks for the suggestions for ITs and trackers.

Return to “How Do I Invest”