Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stock picking resources

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
NotSoSupernova

Stock picking resources

Postby NotSoSupernova » May 17th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Hi Lemons,

I've not long come across your forum but I've become a great admirer in the short time I've been aware of it. I thought this seemed an appropriate place to say hello and ask an introductory question.

I've recently become a fan of an American based stock picking podcast. I listen to it for entertainment ultimately. While I don't mind going over fundamentals, I've found that a few of their picks have made the criteria to be included in my portfolio. It feels a little like cheating to be honest but I imagine that I'm just oblivious to some of the resources that make people aware of interesting stocks.

Are there any good and/or recommend examples of this that you would advise checking out?

(Apologies if this has been asked already, I did use the search function before posting)

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Stock picking resources

Postby SalvorHardin » May 18th, 2020, 12:16 am

There's nothing wrong with getting ideas from all sorts of places. I've made some of my best investments where I've heard about the company when I wasn't looking for an investment.

Such as an interesting company mentioned in a non-investment article. Or when seeing a film in the cinema (Marvel, after Spider-Man). Or that you like their products (that is very Peter Lynch; invest in what you know).

For America companies, have a look at Seeking Alpha and Marketwatch.

https://seekingalpha.com/

https://www.marketwatch.com/

Good luck!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 18th, 2020, 9:47 am

I think that it depends on what you are looking for. My personal objective is (relatively) high and growing dividends. Others may look for shares that have unrealised value in them, or are ripe for recovery. Others aim for consistent capital growth.

Comments in newspapers, magazines, online commentaries and forums like this are all potential sources, but you still have to do your own research. That involves company reports, RNS posts, and what others are saying. Often a stray comment may mention a share which you have not thought about, or even heard of.

Never lose sight of the need to diversify and to avoid having all your eggs in one basket.

TJH

NotSoSupernova

Postby NotSoSupernova » May 18th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Thanks for those tips, I'll be sure to check them out. I'm an index investor by nature (spread between the UK, US and global) and only like to sprinkle my portfolio with a bit of excitement if it ticks all the boxes. I'm probably a little overcautious given my age but I'm a sucker for the numbers that back up compounding.

I'll see you around

Alistair31

Postby Alistair31 » May 20th, 2020, 9:43 am

NotSoSupernova wrote:I've recently become a fan of an American based stock picking podcast.

Which one?

NotSoSupernova

Postby NotSoSupernova » May 20th, 2020, 9:55 am

Alistair31 wrote:
NotSoSupernova wrote:I've recently become a fan of an American based stock picking podcast.

Which one?

It's called Marathon Money. I'll warn you, they're not the most professional pair but I often find their take on things quite funny. Entertainment only.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » May 20th, 2020, 10:13 am

NotSoSupernova wrote:I've recently become a fan of an American based stock picking podcast. I listen to it for entertainment ultimately.

You don't say if you intend investing in the US or UK. I listen to a range of podcasts for entertainment from Planet Money (US) and Econtalk* (US sort of) to MoneyBox (UK BBC).

If you are interested in UK stocks then the Investors Chronicle podcast is worth listening to. Shares mag also do one (money and markets), but it's a bit light weight. Then there is the FT's (Money show) podcast. That is more general finance stuff than stock picking, but worth a listen. Of course both the IC and FT encourage you to take their paid content, but they are still worth listening to in my opinion. I confess that I do subscribe to the IC and find it a informative read.

*Econtalk does not intend to be US biased, but it's slightly unavoidable. I still don't understand when the host starts talking baseball, but I do enjoy his eclectic subject matter.

NotSoSupernova

Postby NotSoSupernova » May 20th, 2020, 10:37 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
NotSoSupernova wrote:I've recently become a fan of an American based stock picking podcast. I listen to it for entertainment ultimately.

You don't say if you intend investing in the US or UK. I listen to a range of podcasts for entertainment from Planet Money (US) and Econtalk* (US sort of) to MoneyBox (UK BBC).

If you are interested in UK stocks then the Investors Chronicle podcast is worth listening to. Shares mag also do one (money and markets), but it's a bit light weight. Then there is the FT's (Money show) podcast. That is more general finance stuff than stock picking, but worth a listen. Of course both the IC and FT encourage you to take their paid content, but they are still worth listening to in my opinion. I confess that I do subscribe to the IC and find it a informative read.

*Econtalk does not intend to be US biased, but it's slightly unavoidable. I still don't understand when the host starts talking baseball, but I do enjoy his eclectic subject matter.

I'll definitely take a look at those, thanks.

I prefer UK based investments, especially when talking about anything long term. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't drawn to the US market for the sheer size of it (and opportunity?).

I've not really settled on a portfolio style yet truth be told, so I've got a mix of everything as I sit here. It's something I've been looking into refining more recently actually.

Return to “How Do I Invest”