Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Defensive funds

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Defensive funds

Postby Adamski » September 20th, 2020, 8:24 am

I've banked a chunk of my riskier investments. On the basis that the US, Tech rally is over-extended. Thinking of investing the proceeds in CGT.

Anyone else in defensive mode, and which is your safe haven investment of choice currently? Cheers

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Re: Defensive funds

Postby Aminatidi » September 20th, 2020, 12:07 pm

I have about 85% of £210K spread between Capital Gearing Trust and Personal Assets Trust.

The other classic "defensive" is Ruffer but whilst their long term record is still reasonable they don't seem to have had a good few years compared to the others.

I tend to think of both CGT and PNL more these days as "balanced" v "defensive".

Perhaps that's just semantics though.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » September 20th, 2020, 4:56 pm

@Aminatidi, a sensible approach, similar to what I'm planning to adopt myself, short term. Won't get stella returns, but will do well if another correction is coming. Which is what I personally believe is likely. Will look at PNL as well.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 20th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Adamski wrote:I've banked a chunk of my riskier investments. On the basis that the US, Tech rally is over-extended. Thinking of investing the proceeds in CGT.

Anyone else in defensive mode, and which is your safe haven investment of choice currently? Cheers

Of the three trusts mentioned, I tend to favour PNL (Personal Assets). It's performance has been more consistent compared to its peers. It added a few more growthier equities in the falls early this year, e.g. Alphabet. It still holds Nestle, US TIPS, and some gold, and just about pays a dividend (quarterly) at 1.24% for those that want to see dividends.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » September 20th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Adamski wrote:@Aminatidi, a sensible approach, similar to what I'm planning to adopt myself, short term. Won't get stella returns, but will do well if another correction is coming. Which is what I personally believe is likely. Will look at PNL as well.

I took a reasonably simple view which is that broadly speaking CGT seems to have a bit of a "value" play to it (not necessarily investing in "value" but the fund managers looking for opportunities that might be good value).

PNL is as mentioned basically Fundsmith plus gold and cash and TIPS.

50/50 between each and I figure I'm covered to a point I sleep well with.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 20th, 2020, 6:05 pm

richfool wrote:Of the three trusts mentioned, I tend to favour PNL (Personal Assets). It's performance has been more consistent compared to its peers.

Uh?

http://mediacharting.digitallook.com/cg ... dicator_3=

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 20th, 2020, 8:35 pm

mc2fool wrote:
richfool wrote:Of the three trusts mentioned, I tend to favour PNL (Personal Assets). It's performance has been more consistent compared to its peers.

Uh?

At the various points in time I've checked, including earlier this year, PNL was generally the better performer, depending over what period one was actually comparing. Though there was often little to choose between PNL and CGT. (Ruffer had been best over the last 1 year, but otherwise not as consistent).

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth_manager/i ... Period:36;

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 20th, 2020, 9:03 pm

richfool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Uh?

At the various points in time I've checked, including earlier this year, PNL was generally the better performer, depending over what period one was actually comparing. Though there was often little to choose between PNL and CGT. (Ruffer had been best over the last 1 year, but otherwise not as consistent).

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth_manager/i ... Period:36;

Well that link shows CGT as the better performer over all periods shown (up to 10yrs) except for 1yr, although, yes, there's not a lot in it for any period, and I think my chart link also shows that, once the GFC is cleared.

The longer term is another story. :D

I don't hold PNL but some that do seem to have been not so happy. See Personal Assets v Capital Gearing v RICA? (long thread). I'm happy with my CGT holding, and less so with RICA....

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 20th, 2020, 9:25 pm

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 20th, 2020, 10:16 pm

mc2fool wrote:P.S. Also viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18099

I'm sure you know, as well as I, that one will get different results according to what date you search back from. Next month may be different to last month and they vary frequently. Indeed, as I said previously, I checked earlier in the year, and at that time felt that PNL were more consistent and so I bought some PNL.

Return to “How Do I Invest”