Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Primary bid

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Primary bid

Postby gnawsome » November 18th, 2020, 3:50 pm

I wonder if other Fools have registered and if they have subscribed to offers. Does the practice follow the theory.
Of course this is a volatile period to be asking but I try to think a bit ahead of actually opening my purse.
A negative that I notice is that purchases cannot be made via ISA funds, only via a broker calling money from a linked account.
Comments welcome

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Primary bid

Postby Dod101 » November 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Most of us these days tend to hold our shares in a broker nominee account whether in an ISA, a SIPP or a Trading Account. I think I am right in saying that for each of these accounts, any attempt to register with primary Bid requires the co operation of the broker. I still hold a few shares in certificated form and there it ought to work fine. I have had no experience with them though .

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 19th, 2020, 2:16 pm

gnawsome wrote:I wonder if other Fools have registered and if they have subscribed to offers. Does the practice follow the theory. ...

If you can catch Simoan's eye, which I'll attempt below by quoting his username, I know from here viewtopic.php?p=317986#p317986 that he for one has. Others have but I haven't bothered to seek out their usernames.

simoan wrote:

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 19th, 2020, 2:17 pm

I have registered with them, but have not yet actually bid.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 19th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Did someone call? :)

I can confirm that I have used Primary Bid twice, as noted previously I took some shares in the Air Partner placing. I also took a chunk of the Hipgnosis Songs C Share placing although I've now offloaded them and have topped up the main Hipgnosis fund inside my SIPP in their place. Rumour has it that a phone call to HL will allow you to take up Primary Bid offers inside your HL accounts, but I've not tried that yet. I have noticed some very high quality offers more recently and was tempted by the Volvere offer and only just this week the Croda International placing.

Primary Bid are clearly getting their claws into some very interesting placings now, and their presence in the market for allowing private investors access to what would historically only be offered to institutions is growing. That can only be a very positive thing for the likes of us. Anyway, thanks for reminding me that I need to follow this matter up with HL.

All the best, SI

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 19th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I have emailed to Interactive Investors about this but they do not support primary Bid, unlike HL it would seem.

Dod

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » November 19th, 2020, 3:24 pm

simoan wrote:Did someone call? :)

I can confirm that I have used Primary Bid twice, as noted previously I took some shares in the Air Partner placing. I also took a chunk of the Hipgnosis Songs C Share placing although I've now offloaded them and have topped up the main Hipgnosis fund inside my SIPP in their place. Rumour has it that a phone call to HL will allow you to take up Primary Bid offers inside your HL accounts, but I've not tried that yet. I have noticed some very high quality offers more recently and was tempted by the Volvere offer and only just this week the Croda International placing.

Primary Bid are clearly getting their claws into some very interesting placings now, and their presence in the market for allowing private investors access to what would historically only be offered to institutions is growing. That can only be a very positive thing for the likes of us. Anyway, thanks for reminding me that I need to follow this matter up with HL.

All the best, SI

That is very helpful.
I've only recently registered so was not aware of their earlier offerings. I am looking to open my purse and tempted by this sort of opportunity - might test the waters with nibble at CRODA tho' I must admit SOHO was more to my taste. It doesn't seem to have gained much with the general uplift in the market.
I will be keeping an eye open if you should be making any comment on Primary Bid offerings
Thanks

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 19th, 2020, 4:15 pm

gnawsome wrote:
simoan wrote:Did someone call? :)

All the best, SI

That is very helpful.
I've only recently registered so was not aware of their earlier offerings. I am looking to open my purse and tempted by this sort of opportunity - might test the waters with nibble at CRODA tho' I must admit SOHO was more to my taste. It doesn't seem to have gained much with the general uplift in the market.
I will be keeping an eye open if you should be making any comment on Primary Bid offerings
Thanks

It's worth noting that you may need to be quick off the mark with some smaller placings in popular companies because the amount of stock available to retail investors is normally limited. In those circumstances I believe Primary Bid works on a first come, first served basis, but I wold need to check. One of my concerns with HL is that the process of using an intermediary may delay the Primary bid process meaning you could miss out on the offer. The offers can also be announced at all times of day outside of market hours. Some are announced first thing at 7am, others after the market closes; IIRC I even got one notification very late at night.

All the best, Si

Return to “How Do I Invest”