Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investment tuition for a 20 something

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
airbus330
Lemon Slice

Investment tuition for a 20 something

Postby airbus330 » February 26th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Hi all.
my 25 year old daughter took me by surprise a few days ago and asked me if, and how, she should be investing money for the future. She has some cash in the bank and has a reasonably generous DC company pension, but has no clue what it all means when she looks at the component parts of the pension. It soon became clear that if she listened to me explain it, she'd be put off for life. So, I looked around for a YouTube video, preferably presented by a woman, which might take things from the very beginning. And failed, there are millions on there, but sorting the good from the bad is a weeks work.
So I wondered if anyone might have come across a video that explains the basics of investing or maybe a series of them.
Thanks for any suggestions.

PS, or should I tell her to just shove £100 a month in a Vanguard World Tracker and leave it at that?

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: Investment tuition for a 20 something

Postby TUK020 » February 26th, 2021, 5:42 pm

airbus330 wrote:Hi all.
my 25 year old daughter took me by surprise a few days ago and asked me if, and how, she should be investing money for the future. She has some cash in the bank and has a reasonably generous DC company pension, but has no clue what it all means when she looks at the component parts of the pension. It soon became clear that if she listened to me explain it, she'd be put off for life. So, I looked around for a YouTube video, preferably presented by a woman, which might take things from the very beginning. And failed, there are millions on there, but sorting the good from the bad is a weeks work.
So I wondered if anyone might have come across a video that explains the basics of investing or maybe a series of them.

PS, or should I tell her to just shove £100 a month in a Vanguard World Tracker and leave it at that?

take a good look at the Monevator website, and see if it is worth suggesting that she read the "essential reading" tab

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 26th, 2021, 5:43 pm

airbus330 wrote:Hi all.

Standard Life Small Companies Fund or something similar (compound 30%(ish) pa over last 10 years) - will be volatile but she's young enough to survive the bigger rollercoaster ride and move into something less volatile later in life.

AiY

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 26th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Take a look at the Pensioncraft videos...Mr Nakisa's videos are typically 15 to 20 min duration.

https://pensioncraft.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=pension ... =1.75#ip=1

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 26th, 2021, 6:26 pm

Lars Kroijer (author, ex fund manager, occasional Monevator columnist) did some videos;
https://www.kroijer.com/
-he's very much on the passive side, so probably not popular with the IT nuts, active management activists and bond bullies that frequent these parts :)

(he's not a woman though..)

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. All ideas have merit. I'm actually a subscriber to Ramin and Pensioncraft as he makes the hard stuff easy to comprehend. He (and the Monevator) sites are excellent resources, but they assume a level of knowledge. I have found an interesting series of articles on Monevator Investing for Beginners which fits the bill for info, but is almost cast iron guaranteed to send Gen X to sleep, but I might try it on her. I was hoping to find something that wasn't, to coin the delightful phrase of the moment, 'white,male and stale'. :roll:

Smaller Co's tracker could be a wild 30 year ride!

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » February 26th, 2021, 7:36 pm

airbus330 wrote:PS, or should I tell her to just shove £100 a month in a Vanguard World Tracker and leave it at that?

i suggest you get her to do this now. then at least if she has no desire to do something more adventurous she's in a good default option. if she likes this stuff and want to she can switch things up when/if she's ready. much better than doing lots of learning and never doing anything at all.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 26th, 2021, 7:40 pm

airbus330 wrote:... I was hoping to find something that wasn't, to coin the delightful phrase of the moment, 'white,male and stale'. :roll:

It's 'Pale, Male, and Stale' - which manages to be racist, sexist, and ageist in four words. Quite an achievement! :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 26th, 2021, 7:44 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
airbus330 wrote:... I was hoping to find something that wasn't, to coin the delightful phrase of the moment, 'white,male and stale'. :roll:

It's 'Pale, Male, and Stale' - which manages to be racist, sexist, and ageist in four words. Quite an achievement! :)

Or PSMs for short. The M comes last as it is the noun. The concept has been around for a while:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... exit-trump

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 26th, 2021, 8:11 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... er-problem

Also from the Grauniad, that well know cesspit of wokeness :)
Pale, male and stale: does modern classical have a gender problem?
Male is an adjective in this context.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 26th, 2021, 11:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

Sorry for the misquote, and whilst I largely agree with you, I will happily hold your coat if you want to take up cudgels over this with the WOKE members of my family. Jolly best of British (if that isn't too Imperialist a statement these days) :D

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 26th, 2021, 11:22 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:
airbus330 wrote:PS, or should I tell her to just shove £100 a month in a Vanguard World Tracker and leave it at that?

i suggest you get her to do this now. then at least if she has no desire to do something more adventurous she's in a good default option. if she likes this stuff and want to she can switch things up when/if she's ready. much better than doing lots of learning and never doing anything at all.

This was my instinctive reaction too. But I would want her (and any young person) to find personal finance accessible enough to at least avoid some of the obvious traps for the unwary.. IFA fee's for instance.
I have sent the Monevator Beginners Guides to her in order and will see if that works, but having spent a year in lockdown with 2 twenty somethings they seem to digest information more readily from videos, then go to books to back it up after.
Anyway, a Global Tracker will do if all else fails.
Cheers

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 27th, 2021, 2:46 am

airbus330 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:

Sorry for the misquote, and whilst I largely agree with you, I will happily hold your coat if you want to take up cudgels over this with the WOKE members of my family. Jolly best of British (if that isn't too Imperialist a statement these days) :D

I'm all for the quiet now...

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 27th, 2021, 7:41 am

I started investing some 30 years ago, so don't tend to watch "how to start" videos.

However I thought I'd research a few done by women.

This one seems quite approachable for a young person, and had nothing that I could disagree with. Though some may find the fact that Bitcoin is even mentioned in passing puts them off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMTYs7dUIU

One issue that I have noticed over the years is that there is a trade off between enthusiasm and usefulness. The more useful, the more boring it becomes. The more enthusiastic, the less real content.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » February 27th, 2021, 7:43 am

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » February 27th, 2021, 9:31 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:

But "and" is very inclusive!

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 27th, 2021, 10:16 am

Urbandreamer wrote:I started investing some 30 years ago, so don't tend to watch "how to start" videos.

However I thought I'd research a few done by women.

This one seems quite approachable for a young person, and had nothing that I could disagree with. Though some may find the fact that Bitcoin is even mentioned in passing puts them off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMTYs7dUIU

One issue that I have noticed over the years is that there is a trade off between enthusiasm and usefulness. The more useful, the more boring it becomes. The more enthusiastic, the less real content.

Bullseye! That was exactly what I was looking for.

(For this Psm, it made me want to run screaming from the room after 2 mins, but I know the target audience will associate with the presenter.)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 27th, 2021, 11:27 am

Less "spot on" here is another.

I actually think that this lady has more useful content, but I don't think that she's the same generation as your daughter. So possibly less appealing.
She does have a "how to start investing" video, but this one deals with the basics that you need to do first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toI0etAQ9ks

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 27th, 2021, 11:52 am

nmdhqbc wrote:

I would be more concerned about that "reasonably generous DC company pension" and her "has no clue what it all means ..." before worrying about an additional £100 a month.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 27th, 2021, 12:19 pm

dealtn wrote:
nmdhqbc wrote:

I would be more concerned about that "reasonably generous DC company pension" and her "has no clue what it all means ..." before worrying about an additional £100 a month.

I think dealtn's comment should be the first port of call to explain the purpose of the £xx per month contribution. I "got lucky" with my pension scheme (a DB based on a civil service scheme with slight reductions in benefit) but I had no clue at the time - I didn't even think about it!

Return to “How Do I Invest”