Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investment tuition for a 20 something

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Degsy67
Lemon Pip

Re: Investment tuition for a 20 something

Postby Degsy67 » February 28th, 2021, 10:13 am

Check out Pete Matthew’s Meaningful Money YouTube channel and podcast. There are a few seasons which spring to mind which may be useful. The first is Millennial Money. Second is New Accumulators. Third is The Ultimate Guide to Investing. Worthwhile checking them out.

Degsy

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm

dealtn wrote:
nmdhqbc wrote:
airbus330 wrote:PS, or should I tell her to just shove £100 a month in a Vanguard World Tracker and leave it at that?

i suggest you get her to do this now. then at least if she has no desire to do something more adventurous she's in a good default option. if she likes this stuff and want to she can switch things up when/if she's ready. much better than doing lots of learning and never doing anything at all.

I would be more concerned about that "reasonably generous DC company pension" and her "has no clue what it all means ..." before worrying about an additional £100 a month.

Thanks, once again, for all the replies. I have a plan and will report on it in due course.

I think dealtn has a good point, but I see it going hand in hand with individual investing. Also, having seen a recent annual report from her pension provider, I would be surprised if most of the members don't just file it under too difficult. Honestly, pages of minutiae but very little about performance and options. Unusually, to me anyway, her pension is in about 15 different funds, and when I studied it looked very well diversified and had performed well. So, my purpose was to start with the basics before trying to explain her own pension.

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 5th, 2021, 3:37 pm

A bit late but..

If you have sensible middle class parents, you know so many more of 'the rules' than most already, likely without realising.
I didn't, and a couple of 'grafters' for parents whose garbage 'advise' I had absorbed far too much of did me no favours.
Ongoing engagement from the same and you have virtually won already.

I find 'The Compound' on YouTube really entertaining and not in the least dry.
It isn't 'The Ladybird Book of Finance' certainly, but I find it really engaging, which may be more useful.
They are somewhat sarcastic New York wealth managers that cover a lot of ground.
Mostly commentary but they lay out the basics periodically if you sift.

W.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » March 6th, 2021, 11:31 pm

Full marks to @urbandreamer for his YouTube suggestion. Was fully watched and commented positively upon. The YouTube presenters sex and ethnicity were both positively received without prompt from myself. It elicited several questions which were tidied away with the Monevator educational pieces. Thanks to all.

Return to “How Do I Invest”