Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Ruffer, bitcoin gain

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Ruffer, bitcoin gain

Postby Adamski » October 1st, 2021, 11:33 am

Thinking of adding a defensive holding. Noticed Ruffer outperformed CGT and PNL year to date. Is that solely down to their Bitcoin speculative gain, fortunate timing, earlier this year or are there other factors. Thanks

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: Ruffer, bitcoin gain

Postby CryptoPlankton » October 1st, 2021, 12:14 pm

Adamski wrote:Thinking of adding a defensive holding. Noticed Ruffer outperformed CGT and PNL year to date. Is that solely down to their Bitcoin speculative gain, fortunate timing, earlier this year or are there other factors. Thanks

If you look at the last 6 months, rather than YTD, it has underperformed (+ 0.7%) both CGT (+ 6.6%) and PNL (+ 7.4%). RICA sold their Bitcoin in early June, since when their price has gone down while the others have plodded upwards. Whether or not the crypto trading has been a major influence, personally I would look to the others (my choice would be CGT) for a truly defensive holding. Looking at RICA's long-term historical performance, it has been far more volatile.

Just my humble opinion, of course...

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » October 2nd, 2021, 2:34 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote: personally I would look to the others (my choice would be CGT) for a truly defensive holding. Looking at RICA's long-term historical performance, it has been far more volatile...

Thanks Crypto, was the info I needed, and agree CGT looks good, and held that before.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » October 2nd, 2021, 2:36 pm

Adamski wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote: personally I would look to the others (my choice would be CGT) for a truly defensive holding. Looking at RICA's long-term historical performance, it has been far more volatile...

Thanks Crypto, was the info I needed, and agree CGT looks good, and held that before.

Small point with RICA but look at the NAV v the share price.

I know share price is obviously what you buy or sell at but the NAV is less lumpy.

Return to “How Do I Invest”