Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Long Term Investing Book

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
robertbanking
Lemon Pip

Long Term Investing Book

Postby robertbanking » March 30th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Hello you nice and very intelligent people that make up this forum. I sincerely hope you are happy today.

I have been a long term investor for a few years and find myself reading alot about what it takes to pick a quality stock and a checklist for what i should be looking for. I am constantly trying to learn more about investing and want to better my knowledge. I kindly wondered please what books you may have read regarding long term investing and how to have success hopefully finding a multi bagger stock and to perform well over the long term? Further any book that is highly recommended or classed as the most enlightening in the industry please?

I would appreciate it greatly for any advice you can give. Thank you very much and i hope you continue to do very well with your investing.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Long Term Investing Book

Postby tjh290633 » March 30th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Have you looked at the first post in this forum, which lists a number of books that people have suggested?

I have to confess that I have never read such a book. Plenty of newspaper and magazine articles, of course. Also many posts on discussion boards like this. Long, long ago I remember reading interesting articles by Mr Bearbull and Academic Investor in the Investors Chronicle.

The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and profit from your experience. I made my first investment in 1958. Knowing what I do now, I would have followed a slightly different path, but fundamentally you need to start investing. How you do that is up to you. There is a great deal of choice.

TJH

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 30th, 2022, 2:05 pm

robertbanking wrote:Hello you nice and very intelligent people that make up this forum. I sincerely hope you are happy today.

I have been a long term investor for a few years and find myself reading alot about what it takes to pick a quality stock and a checklist for what i should be looking for. I am constantly trying to learn more about investing and want to better my knowledge. I kindly wondered please what books you may have read regarding long term investing and how to have success hopefully finding a multi bagger stock and to perform well over the long term? Further any book that is highly recommended or classed as the most enlightening in the industry please?

I would appreciate it greatly for any advice you can give. Thank you very much and i hope you continue to do very well with your investing.

I would read all you can about "biases", how to spot them, acknowledge them in your own thinking and behaviour, how to ignore them, and how others use them to misprice probabilities, and stock prices.

Even reading a little will give you an advantage over the average thinker.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 11th, 2022, 9:30 pm

dealtn wrote:
robertbanking wrote:Hello you nice and very intelligent people that make up this forum. I sincerely hope you are happy today.

I would read all you can about "biases", how to spot them, acknowledge them in your own thinking and behaviour, how to ignore them, and how others use them to misprice probabilities, and stock prices.

Even reading a little will give you an advantage over the average thinker.

Try "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli

Pastcaring
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pastcaring » January 1st, 2023, 5:16 am

Why do you need a book to explain compounding..Wealth is created by sitting on your hands,stops you from doing anything stupid,stops you from putting self delusional rubbish on here.Most importantly it means you can't interrupt compounding.

The long term result is WBC (ASX) over 205 years has turned $200 into $40 million approx.Compound growth of around 6.4% per annum on share price only,as long as you weren't diluted.You and previous generations collected dividends every year .My start date was 1982,1000 shares then cost $2500,they have compounded at around 11.5% by reinvesting dividends.Now worth around the $195K mark.

CBA ( ASX) cost $5.4 K for 1000 shares in 1991.The IPO was scaled back so buying on market cost you $6K,slightly less. That has been compounding at around 16.2% since then ( using the DRP) so they now have a value of approx $600 - $620K.

Spend $8.5K,do nothing and 40 years later they are worth say $800K.

Rich people invest in time,poor people invest in money

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 1st, 2023, 3:06 pm

Pastcaring wrote:Why do you need a book to explain compounding..Wealth is created by sitting on your hands,stops you from doing anything stupid,stops you from putting self delusional rubbish on here.Most importantly it means you can't interrupt compounding.

Hi, Pastcaring!

Happy New Year. We haven't heard from you in a while. How's it compounding? :)

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 1st, 2023, 9:54 pm

There are many good books but one of my favourites is "The most important thing" by Howard Marx

Return to “How Do I Invest”