Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

300k lump some to invest at 35 years old

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: 300k lump some to invest at 35 years old

Postby DrFfybes » November 17th, 2022, 9:20 am

tjh290633 wrote:If the results after all those costs are better than the trackers, they are worth having. My grandaughter's holding has given her 13.86% over the last 19 years.

TJH

2 things strike me here....

1) The last 20 years have (largely) been a bull market and low interest rates. My maths head was struggling with the figures, but if I had a leveraged fund invested in a tracker at the 2011-2021 World return of 11% (say 100k of my capital, and borrowed £10k at 2% interest) then that would also have outperformed the tracker.

2) There are a very very small number of Funds that have consitently outperformed. I agree FCIT has a long history of good returns, but even FCIT has just matched VWRL or VEVE over 3 and 5 years. Other examples are Fundsmith (15% down this year), Nick Train ('It's fine, September is a good month, things are coming back to me'), CTY (pretty stellar TR until about 7 years ago), Woodford (a man who's shine wore off as time wore on). What I don't have or can easily find is how FCIT coped with the crashes and downturns towards the end of the last decade, althogh it is unlikely the same people are still in charge.

I'm not saying FCIT aren't worthy of cinsideration, but all your eggs in one basket? - Than you get on to a selection of ITs, and as Luni's exercise shows, generally that doesn't end well.

As the old saying goes... past returns are no guarantee of future performance :)

Paul

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 17th, 2022, 2:21 pm

Lots of advice to chew through already. Do you have emergency cash available? Some say 6m outgoings in case the recession is worse than forecast.

Consider an offset mortgage when your term is up. You still have access to the cash if you need it and can save the interest costs if you use some of the funds to fill it up. It would be an effective tax free savings at the mortgage interest rate. You don't say when the term ends.

Don't ignore the pension option you get a boost going in so more to grow but access is a concern so mix it up a bit. IHT would be a consideration, you are likely to be over that limit in the future and allowances not growing.

I assume you intend to keep working/earning will that provide the funds to update the property or do you need some of the inheritance.

Investing the full ISA allowance seems a no brainer especially if you can use your partners too and a new allowance will be available in a quarter. This could provide extra income should you need it in the future although don't take anything out until all the unsheltered funds have been used up.

You could end up in a position with a large tax free lump which could provide tax free income to over pay a mortgage later on but its a balance on your risk appetite, time horizon.

You do have time on your side and if you have a low rate mortgage I doubt I would be rushing to pay it off right now.

I will leave others to discuss the investment options you picked. Also you don't have to invest all the money you put in the ISA stright away. Some brokers allow you to buy monthly amounts.

Good luck.

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » November 18th, 2022, 10:12 am

[quote="swill45
Note that if dividends are accumulated they are still taxable, if held in a non-tax-sheltered account. This can cause extra work to calculate liability.

Scott.[/quote]

All the time I have been investing and I was never curtain about that. Thanks, for the info. I learn something every day.

D.L.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 18th, 2022, 10:35 am

As we've seen yesterday, tax changes can change investment decisions. The fact that the OPs 300k is now much more likely to pay CGT means that clearing mortgage on a CG exempt main home is now more attractive. Reducing mortgage payments so you have excess income to go in an ISA later could make more sense

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 18th, 2022, 3:16 pm

I was thinking about this earlier....

Now that any gains on investments are likely to be taxable, .....

Age 35, no kids (apparently), what on Earth is the world coming to??

Why is nobody telling the OP to get out there and splash out on a skiing holiday, and all expenses cruise, and a £100k sports car?

Yoof of today, no sense of priorities.

;)

Erm, so yes, as above, even more reason to pay down debt.

Paul

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 18th, 2022, 3:30 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:If the results after all those costs are better than the trackers, they are worth having. My grandaughter's holding has given her 13.86% over the last 19 years.

TJH

2 things strike me here....

1) The last 20 years have (largely) been a bull market and low interest rates. My maths head was struggling with the figures, but if I had a leveraged fund invested in a tracker at the 2011-2021 World return of 11% (say 100k of my capital, and borrowed £10k at 2% interest) then that would also have outperformed the tracker.

2) There are a very very small number of Funds that have consistently outperformed. I agree FCIT has a long history of good returns, but even FCIT has just matched VWRL or VEVE over 3 and 5 years. Other examples are Fundsmith (15% down this year), Nick Train ('It's fine, September is a good month, things are coming back to me'), CTY (pretty stellar TR until about 7 years ago), Woodford (a man who's shine wore off as time wore on). What I don't have or can easily find is how FCIT coped with the crashes and downturns towards the end of the last decade, although it is unlikely the same people are still in charge.

I'm not saying FCIT aren't worthy of consideration, but all your eggs in one basket? - Than you get on to a selection of ITs, and as Luni's exercise shows, generally that doesn't end well.

As the old saying goes... past returns are no guarantee of future performance :)

Paul

Good point about the Buffett effect, near free money since the 2008/2009 financial crisis. Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway has its large insurance pool of "free money", premiums paid in lieu of claims later being paid out. Great during periods of high interest rates, a distinct advantage, but from 2010 to recent and BRK that more usually was perceived as a relative outperformer has near-as just matched the S&P500 index total return.

What I don't have or can easily find is how FCIT coped with the crashes and downturns towards the end of the last decade

Digging out the 2006 FCIT annual report within which

1998 17.2% share price discount to NAV
2006 11.4%

Initially looked to me as 'comparable', give or take price/NAV variations. I ran figures for both NAV and price based total returns and they both came out at 2.2 total return gain factors for 1997 to 2006 inclusive.

Why they benchmarked to 40/60 UK FT All Share and World excluding UK rather than just World alone ??? From trustnet the more recent breakdown indicates just 9% UK weighting. A pure World tracker alone as a benchmark would IMO be the better comparison. I suspected perhaps the 40/60 choice was a form of sales pitch dressing, otherwise make the annual report data look more appealing, however when I ran MSCI World figures for 1997 - 2006 that came out at a 1.9 total return gain factor.

2008 and FCIT dropped -26% versus -17% for MSCI world (price based total returns)
2009 and FCIT gains +21% versus +16%
Compounding over those two years to -10% versus -4%

Generally seems like a reasonable 'tracker' after (relatively high) costs, but that does involve alpha/leverage (active management) to yield such, additional "risk" elements. And is also still a single stock risk factor. Many might be more comfortable going all-in with a large/major tracker fund provided by a large vendor than that of a single stock. FCIT has more recently been split off, former Canadian conservatives type management to a EU based entity, I believe to simplify otherwise increasingly more complex EU compliance requirements. Sometimes new entities buy-out assets with it in mind to yield better rewards for themselves than what the prior managers yielded.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 18th, 2022, 3:49 pm

DelianLeague wrote:
swill45 wrote:Note that if dividends are accumulated they are still taxable, if held in a non-tax-sheltered account. This can cause extra work to calculate liability.

Scott.

All the time I have been investing and I was never certain about that. Thanks, for the info. I learn something every day.

D.L.

Some years back I was investigated by HMRC (actually a subcontracted group) and it was hell. Repeated demands over months for details that often seemed trivial/irrelevant, but where the demanded timescales were tight, often with the letter having taken over a week to actually arrive from its dated date, and that demanded a response within two weeks of the letter date, that was pretty much a instant turn-around requirement, and where the details asked for could be awkward to dig out such as certificated proof of xyz. Looking back and it feels like once every fortnight or so I had to pretty much put everything else on hold to spend a day just responding to their investigations.

Fortunately I had correctly accounted for the accumulated stock funds that I held, diligently had recorded the data each year and reported the dividends (and revised the purchase prices accordingly). I believe that outfit no longer do the HMRC investigatory work, but I did feel that if I was even a few pennies out then there might have been trouble.

The UK tax rule book is so thick and dynamic it is a concern. I was paying very little tax back then and why I was investigated and so vigorously ??? Policies once again seem to be turning to where HMRC might again become more aggressive in detecting avoidance so ensuring you've actually completed a Self Assessment and keeping your accounts/portfolio relatively simple for that is advisable IMO. I think that I was just a random number pulled out for investigation and where the investigators were targeted with figures that induced finding faults, no matter how trivial that might be, for onward Court appearance.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. But where too simple, single fund with a single provider, can be too concentrated.

Return to “How Do I Invest”