Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Video rotating

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Video rotating

Postby ten0rman » November 4th, 2016, 9:37 pm

As the HWTBC board isn't set up, I'll use this board as an interim measure.

Ok, we have a problem.

My daughter-in-law keeps sending us video's of their 12 month old daughter which we take great delight in watching especially as they live 80+ miles away from us and hence we don't see them as much as we would like. Unfortunately, all the videos are rotated anticlockwise by 90 degrees which makes for awkward, but not impossible, viewing. Ideally, I'd like to rotate them, but it seems as if it might be difficult for me to do, probably because I use Linux Mint v.13. FWIW, I have found that the only video player which seems to work reliably without dropping frames or otherwise mangling the video is GNOME MPlayer. There is supposedly a way of doing it within MPlayer, but it doesn't seem to work and other people have also reported problems with it.

So, I'd like a reasonably simple method, along the lines of A, B, C... - if possible. Any ideas?

MTIA

ten0rman

Meatyfool
Lemon Slice

Re: Video rotating

Postby Meatyfool » November 4th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Turn your monitor on its side?

Meatyfool..

bitstrange

Postby bitstrange » November 4th, 2016, 9:50 pm

Ctrl+Alt and arrow key to rotate your screen..?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 5th, 2016, 2:19 am

1nv35t wrote:
I'd like to rotate them, but it seems as if it might be difficult for me to do, probably because I use Linux Mint v.13. FWIW, I have found that the only video player which seems to work reliably without dropping frames or otherwise mangling the video is GNOME MPlayer

Try running mplayer from the command line with the rotate switch i.e something like

Code: Select all

mplayer -vf rotate=1 videofile.mp4

rotate can be 0 to 7 and 1 is a 90 degree rotation

Actually, mplayer is calling FFmpeg to do the video processing. According to their site http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
The latest MPlayer release is 1.3.0, created on 16/02/2016, which includes FFmpeg 3.0.0.

...so you could just use your FFmpeg itself in at the command line. Documentation here...
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#rotate
...and multiple other ways Ffmpeg can do this are discussed here...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3937387/rotating-videos-with-ffmpeg

Bree. (been using FFmpeg for years, best thing since sliced bread)

RandomWords

Postby RandomWords » November 5th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Windows Movie Maker lets you do this too, open the video, one click and save again. Free download from Microsoft, as part of a package called Windows Essentials IIRC.

<Edit> But obviously that won't run on Linux!

RW

sellinmay

Postby sellinmay » November 5th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Ask you daughter to hold her phone horizontal when making the video.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 5th, 2016, 5:10 pm

sellinmay wrote:Ask you daughter to hold her phone horizontal when making the video.

Brilliant. Just make sure it's the correct horizontal :}

V8

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 6th, 2016, 9:28 pm

RandomWords wrote:Windows Movie Maker lets you do this too, open the video, one click and save again. Free download from Microsoft, as part of a package called Windows Essentials IIRC.

Not for long, you'll have to be quick!
Microsoft wrote:Windows Essentials 2012 suite will reach end of support on January 10, 2017
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

Endo of support means the web installer in the above link (it downloads files from Microsoft when you run Setup) will cease to work. If you want the offline installer (all the setup files in one package) you can find a link to it here.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/aviraj/2012/08/08/microsoft-windows-essentials-2012-download-now/
Again, that download is likely to be unavailable after 10th January 2017.

guaitai

Postby guaitai » November 7th, 2016, 5:06 pm

If you can temporarily gain access to a computer running Windows OS, you can use the free programme "Movie Rotator"
(http://movierotator.com/).
Once the movie is rotated, you can then save it and transfer it back to your Linux machine.
I use this programme regularly to rotate videos taken on my mobile phone where I forget which way to hold it, and find that it works very well.
Hope that helps.
guaitai

IsleofWightPete
Lemon Pip

Postby IsleofWightPete » November 11th, 2016, 9:59 am

If you use VLC Media Player (free download) to view the video, it has an option in Tools -> Effect & Filters -> Video Effects -> Geometry -> Rotate
You can choose from a variable 360 degree rotation for playback.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » November 29th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Hi folks,

I managed to get one of the suggestions to work and save the rotated file - but only for use on the computer! I tried the rotated file on the television which promptly said that it was an unsupported format, or something like that.

I also noticed that the rotated video was quite narrow, presumably chopped down to fit the screen so what we've decided is that we will just put up with it. When all said and done, we haven't got that many and the television screen is big enough such that it isn't all that bad to view the video's on their side.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts - including the suggestions to rotate the displaying unit!!!

Regards,

ten0rman

Return to “Does anyone know?”