Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Renewing Passports

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
jockblue

Renewing Passports

Postby jockblue » December 5th, 2016, 2:16 pm

When does a renewed passport commence from? Is it the date it is issued, or the date when the previous passport expires?

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Renewing Passports

Postby chas49 » December 5th, 2016, 2:21 pm

According to the gov.uk site

gov.uk wrote:"You can renew your passport at any time. When you renew your passport, time left on your existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months."

The new passport starts from the date of issue but runs for the 10 years plus whatever time you still had on the old one (up to 9 months).

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 5th, 2016, 2:23 pm

If you do it before the old one expires, you get up to nine months of the unexpired validity added on to the new one.

Scott.

jockblue

Postby jockblue » December 5th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Excellent both, have a rec....er... :)

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 5th, 2016, 2:41 pm

If you are doing this by post, gather many renewal forms from the post office.

Ignore everything barring the area where you sign it and sign the form, if any of the pen marks are even close to the edge of the box start another form.

Once you've signed a tiny signature, the rest is pretty straighforward if you allocate all afternoon to the task.

B.

Biggles
2 Lemon pips

Postby Biggles » December 6th, 2016, 8:49 am

PrincessB wrote:If you are doing this by post, gather many renewal forms from the post office.

Ignore everything barring the area where you sign it and sign the form, if any of the pen marks are even close to the edge of the box start another form.

Once you've signed a tiny signature, the rest is pretty straighforward if you allocate all afternoon to the task.

That's a handy tip (especially when you have a signature with a mind of its own like mine).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2016, 9:03 am

PrincessB wrote:If you are doing this by post, gather many renewal forms from the post office.

B.

+100!

John

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 6th, 2016, 10:42 am

Oh yes! Years ago we had all four passports stolen about a month or so before we wanted to fly out for my Dad's 70th! I won't forget that experience in a hurry.

Just a bit of advice. Always keep a scanned pdf of the passport somewhere. According to the woman in the embassy, it helped speed up the process. (Not sure how).

Also, keep copies of the application forms. Helps a lot with the next application.

Steve

Bigfoot111

Postby Bigfoot111 » December 6th, 2016, 12:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Just a bit of advice. Always keep a scanned pdf of the passport somewhere.
Steve

I agree. I keep a scan of my passport, driving license and current motor insurance policy in my Dropbox which can then be accessed from my phone, tablet or any computer terminal wherever I am.

Drusse13

Postby Drusse13 » December 6th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I renewed my passport on-line recently and it also allowed a digital photo upload which was checked by the process, sent old one back and within a week, new and old were returned using second class post.

Apart from no forms the new process only had the change that you had to sign on return of the passport on the page itself ( no scanned signature)

Note this was a renewal no changes just 10 years older!

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Return to “Does anyone know?”