Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Importing Wine by Post

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Importing Wine by Post

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 3rd, 2020, 5:11 pm

Since my former source of good wine is no longer convenient[1], I've been poking around online. Today I took a look for Frankenwein. I find I can buy it from a UK site for £15-20/bottle, or from a German site at under €10/bottle for a much better selection of similar wines.

If I can confirm that one or more German retailer will ship me a half-dozen bottles at a fair shipping cost, how does that then work re: tax/duties? If I buy in Germany and carry it back then there's no problem (at least until the end of this year), but does that also apply if I get it delivered by post?

Obviously, same principle applies if I source anything else from abroad. Come to think of it, there are Italian liquors I've missed since coming back!

[1] That's due to the house move, not anything arising from covid.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Re: Importing Wine by Post

Postby robbelg » July 3rd, 2020, 5:43 pm

No problem now but after Jan 1st ?????????

Rob

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 4th, 2020, 10:37 am

robbelg wrote:No problem now but after Jan 1st ?????????

Rob

Yes tariffs could be higher, or zero, and VAT and Excise Duty could be lower (or the same, or higher). Not sure why you want to introduce Brexit onto a DAK thread though. Hopefully just to highlight the potential practical changes rather than for political reasons

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 4th, 2020, 11:48 am

dealtn wrote:
robbelg wrote:No problem now but after Jan 1st ?????????

Rob

Yes tariffs could be higher, or zero, and VAT and Excise Duty could be lower (or the same, or higher). Not sure why you want to introduce Brexit onto a DAK thread though. Hopefully just to highlight the potential practical changes rather than for political reasons

Already implied in my bracketed clause
(at least until the end of this year)

If I shop in person in Germany, I pay German taxes and that's all. I can bring my purchase home with nothing to declare. At least so long as current rules apply.

On the other hand, I believe (with booze) that relies on a personal use exemption from UK duties. If it's not me but a shipping company carrying my half-dozen Bocksbeutels, they're not carrying it for their personal use but as part of a commercial transaction. Does that mean they have to pay duties? Or that I'd have to deal with some Red Tape to avoid such duties, Or ???

Hence the question.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » July 4th, 2020, 12:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:If I shop in person in Germany, I pay German taxes and that's all. I can bring my purchase home with nothing to declare. At least so long as current rules apply.

On the other hand, I believe (with booze) that relies on a personal use exemption from UK duties. If it's not me but a shipping company carrying my half-dozen Bocksbeutels, they're not carrying it for their personal use but as part of a commercial transaction. Does that mean they have to pay duties? Or that I'd have to deal with some Red Tape to avoid such duties, Or ???

Hence the question.

I have bought wine by the case from a Portuguese website (portugalvineyards.com) and I have had no issues with import taxes/red tape. As long as it's only a case or two, I would expect no issues, this year at least.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » July 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 4th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Thanks, yeah, I've been doing some more research on the subject. Looks bad.

It also looks like discrimination that should be illegal. That is, discrimination against those of us without a car to transport stuff personally, and hence against (for example) a range of disabilities.

Markab01
Lemon Pip

Postby Markab01 » July 5th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Like tsr2 I also get wine from Portugal Vineyards. The most I have had in one consignment is three cases. All shipped by courier, ususally TNT.

Reading their website it appears that there are no problems to any EU country except Ireland.
They will ship to Ireland but if is stopped by Irish customs then you would have to pay the duty directly to the customs to get your wine.
Apparently it is rare occurrence for the shipment to be stopped by Irish customs.

Happy drinking
Markab01

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » July 5th, 2020, 4:03 pm

At the moment I'm drinking some lovely white wine from a Hampshire vineyard less than a mile from my home. And I've just taken a delivery of some prize-winning sparkling wine from another vineyard even closer. It's becoming fun to buy from vignerons who I know personally.

The wines are a little pricey but both are highly rated by tasters with palates more sophisticated than mine. Whilst a German white wine can be very pleasant, maybe now is an opportunity to sample something from closer to home?

English sparkling wine is beginning to compare favourably with champagne and I've drunk some which I preferred to 2000 Dom Perignon which was a rash investment some years ago.

regards

Howard

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 5th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Howard wrote:At the moment I'm drinking some lovely white wine from a Hampshire vineyard less than a mile from my home. And I've just taken a delivery of some prize-winning sparkling wine from another vineyard even closer. It's becoming fun to buy from vignerons who I know personally.

The wines are a little pricey but both are highly rated by tasters with palates more sophisticated than mine. Whilst a German white wine can be very pleasant, maybe now is an opportunity to sample something from closer to home?

English sparkling wine is beginning to compare favourably with champagne and I've drunk some which I preferred to 2000 Dom Perignon which was a rash investment some years ago.

regards

Howard

I do drink English wine from time to time, including some that are local. A bit less local, but I particularly enjoy some of the interesting non-grape wines from the Lyme Bay folks: they're a world away from the joke of things like elderberry wine of a generation ago.

But that's not the issue here. I wouldn't be looking to buy them from a foreign vendor!

Return to “Does anyone know?”