Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Proof of address

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Proof of address

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

dealtn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:where is she registered for voting?

Not at this address. She just moved out of her old flat at the end of March.

No official documents have been sent here since...I guess the lockdown may have slowed some stuff down.

John

So what's the institution requiring the proof of address? Does she have to use them for whatever service she is wanting? Surely that will be part of the "What is she supposed to do?" request you made.

It is a organisation that owes her money. They are refusing to let her get the funds until they have the proof of address.

John

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 10th, 2020, 11:17 am

redsturgeon wrote:
dealtn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Not at this address. She just moved out of her old flat at the end of March.

No official documents have been sent here since...I guess the lockdown may have slowed some stuff down.

John

So what's the institution requiring the proof of address? Does she have to use them for whatever service she is wanting? Surely that will be part of the "What is she supposed to do?" request you made.

It is a organisation that owes her money. They are refusing to let her get the funds until they have the proof of address.

John

How did they get her money? The usual route is for funds to be returned the same way, which wouldn't require a prof of address. I can understand your reluctance to divulge details but this seems like there is more to this than your original post suggests.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 10th, 2020, 11:18 am

redsturgeon wrote:It is a organisation that owes her money. They are refusing to let her get the funds until they have the proof of address.

John

Ah in that case, sue them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 10th, 2020, 11:46 am

I think they are just trying to be stroppy but she is speaking to them today to resolve the matter. It's less than £50 so not worth suing.

John

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I think they are just trying to be stroppy but she is speaking to them today to resolve the matter. It's less than £50 so not worth suing.

John

Small Claims Court......always worth it.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 10th, 2020, 1:08 pm

richlist wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I think they are just trying to be stroppy but she is speaking to them today to resolve the matter. It's less than £50 so not worth suing.

John

Small Claims Court......always worth it.

Agreed. Their reason for withholding payment would be laughed out of court, and I'm reasonably sure the court fees can be added to the claim so she won't be out of pocket.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

AF62 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Also her driving license with this address is not acceptable.

Seems rather odd not to accept an official document, which has legal penalties if you do not update it to the correct address.

Was there any answer to this?

Lootman wrote:If you think about it there is no valid reason why a bank or credit card issuer should need to know where you live. Only how to reach you.

Knowing were you live is handy if the bank needs to send the bailiffs if you don't pay your overdraft or credit card bill. A post office box is less helpful to them.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 10th, 2020, 2:05 pm

AF62 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Seems rather odd not to accept an official document, which has legal penalties if you do not update it to the correct address.

Was there any answer to this?

Lootman wrote:If you think about it there is no valid reason why a bank or credit card issuer should need to know where you live. Only how to reach you.

Knowing were you live is handy if the bank needs to send the bailiffs if you don't pay your overdraft or credit card bill. A post office box is less helpful to them.

And you're unlikely to get credit if you aren't able to show that you live at the address you give.... In fact, might it be seen as fraudulent to give an 'incorrect' address? If the form you fill in says "postal address" you might reasonably argue that you are entitled to give an address at which you can receive mail (whether or not you live there). But if the question is "where do you live", or "how long have you lived at the address given", the PO Box is not going to work so well..

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

chas49 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

And you're unlikely to get credit if you aren't able to show that you live at the address you give.... In fact, might it be seen as fraudulent to give an 'incorrect' address? If the form you fill in says "postal address" you might reasonably argue that you are entitled to give an address at which you can receive mail (whether or not you live there). But if the question is "where do you live", or "how long have you lived at the address given", the PO Box is not going to work so well..

As I mentioned before, most forms just ask for "address" and that term is ambiguous. I elect to regard that as meaning postal address.

The only type of business that I regard as having a legitimate reason to know where I live are insurance companies, since they assess risk based on your postcode. So our property and motor insurance policies do work off our residential address.

I have had no problem getting credit using my POB address. In fact I'd probably have more trouble getting credit if I used an address that is different from the one used for all my other financial dealings.

The government requires your residential address for some purposes, such as passport.

As well as greater privacy there are other benefits to using a POB. You don't have to change address details when you move house. And there is always someone there to receive and sign for parcels and packages.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Lootman wrote:
chas49 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

As well as greater privacy there are other benefits to using a POB. You don't have to change address details when you move house. And there is always someone there to receive and sign for parcels and packages.

Yes I'm sure but there's usually a cost associated with having a POB and some of us are far to tight to pay someone to take our parcels for us......especially when we don't move house that often either.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 11th, 2020, 9:35 am

AF62 wrote:

The gov.uk website for dvla seems to be very contradictory on this point. In some cases (e.g.students) it explicitly says you don't have to update your address, it must just be "an address where you can be contacted" (e.g. Parents, POBox). In other places it says you must update your address whenever you move. Not sure what the actual law says?

Gryff

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 11th, 2020, 10:28 am

I think the OP's question has been answered.......what to do = small claims court. Usually just the threat is enough to result in payment.

It doesn't matter what documents are valid or not......she only has a driving licence......so that's all she can offer.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 11th, 2020, 10:51 am

Thanks for all the answers.

I will lock the thread now.

John

Return to “Does anyone know?”