Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Lockdown (How many questions have there been?)

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
eepee
Lemon Slice

Lockdown (How many questions have there been?)

Postby eepee » September 19th, 2020, 10:26 am

Daughter (adult) is going next week for a week's break to a hired static caravan, some distance away from home.

With all this talk about a possible lockdown, she wondered what the rules might be if it happens whilst away.

Answers perhaps have to be based on what happened the last time.

Lives at A, holiday at B.

If lockdown declared at B whilst at B, does she have to return home? Stay at B?

If lockdown declared at A whilst she is at B, does she have to return home? Stay at B?

Needless to say there are loads of variations based on the above, but an opinion on the basics would be welcome.

Regards,
ep

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: Lockdown (How many questions have there been?)

Postby vrdiver » September 19th, 2020, 2:57 pm

We are currently planning a trip away (in a motorhome) next week.

My assumption, unless corrected, is that if a lockdown is declared at the holiday location, we, as non-residents, will vacate*, either to somewhere else or back home. If lockdown is declared back at home, we will (again, as non-residents of our holiday location) return home whenever we want.

If a national lockdown is declared, we will return home a.s.a.p..

My logic is that a lockdown will force the camp-site operators to close, effectively evicting us. I assume this would apply to your daughter's situation as well.

VRD

*unless the lockdown is declared with immediate effect and a no-exceptions order goes along with it, I'd expect to leave before it came into effect.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 20th, 2020, 7:32 pm

An acquaintance of mine was away on holiday when lockdown started. They had to stay where they were until rules were relaxed, when they came home.

It might be different this time.

TJH

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » September 21st, 2020, 6:07 pm

Thank you for your responses.

Tomorrow is the traveling day!
.............. and a government announcement later in the day!!!

The one thing she has decided to take that normally wouldn't travel are pillows.

Regards,
ep

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 21st, 2020, 8:42 pm

ISTR there being a massive operation to fly home something like 11m people back to the UK after the first lockdown began. (Goodness knows why but that's for a thread on another board). Point being, that travelling home from holiday after lockdown started seemed to be classed as reasonable excuse to be out and about, but this time around things may be different and I don't think you can rely on this.

Bottom line is nobody knows and if she goes away on holiday when lockdown is imminent, well, she'll have to deal with the consequences.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 21st, 2020, 11:40 pm

Mike4 wrote:ISTR there being a massive operation to fly home something like 11m people back to the UK after the first lockdown began. (Goodness knows why but that's for a thread on another board). Point being, that travelling home from holiday after lockdown started seemed to be classed as reasonable excuse to be out and about, but this time around things may be different and I don't think you can rely on this.

My parents are still getting weekly emails from the foreign office wishing them well and updating them on the fact that there's no progress on repatriating them from Australia (despite them having told them they made their own way back in April)

- sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 22nd, 2020, 10:13 am

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:ISTR there being a massive operation to fly home something like 11m people back to the UK after the first lockdown began. (Goodness knows why but that's for a thread on another board). Point being, that travelling home from holiday after lockdown started seemed to be classed as reasonable excuse to be out and about, but this time around things may be different and I don't think you can rely on this.

My parents are still getting weekly emails from the foreign office wishing them well and updating them on the fact that there's no progress on repatriating them from Australia (despite them having told them they made their own way back in April)

- sd

Have they been deported yet, or do they have something more than tourist visas? ;)

That sounds like classic UK officialdom if you're not an insider. Like the time since I put myself on our local housing list in 2005. Or my late mother's wait for urgent cancer treatment deceptively promised by the NHS.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 22nd, 2020, 10:31 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:

- sd

Have they been deported yet, or do they have something more than tourist visas? ;)

Yeah that's funny now! But back in April we'd started looking in to the paperwork!
They only overstayed by about 3 weeks beyond their original return date; just at the point when the FO said everyone that could, should make it back to the UK under their own steam (their original carrier had stopped fights in mid March)
Got a good discount on the flights too as no-one was flying business!
I expect they'll be getting the email updates forever, which will likely be before they've sorted out the travel insurance claim!

-sd

Return to “Does anyone know?”