Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

DAB radio interference

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

DAB radio interference

Postby Arborbridge » January 21st, 2021, 4:50 pm

Moderator Message:
This has become more of a tech discussion so probably off-topic for DAK. Moving to Computers etc (chas49)

DAK if 12v LED lamps can effect a DAB signal?

Until a few weeks ago, I had no trouble with my DAB radio reception (though quite a lot with FM) but then the signal seemed to become weaker so reception became worse.

I started to replace my recessed kitchen downlighters with new bulbs as they burnt out over a couple of months. At first I noticed nothing, but now I've replaced four or five of them and then noticed this problem with the radio. Without the lights on, the signal does seem stronger - but what it the mechanism for degrading it? There must be transformers in the circuit, but there was before using LEDs. I've only changes the bulbs, nothing else.

So, is it my imagination? can the signal really be affected by LEDs?

Arb.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: DAB radio interference

Postby XFool » January 21st, 2021, 5:11 pm

...Are they dimmable, or ON/OFF?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 21st, 2021, 5:36 pm

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 21st, 2021, 6:08 pm

...Um.

Couple of subsidiary questions. Is DB radio mains operated? Can you get strobing effects from one of the LED bulbs? Such as moving open fingers rapidly in front of eyes, or from say fast dripping tap in kitchen?

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 21st, 2021, 6:28 pm

i fitted some in our caravan , as filament bulbs get too hot .

12volts DC .

yes , there was some interference with DAB radio , cant remember what exactly .

:)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 21st, 2021, 9:33 pm

Absolutely yes. If your DAB signal is anything less than strong, turning on the LEDs stamps it out in my experience.

Switch to internet radio instead. DAB is decade-before-last obsolete technology.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 21st, 2021, 10:43 pm

Another reason to be glad I stocked up on incandescent bulbs!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 22nd, 2021, 1:03 am

Mike4 wrote:Absolutely yes. If your DAB signal is anything less than strong, turning on the LEDs stamps it out in my experience.

Switch to internet radio instead. DAB is decade-before-last obsolete technology.

Maybe my problem but how do I get internet radio in my kitchen? ( ie a strong enough signal and do I want that anyway?)

I do not appreciate that sort of comment especially when I am just beginning to understand DAB for goodness' sake!

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 22nd, 2021, 8:15 am

Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Absolutely yes. If your DAB signal is anything less than strong, turning on the LEDs stamps it out in my experience.

Maybe my problem but how do I get internet radio in my kitchen? ( ie a strong enough signal and do I want that anyway?)

I do not appreciate that sort of comment especially when I am just beginning to understand DAB for goodness' sake!

Dod

=================================

internet via wifi is a massive pain .

cant get wifi in many places , if you can you have to go through the fiddly login process .

DAB is the future and will get much better when FM is finally switched off .

8-)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2021, 8:27 am

jackdaww wrote:internet via wifi is a massive pain .

cant get wifi in many places , if you can you have to go through the fiddly login process .

Internet via wifi of course isn't the only option. Usually fine for the home, but not when out and about.

Internet radio via the mobile data network, on the other hand, has a lot going for it. Mobile data is very cheap these days, with the right deal.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 22nd, 2021, 8:31 am

swill453 wrote:
jackdaww wrote:internet via wifi is a massive pain .

Internet via wifi of course isn't the only option. Usually fine for the home, but not when out and about.

Internet radio via the mobile data network, on the other hand, has a lot going for it. Mobile data is very cheap these days, with the right deal.

Scott.

When I am out and about (unless in my car) the last thing I would want is a radio.When I am out and about I listen to the sounds of the countryside.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2021, 8:42 am

Dod101 wrote:When I am out and about (unless in my car) the last thing I would want is a radio.When I am out and about I listen to the sounds of the countryside.

You're lucky, when I'm out and about I'm not always in the countryside.

Scott.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 22nd, 2021, 8:45 am

XFool wrote:...Um.

Couple of subsidiary questions. Is DB radio mains operated? Can you get strobing effects from one of the LED bulbs? Such as moving open fingers rapidly in front of eyes, or from say fast dripping tap in kitchen?

Mains, yes. Strobing? Not quite sure what you expect to see - moving fingers create a strobe anyway, but I can't see a difference between LED and non LED bulbs.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am

Internet radio works brilliantly for me. I use my iPhone.

I mostly use the BBC "Sounds" app (for all BBC output) installed on my phone and this turns the phone into a portable radio. The sound quality from the iPhone 8 is astonishingly clear and easy on the ear compared to previous versions of iPhone and to my DAB radios which have all fallen into disuse. When within my wireless router the phone logs into that for its signal and when I move out of wireless range it seamlessly swaps to 4G data.

When driving, the van hifi picks up the BBC Sounds output from the phone by wireless Bluetooth and broadcasts radio through the built in sound system in really good hifi. The main reason for still using the BBC Sounds app on the phone while driving is the ability to use the BBC Sounds library to ANY BBC programme I like when driving. So When "Womans Hour" is being broadcast live, I can be listening to "Inside Science" which I missed yesterday or the unmissable "More Or Less" with Tim Harford, which I missed.

When outside, say gardening I can still listen without inflicting my radio choices on anyone around by using my neat and tidy wireless Bluetooth earpiece.

All this excellent functionality slotted into place when I finally upgraded my phone account to include unlimited data.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 22nd, 2021, 8:59 am

What an interesting subject, and it's brought out some views on radio too.

From what people say, it isn'y my imagination, and LEDs can effect DAB. As for DAB being yesterday's technology, that's a laugh! In terms of radio and the duration of radio history, it's only just been invented and still hasn't been fully accepted by the population. I've noticed the signal from my phone played through the bluetooth connection on my radio is much better than the dodgy reception on either FM or DAB. But outside the house, this isn't an option because I have a minimal phone contract.

As for data (and mobile data) becoming cheaper: not everyone can afford endless data for radio or TV. Why should people who can ill afford it find it necessary to cut themselves off or pay out additional cash? I think talk of the BBC eventually going all streaming is a bad idea for many people, and as a society - particularly with regard to the things which "bind" us like news and entertainment - we should look after everyone, not just the well off. Which is also an argument against those virtually non-tax paying disruptors dipping their hands into our pockets.

FM works quite well in the car - though I rarely have it on because of the road noise - and I believe DAB didn't catch on due to fears of loosing signal. I can't see internet radio in cars being practical due to the cost of data. It makes no sense to have people pay additional costs when there is a good "free" system available.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 22nd, 2021, 9:06 am

Mike4 wrote:Internet radio works brilliantly for me. I use my iPhone.

So When "Womans Hour" is being broadcast live, I can be listening to "Inside Science" which I missed yesterday or the unmissable "More Or Less" with Tim Harford, which I missed.

When outside, say gardening I can still listen without inflicting my radio choices on anyone around by using my neat and tidy wireless Bluetooth earpiece.

All this excellent functionality slotted into place when I finally upgraded my phone account to include unlimited data.

But that means you miss the unmissable Woman's Hour!

This system is well and good for those who want to spend the earth. At one time, radio was egalitarian and cost almost nothing - now the authorities seem to be colluding into making it a high end occupation for those with excess income to mop up. This is not a helpful social trend. Nothing against you, Mike, or what you are doing, but I do see the way things are going (like so many developments in modern life) as being socially divisive.

I guess we should stop this conversation or continue it elsewhere as we will be ticked off for being OT on DAK. My fault.

Arb.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 22nd, 2021, 9:10 am

Arborbridge wrote:As for DAB being yesterday's technology, that's a laugh! In terms of radio and the duration of radio history, it's only just been invented

Eh?! DAB has been around for decades!

Launched as a public broadcast service 26 years ago : "the BBC and Swedish Radio (SR) launched their first DAB digital radio broadcasts on 27 September 1995" and first designed way back in the 1980s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_A ... oadcasting

The main reason for failure of the public to take it up is because it is old tech that simply doesn't work very well.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2021, 9:15 am

Arborbridge wrote:As for data (and mobile data) becoming cheaper: not everyone can afford endless data for radio or TV. Why should people who can ill afford it find it necessary to cut themselves off or pay out additional cash?

You don't really need "endless" data. I have a £10/month contract that gives me 10GB/month. I listen to Radio 4 on BBC sounds every day when I'm out walking the dog, plus lots of email, browsing etc. and I still only use about a tenth of my allowance every month.

(The unused data goes into a "piggy bank" to be used if I ever need it. I've got 130GB in it at the moment.)

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 22nd, 2021, 9:22 am

/LW/AM/FM v DAB v online v whatever.

whatever.

WRT listening to radio services...

We use DAB on "radios" in the house when appropriate.

We use Freeview and/or firestick TVs in the house when appropriate.

We use devices (phones, laptops in the home office) via their own speakers when appropriate.

We use devices via bluetooth speakers when appropriate.

We use stero/hifi systems via amplifiers and speakers when appropriate.

We use car "radios" either via its inbuilt AM/FM/LW (dependent on "radio"!), or bluetooth/AUX connection to a device.

80 years ago the only option was a large, heavy wireless set that was powered by a mains plug and was not at portable. Today there are a plethora of choices all of which offer alternative options from which to choose the most appropriate to any particular environment and requirment.

meh.

Whatever.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 22nd, 2021, 9:23 am

swill453 wrote: I have a £10/month contract that gives me 10GB/month. I listen to Radio 4 on BBC sounds every day when I'm out walking the dog, plus lots of email, browsing etc. and I still only use about a tenth of my allowance every month.

(The unused data goes into a "piggy bank" to be used if I ever need it. I've got 130GB in it at the moment.)

Wow. That is excellent Scott. Which provider please?

didds

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”