Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Choosing a powerful and reliable torch?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Choosing a powerful and reliable torch?

Postby stevensfo » December 5th, 2021, 9:12 am

I have two old and large torches that are showing their age; one is an old rechargeable with old fashioned bulb, the other takes four D-batteries and has a LED bulb. The former loses its charge quickly, whereas the latter is just not very powerful.

I have great respect for Makita cordless tools (My strimmer is as powerful as a 240v mains strimmer!) and found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DML185- ... ng&sr=1-11

I sort of assumed that with an 18v battery, it would knock the socks off other torches. But apparently it is only 160 lumens.

Then I saw some much smaller torches, e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAGORY-Torch-P ... 221&sr=1-4
3000 lumens and only requires 3 x AAA batteries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-T ... 21&sr=1-28
10,000 lumens, rechargeable lithium.

I'm totally confused. What's going on here? How come the massive 18v Makita is only 160 lumens, a tiddly 3xAAA (4.5v) torch is nearly 20 times more powerful, not to mention the 10000 lumen torch.

Apart from some sort of explanation, I'd be interested in any recommendations. We need a reliable emergency torch that's powerful to use in the garden, and that keeps its charge for a long time.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Choosing a powerful and reliable torch?

Postby servodude » December 5th, 2021, 9:26 am

There's LUMENS and "Chinese Lumens"
Much like peak music power wattage (PMPO anyone?) in 80s "hi fi"
Find a real review - or if it's cheap enough risk it!
-sd

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 5th, 2021, 9:53 am

I've had a cuple of products from Nightsearcher.

Their website appears to have had a hideous revamp which means things are harder to find, so my worklight (or the replacement) is now under automotive, althought mine is 300lm and USB charger so they have changed the range a bit. Several years down the line it stil charges up in an hour or so and will run all afternoon on minimum setting (which is perfectly adequate for working in a loft for example). Oddly you need to go into "shop" to find out the prices.

We live on an unlit unmade road so a wide spread of light is more useful for lurching back from the pub, but I would not hesitate to go to these people for anything else and we are getting a Galaxy worklight for MrsF's potting shed as it is a lot cheaper than running power down there.

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 5th, 2021, 10:31 am

I'm still on the learning curve. We've always needed powerful night torches for our camping expeditions, so when my old battery-powered (bulb) lantern finally bit the dust, I bought a Draper jobbie that combined a power-sipping LED bulb with a lead-acid battery. I mean, what could go wrong?

Sadly, the battery degraded quickly unless you kept it permanently on charge, and that really wasn't what we'd bought it to do. Within three years it wasn't holding more than half an hour's charge, which was ridiculous. :(

So it was back to hand-held LEDs that used three AA or AAA batteries. (Standard batteries seem to last longer than rechargeables.) We bought several, from different manufacturers, and most of them give a pretty good light. But some (such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Hangi ... 08DJBNNJJ/) have suffered from the internal spring-loaded battery terminals corroding - and that dims the light and eventually makes it unreliable. And there just doesn't seem to be an answer to that unless you keep them permanently stored in a super-dry location.

One that has never failed me in the workshop is this one from Parkside (Lidl etc), https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353781059140. Ours is the preceding model that didn't use a USB charger, but it's very robust and takes a lot of knocks, and the magnetic base is also useful.

BJ

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 5th, 2021, 11:06 am

Ledlenser are are a German company. I've used some of their smaller torches. You can see their range here. https://ledlenser.com/en/products/flashlights/

Maybe the P7:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-P7-Pen-Aluminium-Buttons-Rotary/dp/B076CPDPK4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ledlenser+p7&qid=1638700520&s=lighting&sr=1-2

450lm max, 7 year warranty, aluminium.

or the P14: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ledlenser-500901-Professional-Torch-Black/dp/B075FYXKY9/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=led+lenser+p14&qid=1638701435&s=lighting&sr=1-2

800lm/250lm/40lm.

or the 1000lm P17r if you are feeling splashy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-501049- ... ing&sr=1-1

Suspect keeping charge is going to have more to do with the batteries than the torch. Not having them built in means you can simply swap them on a rota if necessary every x months... I'm assuming rechargeables will be useable but a little less good, so charging every x months would also work. If they are built in rechargeable you could leave them plugged in to an £8 smart plug and deliver an hours charge periodically to ensure they are always primed for use.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 5th, 2021, 11:24 am

Just last week been on the prowl for torches.

One to keep in each car, for emergency.
And one for the house where OH needs a torch to look in the kitchen cupbds... never let it be said that I fell down in the Christmas present department.

All new torches seem to have multi-mode. On, flash, flash more, strobe... arrrgh. All I want is on/off :x

So in the end I bought a Draper workshop light to keep in the car, it comes with a fiddly USB charger - another backwards piece of 'progress' - but at least it only switches on and off.

For the kitchen, I bought a vintage Maglite that takes D cells, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294590093624 plus two rechargeable D cells https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292160741649 and a charger https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393739354695
Rechargeable batteries do lose their oomph over time, it's worth replacing them rather than ditching the torch.

V8

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 5th, 2021, 11:44 am

I like a mag light, 2 AA cell or 4 D being my weapons of choice (literally for the 4D model), my oldest must be 30 years old and have had LED upgrade.
A few people have mentioned rechargeable batteries - for those using clones of AA or D cells it's worth noting that the rechargeables are only 1.2v compared to the disposables at 1.5 volts, the more batteries you need in the device the more pronounced the under power becomes.

For the car and shed I use rechargeable worklights like these https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-recharge ... 00lm/613kf
I have had about a dozen at work and in the past 6 years only one has packed up as the batteries will not hold charge. I've tried a few models and my current picks do have swappable battery packs.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » December 5th, 2021, 12:44 pm

I bought two of these from Screwfix.....they're very bright but quite heavy.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-rech ... &gclsrc=ds

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » December 5th, 2021, 4:06 pm

I recommend AP Pro series torch. It has a CREE 'bulb' and takes two AA batteries. Two controls: 1) on/off and 2) beam adjustment. Robust metal case.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2021, 5:46 pm

I've found LedLenser to be well made and reliable - but I've only used the smaller hand torches (single AA/AAA)
I've also got a 2D Mag Lite with an LED bulb upgrade - works well and doubles as a hefty truncheon should the need arise
There are an awful lot of pretty unreliable torches around now - seems to be a 'Lumen war' going on with ever more outrageous claims made for torches
High Lumen levels are achieved by (a) lying (b) overrunning the LED chip which flattens the batteries quickly, and reduces reliability particularly if the heatsinking is poor

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2021, 6:02 pm

kempiejon wrote:..
A few people have mentioned rechargeable batteries - for those using clones of AA or D cells it's worth noting that the rechargeables are only 1.2v compared to the disposables at 1.5 volts, the more batteries you need in the device the more pronounced the under power becomes.

Rechargeable (NiMH etc) are a fairly flat 1.2V per cell through their discharge cycle
Non-rechargeable start out at 1.5V per cell but drop to ~0.8V end of life

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 5th, 2021, 6:05 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've also got a 2D Mag Lite with an LED bulb upgrade - works well and doubles as a hefty truncheon should the need arise

Another vote for MagLites here. We have four of them sprinkled around the house so one is never far away if we have a power cut.

Had not considered their use as a self-defence weapon, as I have a baseball bat in the hallway. :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 5th, 2021, 6:14 pm

If I'm out with the Mag Lite there's no way I can be done for carrying an offensive weapon. Not so a baseball bat, particularly one with nails driven through it :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 6th, 2021, 4:37 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:If I'm out with the Mag Lite there's no way I can be done for carrying an offensive weapon. Not so a baseball bat, particularly one with nails driven through it :)

The lights many people walk with these days are more offensive weapons than a mere baseball bat. Bloomin' long range too: you can't run away, and in any case you're too blinded to try.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 6th, 2021, 4:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:I have two old and large torches that are showing their age; one is an old rechargeable with old fashioned bulb, the other takes four D-batteries and has a LED bulb. The former loses its charge quickly, whereas the latter is just not very powerful.

Surprised by two things: That your LED torch takes four D-Cells, LED's frequently use three cells. Also that it is "not very powerful", in my very limited experience LED torches are very bright and far from lacking in power. Is it a very early one? (Yes... "old and large") How many LEDs does it use - nowadays it would usually be just a single 'poached egg' LED.

That said... I know it doesn't help, but years ago now, after being frustrated at being unable to source a simple, cheap, reliable long lasting torch, I came to the conclusion that they likely didn't exist. That the only real function of a torch, from a manufacturer's pov, was to sell batteries (plus bulbs, in those days).

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 6th, 2021, 6:01 pm

XFool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I have two old and large torches that are showing their age; one is an old rechargeable with old fashioned bulb, the other takes four D-batteries and has a LED bulb. The former loses its charge quickly, whereas the latter is just not very powerful.

Surprised by two things: That your LED torch takes four D-Cells, LED's frequently use three cells. Also that it is "not very powerful", in my very limited experience LED torches are very bright and far from lacking in power. Is it a very early one? (Yes... "old and large") How many LEDs does it use - nowadays it would usually be just a single 'poached egg' LED.

That said... I know it doesn't help, but years ago now, after being frustrated at being unable to source a simple, cheap, reliable long lasting torch, I came to the conclusion that they likely didn't exist. That the only real function of a torch, from a manufacturer's pov, was to sell batteries (plus bulbs, in those days).

It's a large Varta torch - standard model, rests on its side, handle on top etc and yes, 4 x D-batteries. Yesterday, I decided to charge the three Ni-MH AAA batteries in a small but fairly powerful torch, even though it was still working. The difference was amazing! So I reckon that the 4 D-batteries are just close to their doom and I should replace them.

Yes, the Varta is probably an early model. One small LED.

Though my initial post was less about specific torches and more about how their strength is measured. It seems to me that this 'lumen' business is a load of rubbish. How a torch with 3 x AAA batteries can produce 20x brighter light than an 18v torch is just plain daft. If pressed, I trust the Japanese Makita brand so I can only assume that the makers of the Chinese torches are just spouting outright lies.

Steve

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 6th, 2021, 6:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

Rechargeable (NiMH etc) are a fairly flat 1.2V per cell through their discharge cycle

I don't think rechargeable batteries make sense in a torch* - horses for courses. Or rather, when you need a horse, don't use an ostrich.

* Not for ordinary domestic use of a torch. Unless you do use it every single day for a few hours.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 6th, 2021, 6:30 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

Well, I don't agree that rechargeable batteries hold the same charge for always, as I pointed out in my last post, recharging my NiMH AAA batteries made a huge difference in brightness.

However, I've had so many experiences of old 'normal' batteries being flat when I need them, that I tend to use rechargeable whenever possible.

Though I always have a few normal AA and AAA for those times when a remote control stops working and I've forgotten to charge my NiMHs! ;)

Steve

eisman
Lemon Pip

Postby eisman » December 6th, 2021, 6:49 pm

Kempiejon wrote:

I agree that the nominal output voltage for AA batteries is 1.2v. However, I have numerous rechargeable AA batteries from Aldi and/or Lidl branded 'Tronic' and 'Activ Energy' which, when fully charged, provide output of 1.35v to 1.4v. These are NiMH high capacity (2300 mAh and 2500MAh) that have been in use for some years and are regularly recharged, so will doubtless have lost some capacity (whether this affects output voltage I do not know).

I have no experience of rechargeable D batteries, but I have some Ansmann NiMH rechargeable C batteries (3500MAh) which provide similar output of 1.35v to 1.4v when fully charged.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 6th, 2021, 6:57 pm

stevensfo wrote:Though my initial post was less about specific torches and more about how their strength is measured. It seems to me that this 'lumen' business is a load of rubbish. How a torch with 3 x AAA batteries can produce 20x brighter light than an 18v torch is just plain daft. If pressed, I trust the Japanese Makita brand so I can only assume that the makers of the Chinese torches are just spouting outright lies.

Steve

Well, you can run a 3 xAAA torch a lot brighter than a 18V jobbie - just not for that long. It's particularly easy with a switch mode power supply, but it's down to how much energy you are dragging out of the cells, not the voltage

Return to “Does anyone know?”