Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Choosing a powerful and reliable torch?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Choosing a powerful and reliable torch?

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 6th, 2021, 7:02 pm

eisman wrote:Kempiejon wrote:
A few people have mentioned rechargeable batteries - for those using clones of AA or D cells it's worth noting that the rechargeables are only 1.2v compared to the disposables at 1.5 volts, the more batteries you need in the device the more pronounced the under power becomes.

I agree that the nominal output voltage for AA batteries is 1.2v. However, I have numerous rechargeable AA batteries from Aldi and/or Lidl branded 'Tronic' and 'Activ Energy' which, when fully charged, provide output of 1.35v to 1.4v. These are NiMH high capacity (2300 mAh and 2500MAh) that have been in use for some years and are regularly recharged, so will doubtless have lost some capacity (whether this affects output voltage I do not know).

I have no experience of rechargeable D batteries, but I have some Ansmann NiMH rechargeable C batteries (3500MAh) which provide similar output of 1.35v to 1.4v when fully charged.

Yes, certainly off-load (i.e. measuring with high impedance voltmeter)
But have a look at the last graph here.
https://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm
You can see that 1.2V nominal is a good rule of thumb

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 6th, 2021, 8:50 pm

XFool wrote:...That the only real function of a torch, from a manufacturer's pov, was to sell batteries (plus bulbs, in those days).
C.f. The Selfish Gene. C.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » December 6th, 2021, 9:39 pm

I use a 6-D Cell Maglite fitted with an after market 530 lumen LED bulb.
The high brightness bulb gives excellent illumination and range dependent on the torch head adjustment.
The huge battery capacity means that running out of juice is a rare event. The current Duracell batteries are still going fine after 5 years, albeit with fairly infrequent use. Being a Maglite spares are readily available as I found out after dropping it in a bonfire !
Basically it's a torch for your lifetime, and you can probably leave it to the kids in your will. If I ever mislaid it I would buy another without hesitation.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 6th, 2021, 10:00 pm

6-D Cell Maglite - definitely a 'house torch' ! My 2-D is heavy enough....

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » December 12th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I have/use a bicycle headlight/torch made by Cateye. takes 4 LR6 batteries, Mine's years old and not amongst the archive products but the range is extensive: https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/

useful beam chart for comparing different lumens:

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/headlights/HL-EL6000RC/

Amazon sells different makes of bicycle headlights.

(No connection).

Also a torch bought from Homebase - similar design to the image here: https://www.homebase.co.uk/6-smd-led-light/12815368.html
I paid just over £1 each for my two: from the link the price has gone up.

(ditto)

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 14th, 2021, 8:30 pm

Back in the old days ( well ok, the late 90’s) when Maglite was king, I bought myself a small AAA Peli light. It blew the equivalent Maglite away. I had seen a friends Peli diving torch and had been impressed by the build quality and brightness, but I was still amazed at how good this wee tiny AAA torch was.

The one I owned was lightweight, tough, painfully bright and day-glo yellow making it easy to find if dropped outdoors. Then some **** stole it from my car along with some camera equipment.

Peli are best known for their equipment cases, used widely by professionals (film crews, photographers, military, scientists, engineers etc) the world over for transporting and protecting valuable and delicate items in the harshest environments. Their torches are of similar quality and are similarly widely used by military, police, divers, firemen and rescue services where reliability is critical.

Best torch I’ve ever owned, couldn’t recommend them more highly. Certainly worth considering alongside Maglite or Lenser depending on what you need (and how much you want to spend)

And they have a lifetime replacement guarantee (although unfortunately not for theft!!!)

BH

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 14th, 2021, 9:12 pm

I had an early Peli torch (around 1986-88)
It was very good but when the lamp unit went (incandescent of course) you had to replace the whole bulb/reflector unit - which from memory was over a third of the cost of the whole thing

Return to “Does anyone know?”